Code of Conduct

Thread: new cologne

Default new cologne

In the market for something new, enticing, long lasting and pleasing to the opposite sex - ive tried everything out there except for a few and havent come up with anything

my current collection is simple
    platinum egoiste
    VS II
    bulgari black

im considering
    - bulgari aqua

please make some suggestions - help out

anyone hear anything about the new azzaro onyx?

Default Re: new cologne

Not to knock the designers at all, but I'll just say I spent alot of time and money buying designer stuff, before i discovered the magic of some of the niche stuff.

Of my designer stuff here's what I've found the most pleasing to women: YSL M7, Rive Gauche PH, Michael for Men, Chanel Allure, DKNY Men, Hanae Mori, Extreme Polo Sport, Cuiron, Amen, Mugler Cologne, Dreamer.

Of the more niche stuff. Passage D'Enfer has an unbelievable effect on women. I think what i like about the niche stuff, is this: They don't smell as much like something you went to a store and bought, they smell like an aura that you radiate, they seem more like part of you. And this comes off like confidence to women. And this is why i think CdG is my favorite house, because their scents really give you an air of mystery and artistic confidence. I'm not proud of this, but I got a bottle of Jaisalmer the other day and the first night I wore it out, I got some late night action. Anything from the Incense series would be great in this regard.

I think it took me a while to get into niche because of the limited ability and the notion of instant gratification. I didn't want to wait for something to be shipped. i wanted to be able to run to the store anytime money was burning a hole in my pocket, and as a result I ended up with a lot of designer stuff that just bores me.

Plus the designer stuff is constructed to grab you right away, but the downside is this feature makes them immediately cloying and after a short while you can get sick of them. Niche stuff by contrast may seem tame at first sometimes, but once you wear it enough, you can see how much better it wears and how the right scent pulls rather than repels. Also when you wear stuff like the CdGs, you'll smell like nobody else, and girls will find you really unique and like a rebel freethinker.

As for Bulgari Aqua- its not bad, but its a Aqua di Gio clone.

The fragrences I get the most compliments from are

Creed - GIT although it lacks a little on the long lasting requirement
    Bourcheron - Jaipur
    Amouage - Dia

IG: I'm new at this......... You said: "Passage D'Enfer has an unbelievable effect on women." Is the PdE the scent or the 'house'? I did a search but am confused.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    IG: *I'm new at this......... *You said: "Passage D'Enfer has an unbelievable effect on women." *Is the PdE the scent or the 'house'? *I did a search but am confused.

Dan
    The name of the fragrances is Passage D'enfer and the fragrance house is Maitre Parfueur et Gantier. I don't really like this scent myself. It gives me a headache everytime I wear it, but it's worth a try.

Good Luck

Thank you. *I think I found it here.

Any more positive comments and is it available in the USA?

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Any more positive comments and is it available in the USA?

Dan
    I think most Neiman Marcus stores and a handful of Saks stores carry it, along with our buddies at BeautyCafe.com (mention Basenotes for a discount).
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    [quote author=Lightninrod link=1128965234/0#3 date=1128977239]IG: *I'm new at this......... *You said: "Passage D'Enfer has an unbelievable effect on women." *Is the PdE the scent or the 'house'? *I did a search but am confused.

Dan
    The name of the fragrances is Passage D'enfer and the fragrance house is Maitre Parfueur et Gantier. I don't really like this scent myself. It gives me a headache everytime I wear it, but it's worth a try.

Good Luck[/quote]

close. Actually, Passage D'Enfer is made by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

I had a sample of PdE and it took me a few wearings but I got hooked on it. Then I bought a bottle. it has a real "Catholic church" kind of incense smell to it. I had alot of fun testing its effect on women. Once I realized that it had a seductive effect on a few women, I wore it on location when I was working as a production assistant on some TV shows. There were tons of hot girls, and it was a reality dating show. A few times I got up very close to these girls, and you should have seen the looks on their faces! I got several phone numbers, but never followed up on any of them because I was really hung up on one girl at the time- sadly i never got too far with her, and things ended rather badly, but she did love the Passage D'Enfer during one make out session!

Its very dry, a bit salty, smokey with a bit of musk. It's kind of light too. It smells really "established" and classy. If you are used to wearing Aqua di Gio and Polo Black type scents around your girlfriend, and then show up wearing Passage D'Enfer, she will see you in a totally different light. Its kind of romantic and if she's spent any time at all in a Catholic church, you will seduce her for sure.

In general, I'm finding that FOR ME, the scents that girls go crazy for on me are incense based. So these are the things i gravitate toward.

If you'd like a good base of incense samples, I recommend LuckyScent. Get samples of all of the Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense, as well as Passage D'Enfer from L'Artisan. Like I said, i just got a bottle of Comme des Garcons Jaisalmer and its a spicy, semi-sweet, clovey incense and I already know for a fact that women love it. I also sampled Zagorsk which is a nice piney Russian incense with a wonderful iris note. A girl I dated previously was wild about it and also Yves Saint Laurent's M7 also.

