Code of Conduct

Default Polo Black and Corduroy by Zirh. First impression.

Hello gentlemen.
    I just tried new Polo Black and Corduroy. I hate to dissapoint you but... well

Polo Black. It does not associate with black color at all to me. It's rather green and smells like a reworked version of Dunhill Fresh. It also has some resemblance to Z Zegna but less fruity.

Corduroy smells like a lighter and less spicy version of Tommy Bahama for men.
    I like Zirh's creation better.
    You know the first impressions are often wrong and I definetely need more sampling but I've been waiting for Polo Black badly and it kind of let me down.

Now I'm waiting badly to try new Dior Homme

Default Re: Polo Black and Corduroy by Zirh. First impress

Wow I was going to start a thread on the exact same 2 fragrances. I went to Bloomingdales yesterday and didn't even know these existed. I sprayed one on each arm. Polo Black was very disappointing, it lasted a long time but it reminded me more of Boss Soul but not even as good. It also had no development from top to base notes.

Corduroy I had never even heard of but it had a big display of its own so I tried it out. This one wasn't strong at all but it was pleasant. A smooth scent somewhat woody and somewhat creamy. This one isn't bad but doesn't stand out either.

I also tried Hugo Energise which really sucks! I tried a few other new ones I can't remember right now. All the new scents are pretty much the same to me, nothing great but nothing too horrible.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Corduroy was a let down for me it just too mutted and realy doesn't develope or go anywhere it has the been there before feel. *The bottle reminds me of Reaction but in smokey gray glass and stout. www.corduroyfragrance.com

Polo Black really impressed me the most the bottle is eye catching and the feeling is fresh warm spicy.

I also tried the new Azzaro Onyx which also impressed me nothing ground shaking but well done fresh scent that slides to a amber feel.

Both will be on my to get list.

I have not sampled the Corduroy yet but have sampled Polo Black. I feel that PB is impressive also. There is a hint of spice and yes this is warm. I do believe that this will do well in cool weather as well as warm weather. Can't wait for this to launch because I will have this for sure.
    I also want to sample Dior Homme and Arpege Pour Homme. Davidoff's scent will come to the states next year along with Gaultier's new scent and I want to sample these as well.
    I was not impressed by Energise. Givenchy's V I is a pretty decent scent. True Star Man is....well....never mind.
    Gary

i smelled Polo Black from a magazine. all i got were the sweet, fruity top notes. from your descriptions i'm guessing its sweet and fruity like Energise with a musky drydown.

speaking of new releases i also saw an ad for Kenneth Cole Signature. i believe it was a square bottle with a wooden cap and yellow juice.

The new Gaultier is the one i'm REALLY looking forward to. I just may order it from Europe when it first launches.

As for the other new releases,if they come to the few dept. stores (Lord & Taylor,Kaufmans,Bon Ton) in my area,i'll test them,but if not....i have WAY TOO many fragrances as it is.

Hmmm....that Black XS sounds pretty good to...

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I just smelled Black in a magazine ("Cargo&quot at the gym tonight.

The very definition of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    I also tried Hugo Energise which really sucks! *I tried a few other new ones I can't remember right now. * All the new scents are pretty much the same to me, nothing great but nothing too horrible.

everybody said that sucks and nobody can review it..or write the reasons...
    im very exciting about this fragance (and sure i have to wait some months to smell it [smiley=embarassed.gif]) for me their fragances are great, comfortable (for my age)and very originals, im not an expert fragances but i think i have great taste, some Hugo fragances are awful, yeah but most of them are really great...

i hope the new energise could be a hit like the hugo classic ...

