Code of Conduct

Default Ordering my first MPG--Need help deciding!

I can't let the 25% off coupon at Beautyhabit slide, I've decided to order my first MPG, but as usual I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions before I buy. I've read the reviews on the directory but some additional insight would be nice.

Here's what I have it narrowed down to:

Ambre Precieux--I had a sample of this a few months back and loved it. It was warm, smoth, elegant, however my girlfriend didn't like it and said it smelled like Play-doh. With the cool weather and memories of the smell though, I'm tempted to get this one.

Parfum D'Habit: I had a sample of this and for the life of me I can only vaguely remember what it smelled like. My problem is, especially after reading the excellent thread on it a few days back, where the devil would I actually *wear* it to? Not the office, nor to a club, and I really don't see it as romantic at all. I'd hate to buy it, say "This smells delightful!" and then never wear it. On the other hand I've worn some odd choices at odd times ie Heritage at a dance club.

Santal Nobile: I'm almost afraid to try this one, I traded for it and my mail was stolen last time so my precious bottle was wisked away. The concept of a dry ambery wood intrigues me, I love dry woods like Bdp, Heritage, Gucci Pour Homme, etc

Eau de Iles---For some reason this one intrigues me the most.Spices, woods, coffee *AND* endorsed by Sixcats? Sign me up!

Those are the choices I've narrowed it down too. If I had to pick which one I'd buy at this stage, it's tied between Eau de Iles and Ambre, but I'm still open at this point! Any thoughts or help would be much obliged!

Default Re: Ordering my first MPG--Need help deciding!

Definitely Santal Noble. I know I've sampled the others you mentioned but I'm sure they didn't do anything for me.

Personally,SN is the only MPG I like.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Definitely Santal Noble. *I know I've sampled the others you mentioned but I'm sure they didn't do anything for me. *

Personally,SN is the only MPG I like.

My concern with SN is that I have alot of woods in my collection, especially dry woods. I'm worried about olfactory overlap.

Well, one thing about SN ... if you don't like it you'll DEFINITELY be able to swap it here because most love it!

I have a lot of woods in my collection also, but SN stands out to me because of it's mellowness and ... as it's been mentioned before here on B'notes ... a slight hint of "coconut cake" mixed in there.

Definitely a classy scent.

Dependent

I don't know if I understand the propriety of certain fragrances in certain places. Heritage sounds fine for a night club to me. With that premise, you may decide my advice is worthless, however, I do consider all of your choices my favorite MPG's (along with Secret Melange). Parfum d'Habit is my favorite and I think it could be worn anywhere, although a dry wood leather it is. Eau des Iles would be my second choice based on your description.
    Overcome by Fumes

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Well, one thing about SN ... if you don't like it you'll DEFINITELY be able to swap it here because most love it! *

I have a lot of woods in my collection also, but SN stands out to me because of it's mellowness and ... as it's been mentioned before here on B'notes ... a slight hint of "coconut cake" mixed in there.

Definitely a classy scent.

Thank you, you actually just helped me kick SN off the list. I hate the smell of coconut, so if there is a risk of overlap AND coconut cake, I don't think it will be for me

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    I don't know if I understand the propriety of certain fragrances in certain places. *Heritage sounds fine for a night club to me. *With that premise, you may decide my advice is worthless, however, I do consider all of your choices my favorite MPG's (along with Secret Melange). *Parfum d'Habit is my favorite and I think it could be worn anywhere, although a dry wood leather it is. *Eau des Iles would be my second choice based on your description.

I am rather tempted by the idea of Parfum d'Habit smelling like nothing else out there.

25% off....can I afford two bottles? I did just get a new job with a raise and more hours ;D

Ambre Precieux is a great choice for Fall/Winter. Very warm with wood and a touch of spices. My favorite amber and the MPG I most frequently recommend. PdH is also out of this world, doubt you'd regret either. I have zero experience with Iles, however I need to change that, it sounds amazing...................

Santal Noble

- I don't think you have much of a choice in the matter really. No help necessary; you must get Santal Noble.

- Everyone (who can afford it) should have it!

- I hear it is backordered though; a raincheck for SN is not as wearable as some of the other fragrances available, but eventually you will not regret your choice.

- I got my SN for $55 shipped but I would have paid full price or more if they asked it...

- It is much different than BdP (my SoTD) -- I find it much sweeter and probably a bit more wearable or casual, for lack of a better term.

Good luck.
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

Ive been debating if Santal Noble is a must have and I'm still undecided. However if could choose an MPG today it would be my first choice . It is a nice comfortable scent with fairly good longevity and a wonderful drydown.

You guys are killin' me ! I just ordered my first MPG(SN) and it is b/o for 2-3 weeks. I gotta get back to Bass fishin' sites where I spend..................whoops :-?

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

My two favorite MPG's, Baime and Centaure, are not on your list.

But Eau des Iles sounds like a good choice to me.

Don't forget Iris Bleu Gris. You can't go wrong with Santal Noble or Parfum d'Habit though.

I too took up on this offer and ordered myself a bottle of Santal Noble, Its in the mail cant wait to spray it on.

Quote Originally Posted by HLCcrazychrystal2
    I too took up on this offer and ordered myself a bottle of Santal Noble, Its in the mail cant wait to spray it on.
    Yeah ... I broke down and also ordered the Santal Noble. $26 off and free shipping was too good to pass up.

Thankfully, it's backordered to about 2-3 weeks. That'll give my credit card's blisters time to heal :'(

I'll just work off my decant meanwhile ...

You haven't lived if you've never smelled Eau des Iles! It's quite stunningly beautiful. An incredibly tasteful blend of woods, spices, coffee and restrained sweetening notes.

Centaure's my second favorite MPG. A very classy citrus with bitter orange topnotes.

There are several other MPGs I like as well. If you get the chance, it's probably worth sampling all the MPG fragrances for men.

I'd like to know how you got a 25% discount on the MPG. I do not see such a deal at the Beautyhabit site, not to mention the free shipping. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by need5398
    I'd like to know how you got a 25% discount on the MPG. *I do not see such a deal at the Beautyhabit site, not to mention the free shipping. *Thanks
    The free shipping is only good on orders over $100. Also, no tax unless you live in California.

The code is DAILYCANDY. At checkout, there's a box at the bottom to put in this code. MAKE SURE IT'S IN ALL CAPS! It will give you 25% off and a free gift (???)

I would hurry though ... I thought I read in the original post that it's only good until the 17th of Oct.