Code of Conduct

Default Long story about a dinner party....

So the other night my wife is having three friends over for a dinner. She does this sometimes – they get together and talk about girl stuff and I generally vacate the premises. But Sunday I had a lot of writing to do, and decided to stick around. Well, one of her friends apparently noticed some of my fragrances in the bathroom and they called me down to inquire about my strange hobby. I think my wife was a little mortified at first, but I have no shame and jumped into a conversation with these ladies. Now, just for background, let me say that these women are all attractive, urban, and well educated professionals. And all of them, initially, stated that they really did not like men to wear fragrance. As we discussed it became clear that they had all the traditional complaints – men wear too much, it’s too strong, it all smells the same, and it made their eyes water, made them nauseous, etc. They were shocked that I would even wear fragrance because I am notoriously metrosexual and not their stereotype of the gold chains wearing, Camaro driving stud who slathers himself in Dolce and Gabanna (please excuse me if this is a favorite of yours. I’m sure you have taste. Unfortunately it is also a favorite many too many men in this town, most of whom wear too much if it in very enclosed spaces.) My wife jumped in to defend me trying to convince them that yes, while most men have no clue about fragrances, her hubby was the rare exception, and that I even (shocking!) wear unisex or women’s fragrances from time to time.
    So, to jump to the meat of the story, we started pulling out bottles, decants and samples, and testing fragrances. This was a wonderful opportunity for me to get some real feedback on some of my favorites from women other than my wife. So the results? What follows are some brief and incomplete notes from the evening. Feeling bold? Read on.

The ones they all loved, unconditionally: Dzing! This surprised me, but they didn’t even find it that weird. My wife has always maintained that it smells best on skin, so two of her friends left that evening clutching small testers of Dzing! My wife’s most beautiful and normally reserved friend stated out loud that she would jump on any man wearing that scent. Weird. They also had much love for Eau des Iles by MPG, Piper Nigrum, and Tea for Two. Especially Tea for Two.
    I was interested in their responses to Piper Nigrum. This was the fragrance that we agreed smelled completely different from “traditional” men’s fragrances, and it became sort of a measuring stick for them against which they compared many of the other fragrances.

Not unpredictably they got a kick out of the Comme des Garcon’s stuff. They all liked different things, with Kyoto the big winner, though they all agreed it was a comforting scent rather than a sexy scent. Second place went to Palisander or Odeur 53, depending on who you asked.

Blu Notte, Boucheron, Erolfa, Guerlain’s Vetiver, and Magnitism were all deemed, “too much like traditional cologne”. Now, I like these fragrances, but I thought that the feedback was interesting.
    A*Men was a split decision. I gave my bottle away to my wife’s best friend, but the other’s thought it was too much.
    So those are some of my admittedly wine-addled recollections from a fun evening. I encourage you to try this in your own home. I learned a lot. The biggest shocker? They all, without exception, hated Egoiste. Someone explain that please.
    Thanks for listening.
    Slim

Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Long story about a dinner party....

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins
    The biggest shocker? They all, without exception, hated Egoiste. Someone explain that please.
    They're insane! How's that for an explanation.

Great story. I've had some similar experiences (though I'm single) - I've invited company into my fragrance closet when they've expressed some interest. The most recent time was two women at my house for dinner just two weeks ago. One thing that I think is true of everyone, our impressions are deeply affected by mood, timing, and context. I think clearly that your crowd was biased (perhaps by some of your own pontificating - I've done the same) toward non-traditional scents. That perhaps made them dismiss classics like Vetiver and Boucheron. I myself had the same reaction toward classic scents until just recently (too "cologney&quot. I bet you could frame your presentation differently and they'd flip for those scents.

Great story Slim!

i think all of us have that reoccuring "fantasy" were we can sit some girls down, be completely open and shameless and open about our hobby, and get their comments on each of our frags. I haven't had that happen, but I always get a kick out of every time i have a party and somebody goes to take a leak, and the next time I go in there, I can see the bottles have been moved (Yeah, i know its like Cathy Bates in Misery with the North facing ceramic penguin!)

A few times before going out to the clubs, some of my friends have asked to use some of my cologne, and I use that as an excuse to get their opinions of such freaks as Kouros, CDG2, Skai, L'Eau Bleue Issey and others.

One of my friends was really intrigued by Kouros. He said "I can't tell if it's good or bad, its just really different". He ended up wearing Himalaya, because i was still trying to determine if my bottle was bad and I wanted to see how it smelled on someone else. He liked it, and I had fun telling him how much it retails for.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Well, these ladies appearently did not like cologne smelling colognes and isn't that why they didn't fall for Egoiste? To me that one is just plain and boring... cologne?

Great story though! Great fun reading it.

