Code of Conduct

Default Comme de Garcons 2

I just acquired CdG 2 and 3 in a trade, tried on 2 today, going to wear three tomorrow.

I'm not sure what I think yet, this is the most odd smell I've ever encountered. My girlfriend was totally repulsed by it and I can totally understand why. I think the appeal is more that it was actually produced, not an "Oh god I can't wait to wear it" type thing. True, the ink note is very unique, but it's such a cold, metallic/robotic industrial type smell. It smells almost like a machine shop when I first spray it on. The incense note flits in and out throughout the dry down along with a smell a bit like rubber. The ink is the dominant note through out, it smells better a few hours later. Right now it's a pretty curious mix of ink and a powder/vanilla smell with a touch of woods. I have no idea where I'd wear it really. I couldn't wear this at work, it's the antithesis of a romantic scent, I can't see it working in a club, it's very strange.

Any one else have any thoughts on the smell?

Default Re: Comme de Garcons 2

For me it starts off smelling like ink, mostly from the sumi ink note. I get that for about 15 minutes or so. Then it turns into a very flowery/powdery female smelling perfume. I don't find its one uni-sex at all. I think it's better off worn only by a women. It doesn't smell unique to me either. It smells like any other mainstream womens perfume that is highly powdery. It's only really unique for about 15 minutes ,and when the ink note fades everything just gets boring.

Well, I just put on my first frag since I got sick last week and wasn't able to wear anything.

And I happened to choose CdG 2 EDP.

I've had an up and down relationship with this one. I loved it til one day I was hanging out with my brother and he got really nauseous all of a sudden. I don't know if it had anything to do with the CdG 2, but the association stayed in my mind. Sometimes it seems really thin, piercing and tinny. Brassy smelling almost, except with a silvery hue, true to the bottle. Very metallic but I like the fruit note in it alot. It smells like Hawiian Fruit Punch! i just wish some of the perfumey booziness was toned down a little, with maybe more weight in the base notes.

Today though i'm liking it. I really dig the ink notes. My mom used to have a business doing professional calligraphy so this scent really triggers warm memories of helping her paint signs and clean the pens and brushes. I fought most of my whole childhood with my mom, because we were both hard headed, but I got my creativity and my sense of aesthetics and my overly critical nature from her.

I do think this scent can be a bit on the feminine side, however I think I probably only started to really feel that way after CdG released CdG 2 MAN, as if to say, "No, you stupid boneheads, CdG 2 EDP was for chicks, THIS one is for you!" LOL.

CdG 2 EDP can be overwhelming in the wrong situation, but I think its a very good sillage scent. Sometimes it can make you feel claustrophobic if its all you can smell. Not one where you want to smell it in every breath, but rather one of those that comes off of you as lift your hand to scratch your chin, pondering something deep. It works best under a shirt on a cool to cold day, especially outdoors.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

I've used this one for quite some timenow, but I have a hard time figuring it out. The frist time I tried it on I didn't quite fancy it, I just thought of it as girlish. But now I've changed my mind completely (and I do wear more female scents haha) about it. I truely love 2, but it's such a chamaeleo scent. I will wear it today I think, to work even. Haven't done that before...

I think the key to whether one likes this fragrance or not is indeed the ink note. The more I wore the scent, the more it reminded me of my early days of schooling before I typed everything one a laptop, back when I actually used a pen that had a penchant for leaking every few pages. It made me smile once I made that link, reminded me of youth and feeling comfortable.

2 is a great scent, I have no problems taking it with me to work, sea or forest, it's fine everywhere. but... in a bottle, not sprayed out much!

After several hours on the skin, I noticed something. When the fruitiness goes away and the vetiver comes out and plays off the metallic edges, the smell is similar to Timbuktu!

I woke up this morning after putting on CDG 2 EDP some time last evening and I could smell it quite strongly on my arm, and at first I thought I had been wearing Timbuktu. I don't know if its "floral" but 2 has that kind of sheen to it that is kind of hard on the nose. A very high pitched, sometimes shrill smelling frag. The fruit and metal come together to remind me of the smell of canned pears or something. I just wish there was something weighty to tone down those metallic feedback squalls that radiate. Maybe the spice note needs to cut through a little more. More shadows to balance the shine. Its like trying to sleep and having that one annoying beam of moonlight coming through the shades and stabbing you right in the eyelids. That's what bugs me about CdG 2. Its so close to being amazing, but it just takes never quite feels relaxed enough.