[smiley=evil.gif]

I sampled Energise at Kaufmanns..... very lite, very lite too me. Nothing like any of the other Hugo Boss, Hugo, Boss, scents. I'll say it this way..."Not Interested".
    IMHO they have launched too many at one time...It is overwhelming....Del Mar is the best so far....Boss Soul is not bad either. Del Mar and Soul are way better that Energise IMHO of course.
    Gary

Yvan

An internet search turns up these notes for Corduroy by Zirh:

Aquacoral (described as the aroma of undersea coral!), Grapefruit, Mandarin, White Lavender, Cardamom, Bay Rum Accord, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Davana, Suede, Virginian Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Guaiac Wood, Kashmir Wood, Vanilla, Tonka Bean. *

Judging from the notes they list, you'd think it would be good. Oh, and if you rub two bottles of Corduroy together, do they make that sound? [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    As for the other new releases,if they come to the few dept. stores (Lord & Taylor,Kaufmans,Bon Ton) in my area,i'll test them,but if not....i have WAY TOO many fragrances as it is.
    Me too! *I hardly need another bottle of anything, but I guess it's okay to check out new ones once in a while.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by breeze11
    Polo Black. It does not associate with black color at all to me. It's rather green and smells like a reworked version of Dunhill Fresh. It also has some resemblance to Z Zegna but less fruity.
    I got to sample this tonight. I totally agree w/ you about it being similar to Z Zegna. I like the scent...just not on me. Same w/ Polo Blue.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

When will PB be released?
    Also, whats wrong with Boss Energize? Is it fairly longlasting or not?

There was a strip for Corduroy in Maxim and it smelled really good

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I'm not sure of the exact date, but the SA said October.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Polo Black is already out in many stores (it's rather hit miss as to which ones however) but it doesn't officially launch until October.

I'm curious about this one. I really like the look of the bottle, but I really wish people would stop coming out with "black/night/noir/dark/midnight" scents.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Polo Black is already for sale at Bloomingdales in my area.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Ok, better go for Hugo Boss Energize ?

Yvan

I just tried Corduroy. *It smells a lot like something I smelled before (maybe not the best sign, creativity wise!), and I think that other scent is Armand Basi Homme, though Corduroy seems to have a little more wood or more cedar than ABH, and I don't get any fruity or citrusy notes from ABH like I do with Corduroy. *ABH has some light floral notes; maybe the floral note I smell in Corduroy is the lavender, though it smells a bit like a lily note. *

breeze11 said it reminded him of Tommy Bahama; I think I tried that and it was kind of tropical-fruity, and I find Corduroy has a slightly similar, but light, fruity nature (as opposed to citrusy.) *And I agree with what AZsmells said about it being pleasant, smooth, somewhat woody and somewhat creamy. *I smell the nutmeg/cinnamon a little. I don't notice the suede note at all. *

It's lasted about 3 hours. *And I kind of agree with AZ about how Corduroy isn't bad but doesn't stand out either. *It does strike me as at least slightly synthetic, and I think too much might make it a little cloying. *Still, it's pretty nice, and I might give this one a 2nd try. *But it's not a totally new scent, in terms of how the notes come together.

I tried Polo Black the other day, too: I was also disappointed. Not great, not terrible... just so-so. But I didn't care for Polo Blue either.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Also, whats wrong with Boss Energize? Is it fairly longlasting or not?

Energize is like Eternity for men its very long lasitng and your nose will shut it off. This going to be one of the scents that young guys are going to take a bath thinking its not long lasting.

Darn when I spray it....the scent takes over the whole room.

The new Polo Black bottle is quite striking and this is where the creative money and talent were focused. The scent is very much like the Armani Black Code, but vapid, dead, and truly
    black in sensibility.

I was going to start a poll about whether big edt manufacturers might start competing with niche-market competitors. Guess I'll wait a few more decades.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Yvan

I sampled Corduroy for a second time today and decided I won't buy it--to my nose, it's almost identical to Armand Basi Homme, which I already have, and I still think ABH is superior. Corduroy does smells good and may appeal even to those who've tried ABH but find ABH has too much vanilla.

So, a month later, what do you guys think about these August releases?

I still love Corduroy.