Code of Conduct

Default The Perfume Shoppe, Vancouver

Hey everyone, i just wanted to give my review of a great retailer in the Vancouver area. The Perfume Shoppe is run by a wonderful woman who is passsionate about what she does, and the store carries a wide array of niche fragrances as well as discontinued and hard to find designer scents. (see www.theperfumeshoppe.com for the entire list).

I dropped in today to have a look after reading Dave's recomendation in a recent thread (Dave i gave you credit for the word of mouth and she was very grateful and said you were a wonderful guy) and the store owner (Nasrin) was kind enough to help me through samples of at least fifteen fragrances, some of which she personally picked for me to try based on my skin tone and preferences. I was like a kid in a candy store with all these amazing scents, but i finally left with a bottle of Dzing! and small bag of sample vials which were free of charge.

Anyone in the area looking for a great selection of niche and hard to find scents should definitely go out of their way to visit, i was very impressed.

Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

Default Re: The Perfume Shoppe, Vancouver

How are the prices over there? *I'm guessing by the website that they are a little more upscale than what I'm used to. *I'm pretty new to fragrances, and I'm looking for stores in BC that have some discount colognes. *I know there are two stores in Metrotown, one is Gallery of Perfume, and the other is called Distinction or Definitions (or something like that). *I really like Gallery of Perfume, they have good selection and the times I went, they had a fair share of discounted colognes. *I got Azzaro Chrome, and Hugo Boss Elements Aqua for $30 and $20 respectively. *And I should've picked up Gucci Envy for $20 also.

Yeah the prices are definitely higher than discount shops, and are very high for some items like the Creed frags (apparently the distributor has jacked prices way up). This would be somewhere you can find a scent that you absolutely love and don't mind paying for, or for an extravagant gift.

I think i may have been to one of the discount shops you mentioned in Metrotown, they have a really pushy sales girl and they always try and sell me Perry Ellis Reserve and this Clinique Happy knockoff that they claim is an original scent...Anything i was actually interested in seemed to be retail price and they were clearing some really boring run of the mill stuff. A good discount shop is hard to find..I think i'll see if I can locate Fragrance Gallery though, sounds like they have a better thing going.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

WOW it's nice to see some guys from Vancouver. I live here as well and I've been to the Perfume Shop as well. The selection is pretty good on both niche and designers scents. The price of all the scents in the store are pretty much what you can expect around the world in any perfume shop.

The other two shops in Metrotown are okay. The "Definitions" store isn't that great. There really pushy and they also suggest something that your not looking for. Last time I went they told me to grab Diesel Green and some of the Versace Jeans scents. Also they never let you spray from the bottle and all there scents are locked away behind glass doors that they have keys too. They only let you smell from the bottle top. The only good thing they have is a nice miniature bottle collection against the back wall. It's a great way to try a lot of fragrances at a low cost. They also have Paloma Picasso Minotaure(hard to get, no longer made) mini there.

The Gallery of Perfumes is probably one of the better stores. They got a whole lot of designer stuff at great prices. Some of the SA's are very pretty and nice, and really friendly to talk too. They also have 4.0(120ml) bottles of Creeds going for $140-160 Canadian a bottle. They don't have all the Creeds but the more favourable ones like GIT, SMW and MI. They also have great deals on gifesets and they also have a great selection of miniatures. Probably my second favourite store.

The Bay and Sears are probably only good for run of the mill designer stuff but there prices are way to high, you can get cheaper prices else where. If you go to Superstore they also have a small sized Fragrance counter. Nothing too special but really great prices on a lot of designer scents. Check out Shopper Drugs Mart as well for deals around Mother and Fathers Day. Wal-Mart also has Swiss Army and Sung Homme at 20 bucks.

Overall Vancouver isn't' too bad for fragrance shopping.

By the way I bought L'artisan Voleur De Roses from the Perfume Shop. A must own fragrance if you live in Vancouver. The scent works wonders in the rain. You guys should try it out

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi

By the way I bought L'artisan Voleur De Roses from the Perfume Shop. A must own fragrance if you live in Vancouver. The scent works wonders in the rain. You guys should try it out
    Isn't this just a fabulous fragrance?

If you like that one, try Wet Garden by Goth Rosary. THe purest flower garden smell ever bottled.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    The other two shops in Metrotown are okay. The "Definitions" store isn't that great. There really pushy and they also suggest something that your not looking for. Last time I went they told me to grab Diesel Green and some of the Versace Jeans scents. Also they never let you spray from the bottle and all there scents are locked away behind glass doors that they have keys too. They only let you smell from the bottle top. The only good thing they have is a nice miniature bottle collection against the back wall. It's a great way to try a lot of fragrances at a low cost. They also have Paloma Picasso Minotaure(hard to get, no longer made) mini there.