I've said before that I'd love this one on a woman, but after having it and being familiar with it, it wouldn't have that mystery if I gave it to a sleepover friend or whatever. Still, I have this one, Helmut Lang EDP, and Nu EDP to loan to any future girlfriends.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

Have got to say guys that 2 is right up there with my top faves. I'm Chinese by descent and also spent hours and hours grinding ink and painting and doing calligraphy... so I may have a completely different relationship to that smell of ink than many others.. BUT I do really love the metallic, cold aldehydic interplay over the bracing orange notes and then the slightest whiffs of vetiver and sandalwood...
    It's not everyone's cup of tea perhaps but it does something that very few other fragrances do for me...
    It protects and energizes me all once....
    And it centres me

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I found nothing really different (bad) about CdG 2. Maybe because I was smelling scents like crazy, but I actually enjoyed it. Maybe a bit femme, but not enough to make a deal out of it. I'm going to have to back eventually and make it the first thing I smell, but I like it as of now.

Oh, just to update (and a bit off topic,) in a previous post, I originally said Creed Love in White could be worn by men comfortably. Erase that. I guess I didn't get the full impression the first time, it's most definitely a feminine scent. Don't know what I was thinking... :-?

Did you try #2 Man, or the original #2? I own and wear the original #2, but just bought #2 Man for my DH and it is a much better fragrance, IMO. I like the original #2, but sometimes the cumin note gets to me.

#2 Man is a great blend of vetiver & saffron, and the development is really good - softens nicely and blends with the skin after wearing it for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SaborDeVida
    Did you try #2 Man, or the original #2? I own and wear the original #2, but just bought #2 Man for my DH and it is a much better fragrance, IMO. I like the original #2, but sometimes the cumin note gets to me.

#2 Man is a great blend of vetiver & saffron, and the development is really good - softens nicely and blends with the skin after wearing it for a while.
    I agree. For me, the initial impression of 2 Man was horrible. I couldn't stand the stuff. But it had a great drydown, and I'm now thinking of purchasing it. I haven't had a chance to smell Gucci PH yet, which some people commented as smelling similar to 2 Man, but this was my first encounter with a really woody fragrance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zenman7 View Post
    Have got to say guys that 2 is right up there with my top faves. I'm Chinese by descent and also spent hours and hours grinding ink and painting and doing calligraphy... so I may have a completely different relationship to that smell of ink than many others.. BUT I do really love the metallic, cold aldehydic interplay over the bracing orange notes and then the slightest whiffs of vetiver and sandalwood...
    It's not everyone's cup of tea perhaps but it does something that very few other fragrances do for me...
    It protects and energizes me all once....
    And it centres me
    Oh man reading all of this make me think i am anosmic to the ink, i could sense mandarines, cold, aldehydic, iso e super, but ink? Silage?:-) i dont know what you are talking about:-) zero for me!:-)

So i may be anosmic to that ink ?

Post Thanks / Like

No reason not to revive a thread that is almost 8 years old

I don't find the ink note very prominent, but to me it is definitely sumi - traditional ink used for calligraphy in Japan (don't know about China and other parts of Asia...) that has to be prepared using water and an inkstone. so it may not come across as an ink note for everyone.

I find it to be mainly aldehydic florals - powdery transparent rose - with a sumi note and a hint of incense. Quite feminine, not that weird and very wearable. I don't find it to be at all industrial/robotic and, to me, it reads as clean, airy and transparent rather than cold.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Darjeeling thank you!! thats what i get as well, very easy to wear, and i dont notice it overall much! must wait for hot days, during the summer my nose just works so much better

its feminine , airy , clean , transparent yes...i wrote it reminds me of spider net cathedrale , huge building of solid structure just hardly visible

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get much ink per se. But then I'm thinking about our regular western ink. I have not smelled sumi, so perhaps it's that. Stone and ink - there is indeed a mineral, watery note in CDG2, so perhaps it's that.

(I do get western ink in the vile M/Mink, where it enhances powerful aquatic bilge notes. A similar effect was developed in a much more interesting way in HdP petroleum. both frags are of course at the other extreme from the transparent feel of CDG2).

cacio

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

So where are the fragrances that smell like old Magic Markers, or better yet that peanut-buttery smell of old mimeograph sheets freshly inked?