Code of Conduct

Default Good starter cologne

Im a bit of a newbie to the whole cologne world, i just recently decided i was bored with my life and wanted to do something about it, so I'm trying to pick a good first cologne (among other things). I figured who else to ask but a forum full of cologne experts?

so heres my basic profile and what i want
    i have oily skin (i heard that oily skin can make a cologne stronger)
    i sweat when im hot (honestly who doesnt?)
    i produce strong body heat at most times
    im heavy set (i dont know if that makes a difference)
    i live in NC, so hot summers and mild to semi cold winters
    i need a casual scent, one that i can wear for most situations
    i would like a mild scent, something that you can only pick up on when near me
    i dont mind shelling out alittle extra cash but lets try to keep it in a reasonable range
    i would like an all-time scent, but 2 or three based on season or occasion would be fine too
    i plan to go to a store to try various colognes soon, so name and maker would be appriciated, as well as what to expect from the cologne (citrusy, grassy, woody, etc)

like i said i dont know alot about colognes so any advice would be great (where to buy it, how much to buy at first, who to trust the opinion of, etc)

thx guys
    Conar the newbie

Default Re: Good starter cologne

I would say Creed Silver Mountain Water, fresh and never cloying on the most humid and hottest summers. Otherwise, L'Homme de Coeur by Divine (only available online so far though)

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Like always, I'd suggest Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler.

It fits your qualifications perfectly: it's subtle, it's quite reasonably priced, and it's VERY versatile. As for the smell, it starts out quite citrusy, then changes to fresh grassy/sap notes, and ends with a nice light clean musky finish.

As for availability, the Mugler website at www.thierrymugler.com has a store locator under the "You and Us" section. Expect to pay $48 for a 2.6 oz bottle or $68 for a 4.2 oz bottle (which would be my choice given that this will probably be your signature scent). Definately consider getting the shower gel as well...makes it last even longer.

Happy sniffing!
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Good Strater Cologne:

Azzaro Chrome
    Armanis Life
    Bulgari Pour Homme
    CK Truth
    CK One
    212 Men by Carolina Herrera
    Allure Homme by Chanel
    Higher and Higher Energy by Christain Dior
    Happy Men by Clinque
    Essenza Di Zegna
    Armani Mania and Empoiro Armani White
    Givenchy Pour Homme
    Haltson Unbound
    Hugo Boss Baldessarini
    Micheal Germain Sexual
    Ralph Lurean Polo Sport
    Swiss Army
    Tommy Hilfiger
    Versace Jeans Couture and Metal Jeans
    YSL Body Kouros

Here are some good cologne to start off with, All can be found at your local mall, check them out and happy smellings

I would say "Be original, and don't go with something mainstream". I think Egoiste by Chanel (with light application) would do in your case. In this degenerate age you don't find many people wearing it in the States.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Welcome to Basenotes.

I agree with Bvlgari PH

Another nice,versatile scent is Geir (just go easy on the trigger with this one,its on the potent side).

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Go for Guerlain L'Instant EDT, a refined scent for every use!

Why So Serious?

I strongly agree on the Bvlgari Pour Homme, in fact, that was the first fragrance came to my mind. I would also like to recommend Kenneth Cole Black and Lanvin L'homme. Cheers!

David
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Acqua di Parma

Sicilian citrus, lavender essence, jasmine, rosemary, vervain, precious Bulgarian rose, amber and white musk

http://www.lusciouscargo.com/Merchan...roduct_Count=0

Doesn't get much more versatile than this

Aaron

Good casual scents for a newbie...

1. Kenneth Cole Reaction (smells like watermelon)
    2. Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey (smells like grapefruit)
    3. Bvlgari Pour Homme
    4. Carolina Herrera 212
    5. Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (smells like cucumber)

These are all mainstream fragrances that you can test in the store. One important thing to remember is not to judge a scent from initial spray. Let it settle down for a minute or two so that the alcohol evaporates and reveals the true scent. Also, if any of them catch your attention on a paper test strip, then test them on your wrist since your skin has a dramatic impact on the development of a scent.

My first real cologne that wasn't anything cheap was Escada Magnetism. I still have the bottle, not because I didn't like it but because it smelled so good it made me wonder what else was out there and I amassed a collection. To this day it's one of the only scents that I can't really explain how it smells. It smells "purple", but not like grapes. Just try it sometime, it rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Go for Guerlain L'Instant EDT, a refined scent for every use!
    I second that!

Also try out Bvlgari pour Homme Extreme, Mugler Cologne and Azzaro Chrome.

GENDARME
    GEIR
    Original Vetiver
    Platinum Egoiste

I also would recommend L'Instant. I somewhat disagree with Egoïste as especially in the summer it can be overpowering unless applied carefully. It is an excellent fragrance though and you should definitelly give it a shot, especially if you plan to get several fragrances! Also of the ones mentioned I personally really like (and can recommend to you given the information) are the following ones (good general fragrances. Some of these might not get a mention at least from me if you plan to get few more):

Mugler Cologne
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Acqua di Parma
    Versace Jeans Couture
    Givenchy Pour Homme
    Armani Mania
    Chanel Allure Homme

and some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Carolina Herrera Chic
    Mont Blanc Individuel
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    YSL Jazz / Live Jazz
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

These are all designer scents and should be quite affordable. The list is quite long but it's hard (at least for me) to give just one or two suggestions especially with the information you gave. At least in my opinion scents like Baldessarini of Hugo Boss are somewhat age-debendent and I (student, age of 23) couldn't see myself using it at least currently even though it is a nice fragrance so maybe it would make it easier for us to pick if you told us stuff like your age and some other things that would give some idea who you are.