The Gallery of Perfumes is probably one of the better stores. They got a whole lot of designer stuff at great prices. Some of the SA's are very pretty and nice, and really friendly to talk too. They also have 4.0(120ml) bottles of Creeds going for $140-160 Canadian a bottle. They don't have all the Creeds but the more favourable ones like GIT, SMW and MI. They also have great deals on gifesets and they also have a great selection of miniatures. Probably my second favourite store.
    Lol, I know what you mean about the Definitions store. *They let you smell the bottle top, wow. *Talk about cheap. *And when I asked them how much some of the products were, they told me they were discontinued, or they just looked at me funny and refused to tell me the price. *So I'm thinking, "So why the hell do I see three bottles of it right over there".

And about the SA's at Gallery of Perfumes... I agree, there's one with a Russian sounding accent, talk about fine! haha

wow vancouver,havn't been there since the world expo in 1986,didn't get any frags,had a few labats blue though,what a great time,if I could pick a fragrance I have now to wear then,it would have been...hmmm...

Lets just say "Definitions" isn't the greatest Perfume Shop in Vancouver. The SA's tend to focus on trying to sell as many fragrances as possible and don't really care if you like it or not. I also know what you mean about the whole discontinued thing. When you ask about a fragrance they don't carry they say it's discontinued which isn't always the case. I often find it that I know more about fragrances then anybody in the store. They often lie a lot as well. They often give false information on retail prices on fragrances and say they give so and so discount. Overall I'm not every pleased with the store, truly not a great perfume store for a lover of fragrances. The store is only good for buying a fragrance you've already smelt before and can't find it anywhere cheaper then there.

I don't know of any other Discount Perfumes Shops in B.C. There was one in Loughed Mall that was okay but that closed down recently. There's also a few downtown but the prices are a bit high. Your better off buying at The Gallery of Perfumes. They don't have a large niche fragrance collection but they got a lot of designer scents at good prices, and again the European women that work there are always a pleasure to talk too .

MV, I'm so glad you went there! It's so cool to support a privately owned, small business store owned and run by such a knowledable and nice lady.

If you guys and guys are looking for niche/artisinal scents, and/or some nice designers (she had a bottle of Jules for like $60 US 3.3oz), this is a place to check out via their web site. Due to the favorable exchange rate (US to Canada) it can save you a few bucks or maybe more.

I had so much fun there. I was on the phone to Julian/IPFTN as we agreed to split a bottle of Lutens' Mein de Bois, and I was spraying samples on my wrist and describing the frags at the same time! I lady was having a blast and I think she was really excited that someone was so jazzed about fragrance. I, too, left with a ton of samples...I also discovered the Laura Tonatto line.

"Definitions..." I remember going into a frag store on one of the main streets around Vancouver Center (where the flahship Sears is, but now it's an Eatons?) that hada good selection, but I was instantly set upon by a gang of Asian women who WOULD NOT let me simply browse and spray. Is this the store? Their aggressiveness and sales pitch finally made me leave the store without buying anything.

There's also a store called Lush which has wonderful soaps and other goodies.

Yeah, she's a pretty nice lady I try to support her as much as I can but I'm often tempted by the price of decants here on BN and with prices that online retailers have. I think I might stop in during the winter to grab a bottle of MPG. Maybe either Santal Noble or IB Gris.

There's a few Fragranec stores that I've been too in Downtown Vancouver, but I totally forgot about them. The prices on some of the frags just sent me away. Creed MI and SMW 75ml bottle were going for $270 to 280 canadian. I had there website a long time ago but I forgot it. Anyways they weren't that great.

Both "Definitions" and "The Gallery of Perfumes" is located in Metrotown mall, which is in Burnbay. I think it's the largest mall in B.C. This about a 20 to 30 minute drive before the Dowtown area. If you come down here again Dave, try to check out Defintions. You'll get what I mean. The worst service you'll receive at a Perfume Shop. The Gallery of Perfumes is nice as well. They don't have much niche besides a few Creeds, but they got a good designer section with amazing prices. And if all fails you can always chat up the pretty SA's with your fragrance knowledge .

The one I was thinking of was downtown, on Davie or Burnaby or Denman or Burard or something.

I bought my Etro Messe de Minuit from another on-line retailer for much less than the $79 Canadian they have it listed for-look for the best deals out there!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Sounds like a great gal, and a great place to visit, but her prices are VERY expensive compared to what one can get almost anywhere else.

Oh well.