Code of Conduct

Default Timbuktu and Dzing ... similar?

My recent purchase of Dzing (which I love!) promped me to do a "side by side" comparison of this and Timbuktu, which I've had for awhile. I dunno ... maybe it's just me ... but I have Dzing on my left forearm and Timbuktu on my right. Going back and forth, I really don't see all that much of a difference. In fact, I smell roasted peanuts in both. But whatever the slight difference is to me, I think I like Dzing better ... although I still really like Timbuktu.

Am I just nuts or does anyone else find them similar?

Default Re: Timbuktu and Dzing ... similar?

Definitely they have common features - The Brand Name
    just joke...

The only common notes could be balsamic - tolu and peruvian...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

i love those two...

till now i can't decide which of those two to buy.

i find dzing to be on the wild side, earthy ,

wherelse timbuktu is more herbal

I don't get any similarities between the two. I love Dzing! and Timbuktu isn't something I can see myself wearing. It's much sharper to me.

I am with Concord. Timbuktu is a little harsh. I am wearing it right now but even after wearing it off and on for several weeks the verdict is still out. And yet....I keep trying it again. It is very earthy. Lots of vetiver and patchouli. However, Dzing! is wonderful. Leather and carmel and cedar, mmmmm. I have only had a tester of Dzing! and would love to know if it lasts longer than an hour. Timbuktu seems to last for me anyway, for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Going back and forth, I really don't see all that much of a difference. In fact, I smell roasted peanuts in both.

Am I just nuts or does anyone else find them similar?
    You are nuts: peanuts.

Bois Farine smells like peanuts, other L'Artisans don't, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    I don't get any similarities between the two.
    Agree! I love both equally, but the only thing they have in common is the brand. :
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Dzing! lasts +6hrs on me.. I get a very nice drydown on amber at the end. before that it is just pure heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    I don't get any similarities between the two. I love Dzing! and Timbuktu isn't something I can see myself wearing. It's much sharper to me.
    Ditto - Dzing borders on gourmand with the caramel vanilla notes in the base, but the Timbuktu is quite dry and just didn't work for me.

To me Dzing = Passage D'enfer + Tea for Two

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    :-? To my nose Timbuktu has some similarity with Passage d'Enfer, but Dzing! - none.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I agree. Must be the Gaiac wood.

Nah. But Tea for Two does have something in common with Dzing! But, again, T42 is drier and not roll-around-the-hay sexy like Dzing! is.

I only just tried them so these are first-impression-notes from a beginner, but I didn´t find these two similar. Dzing! felt warmer and more down to earth, though very special. I did sense that sawdust note in some of the other L´artisans that I tried after Dzing, but I´m not sure if it was just the impression from that lingering...since it´s rather unusual. When I tried "Jour de fête" I was still hooked on the sawdust, so it was like throwing a birthday-party, with almond/vanilla creamcake, in a carpenters workshop. It often happens to me that if I find a note ine one fragrance (or in som other scented stuff) very interesting for the moment I kind of sense traces of that in everything else I try afterwards.
    Timbuktu on the other hand was more loud, bright and clear, and made me feel almost a bit high for the first half hour of wearing it outdoors. I might be nuts too, but for a while I thought I was wearing CdG 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinterdroppe
    Timbuktu on the other hand was more loud, bright and clear, and made me feel almost a bit high for the first half hour of wearing it outdoors. I might be nuts too, but for a while I thought I was wearing CdG 2.
    I've never been that interested in Timbuktu so far. Well, that is up until now I guess