;D HA HA HA....

I'm so sorry, I'm not all together this mouring. It's L'artisan not MPG. I was just downstaris thinking about that and I was like, WHAT?, MPG doesn't make Passage D'enfer, it's L'artisan. I quickly ran upstairs to log on my comp. to correct the mistake but I guess I was too late. Sorry guys, I didn't have too much sleep last night as I was really busy doing something. Maybe I should go to bed now.

I prefer to treat all scents as just scents and test them all. The labels niche and disigner are only useful to a certain extent, in the end the nose likes what the nose likes. These may suit your needs:
    1. Bocheron Jaipur
    2. D&G By
    3. Laguna by Dali
    4. Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    5. Magnetism by Escada
    6. L'Instant EDP by Guerlain
    7. Hanae Mori EDP
    8. Kenzo Jungle
    9. Bois d'Argent by Dior
    10. Tea for Two by L'Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    [quote author=Lightninrod link=1128965234/0#3 date=1128977239]IG: *I'm new at this......... *You said: "Passage D'Enfer has an unbelievable effect on women." *Is the PdE the scent or the 'house'? *I did a search but am confused.

Dan

Good Luck[/quote]

Please pardon my correction but the house that created and distributes Passage d'Enfer is actually L'Artisan Parfumeur, not Maitre Parfueur et Gantier.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122469.html

Oh wait... I see you have already been corrected... well, consider this more correction, something we can all use I am sure.

BMW30: Milamber's list o suggestions is excellent. I say try Kenzo Jungle. It is one of my favorites and garners LOTS of positive comments from sniffers.

Griff
    Griff

I know we've had the niche / designer topic, too...

I don't consider CdG a niche *- Rei Kawakubo is a designer. I'm wearing her circa 1988 black jumper and maryjanes with a white oxford buttondown. Funky but chic.

Not bringing it up to be argumentative, but to agree with Milamber. On the other hand, you have to be able to describe things, and labels are useful for classification.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    I know we've had the niche / designer topic, too...

I don't consider CdG a niche *- Rei Kawakubo is a designer. I'm wearing her circa 1988 black jumper and maryjanes with a white oxford buttondown. Funky but chic.

Not bringing it up to be argumentative, but to agree with Milamber. On the other hand, you have to be able to describe things, and labels are useful for classification.
    OK, I'm gonna reiterate my assertion that Comme des Garcons is more niche than designer. Well obviously, Rei Kawakubo is a designer, so that should be the end of it...well, I look at it like this: Rei Kawakubo is a designer who makes niche clothes and niche fragrances. She makes concept items that make their way to the production market. And just because she ALSO makes clothes, should not disqualify her fragrances from the distinction of being niche. I've heard that Creed has some sort of operation that manufactures suits. And are we going to disqualify L'Artisan from being niche if they get a wild hair start a line of bespoke cashmere gorilla masks? Aside from Sephora carrying CdG 2 Man, where else can you find the more exclusive stuff? Very few places. Hell, Creed is much more accessible to buy than Comme des Garcons.

But mostly what I consider as being niche is not the product, so much as the buyer. The buyer of Comme des Garcons is not the casual buyer who debates whether he should buy Shiso or Aqua di Gio. The person who buys Comme des Garcons is making a very conscious effort to buy the very outer limits of what lies on the commercial market. This for me defines niche. Is the product aimed at someone other than the casual buyer? And also is the artistic integrity of the product intact to the possible outcome that it will fail to sell millions of units? And its not a question of quality either. There's nothing anyone can say to convince me that Himalaya is of a "higher" quality than Palisander.

I just don't see why something can't be both designer and niche. L'Artisans don't just spring forth fully formed from some committee somewhere, there is a nose- a "designer" who creates. Now, the whole notion of the "brief" and the test marketing of each version of a prototype scent, with the intent of making it as marketable and profitable surely compromises a potential product's appellation as "niche".

There is just no way I can lump an EDT called Tar or Garage in with the likes of Kenneth Cole's latest dreck. And I'm not slagging designers, but really there is a different feeling when you're a collector and you're buying something niche. I may buy some designer stuff when i'm feeling frivolous or I'm trying to convince myself I'm being carefree. But when you're getting a new Creed, a new L'Artisan, or a new MPG...you know you have a different feeling inside, its a fact. And I think most of us on here who wear both designer and niche scents, and who are sincere fans of Comme des Garcons, have that inner feeling when we are getting a new CdG that we are getting something niche. I know alot of people consider Guerlain niche because they only make fragrances and cosmetics- no clothing. And their quality is superb, yet they can be found super cheap at Marshalls. I don't know. if someone wants to say that Guerlain is niche, they have some pretty sound reasons and I can't argue.