Welcome to the boards and the wonderful world of fragrances!

You must start with the mainstream. I'd suggest:
    - Acqua di Gio
    - Versace Metal Jeans
    - Cool Water
    - Echo
    - Romance Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy
    My first real cologne that wasn't anything cheap was Escada Magnetism. I still have the bottle, not because I didn't like it but because it smelled so good it made me wonder what else was out there and I amassed a collection. To this day it's one of the only scents that I can't really explain how it smells. It smells "purple", but not like grapes. Just try it sometime, it rocks.
    I feel the same way about Magnetism - really hard to explain. Very nice though and might be worth a try (just remember that Magnetism smells VERY different the first 10 minutes and then turns very nice). I wouldn't recommend it for hot weather though... I misjudged the weather some time ago and Magnetism was just a little too much.

I agree with Bulgari Pour Homme and L'Instant. Chrome too. All of them very versatile. Best one is the Bulgari one in my opinion.

By the way, I was in the same situation as you some months ago. I really recommend testing a lot of stuff before spending any money. Maybe even visit the store just for testing some times. Start with the ones mentioned here(already a lot). Also remember that many fragrances change character a lot in the first 10 minutes or so. Sometimes you are surprised how good something smells after 10 minutes(like Magnetism)... unfortunately it's sometimes also the other way around so you might run into some fragrances where it turns really bad after 10 minutes.

Good luck

I recommend getting a cheap fragrance since your tastes will change and you'll probably grow to dislike your first cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by lazycalm
    Acqua di Parma

Sicilian citrus, lavender essence, jasmine, rosemary, vervain, precious Bulgarian rose, amber and white musk

http://www.lusciouscargo.com/Merchan...roduct_Count=0

Doesn't get much more versatile than this

Aaron
    Great minds think alike. This was my thought as well.

Lemony and citric at first, but yields a subtle rose fragrance over time. A bit costly, although I got a splash bottle off ebay at a reasonable price. You can decant it into a spray bottle or atomizer.

Also consider:
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentrate or YSL Pour Homme
    Eau Sauvage
    Lacoste Original

Welcome to the board.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Quote Originally Posted by minilomaniac
    I agree with Bulgari Pour Homme and L'Instant. Chrome too. All of them very versatile. Best one is the Bulgari one in my opinion.
    I live in NC, and Bvlgari PH has earned more compliments than any other, especially when used with the matching body wash, which really adds to its clean woody base. Easy to find here too. Hecht's carries it.

Chrome is also good. A lot of people like L'Instant, but being an electrical engineer it smells like a burning transformer to me. My loss perhaps via bad association.

Lazyclam's Acqua di Parma is an excellent recommendation, but the closest retailer is Neiman Marcus in Bethesda, MD. You'll have to mail order it. If you desire to try something niche, you can't go wrong with it. Office or evening. If I had to start from scratch, it would be both - BPH first, AdP second.

Ummh why is that?

I mean sure, it's hard to go wrong with these but I think that these are also the ones you grow bored the fastest especially when you smell them so often on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    You must start with the mainstream. I'd suggest:
    - Acqua di Gio
    - Versace Metal Jeans
    - Cool Water
    - Echo
    - Romance Silver

Well, I would recommend you:

- Diesel Plus Plus Masculine - it is very nice fresh scent.. it is cheap.. lasts very good and people seem to respond very positivelly to it... one of my female classmates casually stoled the bottle from me and sprayed herself

- Yves Saint Laurent Live Jazz - it is fresh as well... citrussy/minty.. very nice scent...

- Yves Saint Laurent M7 - it is heavier, darker, not easy to like.. maybe a bit harsh for beginner... but wonderful scent.. my latest acquisition

- Eau pour Homme par Kenzo - fresh, acquatic scent... very likeable and suitable for daywear...

- Armani Acqua di Gio - very mainstream and overrated.. but people like it... but i think it's rubbish and my ex used it as well...

paco rabanne xs
    ysl jazz
    drakkar noir
    All are reasonably priced,many positive responses from the ladies on these.
    I just saw jazz at the local marshalls think I might get a backup at that price.

Guerlain's Vetiver meets all of your criteria, I think, and is one of the great classics of men's fragrance. *Bulgari pour Homme has been mentioned a few times and is another one that should be at the top of your list, likewise Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme. *Other possibilities that you won't smell on every other guy on the street:
    Sonia Rykiel Homme
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Chevrefeuille Original
    Molinard Homme II
    Goutal Eau de Monsieur

If you want to try something very new, but which has been well received, sample Dior Homme. *Word of warning: New York summers, strong body heat etc suggest you might want to be careful of oriental scents(like Egoiste) with sweet/vanilla notes. *At the very least, approach with caution and maybe save it for autumn and winter.

Steely