"They all, without exception, hated Egoiste."

I'm surprised myself...actually not really. The name says it all. It demands presence, power and attention...a strong charactered frag. I think it might be an intrusive frag to others around. Women I've been told have a very keen sense of smell, and chances are we might be less sensitive to some components of a frag that some women might be put off by.

I was surprised when I wore SMW, one woman said that it smelled like toilet cleaner! I blame it on the "pee" note that some have referred to. SMW is like heaven to me, I smell that note, but it's soon gone, but I'm a tad self-conscious about what others are smelling...is it because I got used to that note even though it could possibly be something persistent and reeking? Do women know better???

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Interesting story slim shady!
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    "They all, without exception, hated Egoiste."

I'm surprised myself...actually not really. The name says it all. It demands presence, power and attention...a strong charactered frag. I think it might be an intrusive frag to others around. Women I've been told have a very keen sense of smell, and chances are we might be less sensitive to some components of a frag that some women might be put off by.

I was surprised when I wore SMW, one woman said that it smelled like toilet cleaner! I blame it on the "pee" note that some have referred to. SMW is like heaven to me, I smell that note, but it's soon gone, but I'm a tad self-conscious about what others are smelling...is it because I got used to that note even though it could possibly be something persistent and reeking? Do women know better???
    No, women don't know better. Heh.

I think their reaction to Egoiste was because of its Strong Presence. Some of the fragrances they smelled had a much stronger presence and are much more intrusive. Eau des Iles being the biggest powerhouse out of all the fragrances tested, and is without a doubt, the most intrusive.

There is a note or accord in Egoiste that can be off putting (To me at least). It smells a bit like green tea. I don’t know how to explain it, but I can see how some one doesn’t like Egoiste (At least in the opening). Egoiste really shines in its drydown.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I enjoyed your story.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I like reading these scent stories. Really fun!

You should have started it like this, though:

Dear Penthouse Letters,

I have never written a Penthouse letter before but...................

Then you should replace your wife's friends with the Sweedish Bikini Team and work on the ending a little bit.

Egoiste, to me, is a definite love/hate fragrance. There rarely seems to be any in between. I'm strongly on the hate side. This one actually makes me nauseous.

So ... I don't think it's all that unusual to have 3 or more people at one time dislike this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta get me a sample of DZing.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. You gave away your bottle of A*men? You must have left a good impression.

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    Egoiste really shines in its drydown.
    Very right about Egoiste on the drydown...one of the best! And my real attitude about frags is that it's all about ME. Women will have to just take it or leave it. Hehe! Don't really care if SMW smells like toilet cleaner to them...a good bunch of people here share the same attitude about how good it really is.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    ...our impressions are deeply affected by mood, timing, and context... I bet you could frame your presentation differently and they'd flip for those scents.

Precisely Baron. Moods define what we like or dislike.

This is the reason why most fragrances tend to smell just right in certain times of the year, while at other times you wouldn't want to approach them with a 10 foot pole.
    Seasons affect our moods. Our present state of mind affects our moods. I'd bet if our friend SlimPickins had decided to casually veer the conversation to something related to Halloween, then the women at the party would have chosen something 'dark' and appropriate to suite the occasion -- something in the lines of Messe de Minuit perhaps.

As for the Egoiste, suffice it to say that my girlfriend likes it so much that she buries her face in my jacket every time I wear it. She often asks me to bring it along so that she could wear it herself on our outings.

SlimPickins, that was a very fun story; I really enjoyed reading it. I'd like to suggest an idea the next time there is a gathering in your house: see if you can steer the conversation to a particular subject, and then present the women with the appropriate set of colognes relating to that. It should make for a fun experiment!

I totally agree. Egoiste is such a "love or hate" fragrance. Egoiste has been one of my favorites, but mostly negative feedbacks I've got so far have been dicouraging me. To me, the combination of some fruits (plum? blackberry?...have no idea) and sandalwood is just beautiful. But according to one of my best friends, "it smells so egocentric! It does not particularly smell either masculine or even feminine. All I can smell is some kind of "fermented plums beyond the expiration date" ..." This was a devastating comment to me... I still wear Egoise, though. I've been looking for some other fragrance in the same line (not to say I will stop wearing Egoiste), and so far I've found two. One is Oliban (Keiko Mecheri). To me, it's more masculine interpretation of Egoiste, and I love it. The other one, which I found out recently, is Bois des Iles (Chanel). It smells like pure fruits+sandalwood, without any masculine notes added. Smells kind of like Egoiste, but very balanced (not to say Egoiste is not balanced) and kind of pleasantly unisex (as opposed to egoistic being "neither masculine nor feminine&quot. I've had two positive comments on Bois de Iles so far.....

VV