There are several criteria that people have established for what makes something designer or niche and often they overlap. I think the only accepted reason to argue against Comme des Garcons is because they make clothes. How many people out there own Comme des Garcons clothes? (besides you Veronica, and I'm sure you're a dish!) Comme des Garcons is all about the art. Art. over money. I think that is the only true factor in niche vs non-niche. Is the "art" the prime consideration. Comme des Garcons doesn't care one whit "how it plays in Peoria." Don't get me wrong. I don't think Rei Kawakubo is some kind of humanitarian out to save art- her products are dead expensive. But the primary factor is "art".

Its late and I'm tired...but to me, Comme des Garcons is as niche as it gets

I think I'm going to buy Indie_Guy and have him in my closet so I can pick him out whenever I want to hear someone rave about Comme des Garçons, it would sure be handy. Do I have to say that I agree with you Indie?

And I do envy Veronica's clothes now...

Sigh... precisely my point, the very term "niche" is not useful because there are at least 3 different versions (and Indie has described a fourth one - pseudo niche, the niche-designer hybrid!) of the word and each of us holds on to one so when we discuss "niche", we all have different ideas of what we are talking about. It's not helpful at all. I prefer to talk about scents, their notes, evolution, longevity, CONCEPTS. When we discuss "niche", we are really discussing concepts most of the time, the idea behind the creation of a scent and to a certain extent, marketing strategy because there are people who associate niche with exclusivity. Now CdG scents, may make a person feel special but i'm sure not all scents that we consider "niche" will give you that buzz (oh, i'm referring to niche being exclusive scents here) and that's a fact because the nose likes notes and accords, it doesn't register semantics. When we talk about a buyer who scours the outer limits of the commercial market, we are really talking about markets and exclusivity right? So even then we're back to scents that are exclusive, not the buyers themselves who are niche. Of course, when he scours for the most hard to find scents, he may not end up with Navagateur or Tar and Garage, but Pierre Cardin Cuir Cassaque of the Centaure Series which is even harder to find than any CdG. Is that "niche"? Not by many people's definition of niche. In the end, when the term is deconstructed, all that remains at the core of the word is that niche smells niche. When that happens, and we can't agree what niche means and smell is subjective, all that remains is a void. So, my conclusion is, there is no such thing as niche, only scents. Take each one step at a time.

Good response milamber, even though I agreed to most things Indie_Guy said.
    At work I came to think of one fragrance I'd never call designer but sure has hell is exactly that: flowerbomb by viktor & rolf.

I've always been confused about the term "niche". At first I thought it was characterized by ridiculously high prices, but then again a lot of designer frags aren't cheap either (A*men retailing at $100 would make you think it's niche). I think knowing the fact that something is exclusive plays a big psychological role on our opinions about them. I admit that I fall victim to this too. If Creed were sold at every department store (ie. Macy's) I probably wouldn't give it the credit that I do now, especially if were sold at its current prices. On the other hand, certain inexpensive scents such as Laguna make me wonder why it's sold so cheap. It is exclusive but is it niche? With as many current admirers, Dali could have hi-jacked prices and people would still buy it.

Why So Serious?

I agree with I_G on the Passage d'Enfer, since i got this scent last year i've totally felt in love with it. It's just so awesome! And i do get complimented on this fragrance often, and some just say that i smell really strange, in a nice way though.

Now, Comme des Garcons, the line really is in a league of it's own, and it doesn't really matter if you think it's niche or designer, it could be either, both or neither, everybody have different opinions about it. In my opinion, this is the best fragrance line that has ever existed (Thanks Serpent if you're still around!). I started off with this line with many that i didn't like, but i've really come to appreciate the creativity of the house and its anti-fashion theme. When you wear the CdGs, you could smell from paper to computer, dust to lightning, church to forest, fire to rain........you could pretty much smell the whole world in this line. No other lines have ever drawn so much attention from people like CdGs. People always say that i smell strange or unique, no one has encountered anything like them. And of course it is that unique character that pulls people toward you. In fact, the whole line would make you a very mysterious person, people would be figuring you out, i mean who doesn't want that kind of attention, you dont even have to expect compliments, just saying that i smell strange or unique is good enough to know that i have something that others dont, and that's what makes me special. I've only discovered about a quarter of the line and still counting, i loved every single one of them, some more than others, but as i said i really appreciate the uniqueness of it all. It's like looking at an abstract painting, you might see something, yet you might be seeing nothing or you're just dont know what the heck it is that you're looking at. This is the same as CdGs, to others you might smell like everything, something, nothing or they just dont know what on this god's earth they are actually smelling. Weird huh?....You bet!! ;D
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    ...besides you Veronica, and I'm sure you're a dish... *
    Wrong again. Veronica is categorized as a fox.

Didn't want to start the whole magilla for the umpteenth time. Maybe we should think about a series of weekly postings so members can provide input for a Dictionary of Often-Used Terms. We could compile the answers and begin a permanant reference file. Might be useful for new members. (What is sillage?)

A new subcategory to designate fashion houses such as CdG? Haute couture VS pret-a-porter?