Code of Conduct
    Radames6571

Default Tam Dao, a redundant purchase?

I have Floris Santal and have Santal Nobile on the way. Would purchaing Tam Dao be redundant?

Default Re: Tam Dao, a redundant purchase?

Tam Dao is much softer than the other 2 sandalwoods you have. It has almost an incense basenote. Tam Dao has the power to calm me down. I have a few customers who are into yoga and they love Tam Dao.

I believe it won't be redundant at all.

I might be a few fries short of a happy meal, but I'm fairly positive there's no cedar in Tam Dao. In terms of listed notes on the internet, all I've seen is rosewood, ambergris, and sandalwood. I could be wrong, but I just purchased a fragrance with cedar as one of the main notes and don't smell any in Tam Dao which comes across as almost a pure sandalwood type of scent--hence, the lack of development. The closest to Tam Dao would probably be Floris Sandalwood, both sharing many characteristics. Floris Santal is quite a bit different with a lot more zest, spice, and development.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

I am of the opinion that everyone needs a bottle of Tam Dao in his wardrobe. As far as I concerned, Santal Noble is nothing like Tam Dao, which is more monastic. It's a fairly stripped scent and very easy to wear, whereas the SN is almost too rich at times, with an unctuous quality from the coffee note that borders on coconut during hotter weather. I have longevity issues with Tam Dao but this doesn't deter me from applying it (overly).

There's a seller on eBay who has Tam Dao for about fifteen dollars under retail for a new bottle.

Absolutely Fresno!

I am a great fan of Diptyque fragrances, and *Tam Dao* is one of my favorites. It’s is as pure a sandalwood fragrance as you'll find. It has all the rich turpeny qualities of natural sandalwood, which some find a little harsh and a little grating on first application, but it soon settles into a beautifully dreamy, woody creaminess as it dries down.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 23rd May 2007 at 06:32 AM.

That's interesting. I was sure there was a strong cedar note in Tam Dao, but perhaps there is a quality in the mix that merely suggests cedar without actually using it.

Thanks Scentemental!

I don't doubt there are some similarities with cedar and sandalwood, as well as some other wood notes as they're all "woody". But cedar has always been fairly recognizable as my parents have a cedar chest back home. It's always had that faint wood-burning kit smell to it whereas sandalwood is smooth and creamy.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    That's interesting. I was sure there was a strong cedar note in Tam Dao, but perhaps there is a quality in the mix that merely suggests cedar without actually using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    Thanks Scentemental!

I don't doubt there are some similarities with cedar and sandalwood, as well as some other wood notes as they're all "woody". But cedar has always been fairly recognizable as my parents have a cedar chest back home. It's always had that faint wood-burning kit smell to it whereas sandalwood is smooth and creamy.

Cypress tends to be have a sweet, balsamic quality to it, with a slight smokiness. This is where maybe the confusion with cedar is occurring, but unlike cedar, cypress does not have that pencil shavings dry wood quality to it.

Interestingly, Texas Cedarwood, Virginian Cedarwood, and Cypress all belong to the same family, Cupressaceae, but their constituent formulas are very different.

scentemental

I agree with scentemental. Cypress is probably what comes across as cedar.

On me Tam Dao is a pretty accurate rendition of sandalwood. Doesn't smell like much else to me at all.

I just received a sample of Tam Dao and as a first impression I found, on my skin, a striking similarity with Salvatore Ferragamo for men... Anyone else notice this resemblance ? :-?
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

My 2 cents regarding Tam ao v. Floris Santal:

Tam Dao is a very dry, veryWOODY fragrance.

The Floris is much more floral to the point of being "Barber Shoppy".
    The Floris is very Britrish in this regard.

If you want Sandalwood with no dilution Tam Dao is the way to go.

B.G.

I accidentally (happens a lot) sprayed Blenheim Bouquet (Penhaligon) on the wrist where I had just put Tam Dao about 20 minutes before. I actually found the combination scent irresitibly beautiful. The citrusy top of Blenheim Bouquet is more dominant than the woody one of Tam Dao, but this mixed fresh-citrusy-sharp-woody top is very cool. The middle to the dry-down turned out to be beyond description. The combination of buddhistic sandalwood (Tam Dao) and sharp/sexy pine (Blenheim Bouquet) is just almost something I've been looking for. Masculine, sharp, sexy, sensual, spiritual and religious at the same time. It was so impressive that I am just about to seriously wonder if there's fragrance which actually smells like this mixed product...

VV