Code of Conduct

Default Driest, woody fragrances you can think of

Just aiming to get some perspective here, and offer people who like this type of scent to share their thoughts on these fragrances.

I'd like to start by mentioning Gucci pour Homme, which is incredibly leathery and dry.

Default Re: Driest, woody fragrances you can think of

A couple of the driest woody fragrances i can think of are L'Artisan's Timbuktu and Miel de Bois by SL.

But the DRIEST (IMO) fragrance ever,although not very woody,is West Broadway by Bond 9. Like i have said before,it almost makes me thirsty!!

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Gucci PH also popped first to my mind

Gucci PH is more leathery than woody IMO. Gucci Rush is very woody, but not necessarily dry. Pencil shavings anyone?

Celine Pour Homme, and Poivre Samarcande, and Fendi Uomo, OK and yes, Gucci PH, and Rush

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

L'Artisan Timbuktu.

I had to have rehydration salts after that one!

I would definitely recommend oudh-based scents, as the effect of oudh in fragrance is often just that - dry! Additionally, scents heavy on birch or cedar tend to offer a rather sharp, sometimes bitter edge. Things that come to mind are Fendi Life Essence, Patyka Boise, Ginestet Le Bois...

Additionally, I find the following suitable to match my idea of dry:

Boucheron pour Homme
    Rodier Homme
    CDG Incense series, especially Jaisalmer and Kyoto...

Yvan

It's not super dry, but one that comes to mind for me is Macassar by Rochas. It didn't work for me, but it's an excellent scent...for being primarily a woody scent, it has a lot to keep you interested. It also has a "classic" quality, perhaps a bit on the formal side. I'm glad I tried it.

Incidentally, one that I did find woody and dry (as well as sticky, and with anise and coffee notes) is Mat; Very Male.

And my opinion of Fendi Uomo is that it is dry, but has more sage and dry herb notes than wood. YMMV.

I think Declaration Essence is the driest, woodiest thing I own.

Jaisalmer is pretty woody and dry as well.

Also Yatagan fits the bill pretty well.

Jean Couturier Coriandre is as woody and mossy and dry as they come. My #1 of them all. A chypre and can be worn by a man.

Many Gucci's are too, but a lot of them are transparent, frozen, like a piece of wood in a block of ice.

Fendi (yellow box) is aromatic woody and almost a chypre too.

Creed Epicea

Guerlain Heritage.

Blenheim Bouquet (since you did not specify the type of wood ), very piney, and very formal. At first it is very piney to me, very much like crushed, fresh pine leaves in your hand. It has a touch of citrus which the needles have in them.

otherwise... Bulgari Pour Homme. Very dry, very woody, rather long lasting, but fairly subtle on my skin.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Heritage stood out from what people have mentioned, because I just sampled it last week. It is supremely classy and refined, but there is a hint of sweetness in the base notes.

The dryest? The woodiest?

Le Boise by Ginestet fits the bill

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=17200

But note! This is a big loud one-note fragrance. It starts out DRY WOOD... and remains DRY WOOD for the duration.

Trend Pour Homme by Les Copains is a close second. Very rich and complex woods and spices. Not too long-lasting on my skin.

Griff
    Griff

Vist is very dry cedarwood.

Azzaro Visit popped into my head first

MJH

If by 'dry', you mean non-sweet, I'd suggest Ebene (Balmain), Macassar (Rochas), Kipling (Weil), French Line (Revillon), Sud Est (Romeo Gigli), Yatagan (Caron), Phileas (Nina Ricci), Jacamo de Jacomo, Horizon (Guy Laroche), Coriolan (Guerlain), Arden Sandalwood for Men, Jules (Dior) or Agua Brava (Puig). They seem to be a dying breed: notice how many of them are discontinued (underlined above).

For wood, there's the entire CdG Incense Series + Sequoia, Blenheim Bouquet, Arden Sandalwood, Yatagan, Bois Precieux, Rocabar, Gucci Pour Homme and Bois de Filao.

Burberry Brit isnt very woody, but it is very dry.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

The most arid, bone-dry scent (of any type) I am acquainted with is Santa Maria Novella Vetiver. Unbelievable! Almost sucks the life right out of you. Now, whether you consider vetiver "woody" is the other question. Havana is also very dry.

Jeff

I don't think anyone here has heard of this before ----- Wall Street by Victor

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    The dryest? The woodiest?

Le Boise by Ginestet fits the bill

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=17200

But note! This is a big loud one-note fragrance. It starts out DRY WOOD... and remains DRY WOOD for the duration.

Griff
    I agree with Griff. Le Boise is a very nice scent. Quite dry & woody. Order a sample and check it out.

Bois du Portugal.

GnuGnuAntiloop

I second Gucci Rush and pour homme, Declaration, Les Copains Trend, Le Boise and Bvlgari pour homme, especially the Extreme version. To my nose Rush, Trend and Le Boise could easily be brother scents - they smell very similar to each other (very cedary). I love them but unfortunately none of them last very long on me. Trend being the cheapest one I would pick up that. Etro Mahogany may also be what you're looking for...

-T-

Gucci PH or Etro Mahogany should fit the bill -- the woods in the Etro are very unusual; never smelled anything like them in another fragrance.

My favorite would be SL Chene (after the top notes, which are a bit sweet): extremely dry oak with a nice smoky quality that reminds me of distant fires on very cold winter days. One of the few smoky fragrances without the complication of an accompanying leather note, too.
    ..."net", not "naut".

Second SL Chene, Yatagan and Gucci PH.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

GnuGnuAntiloop

Came to think if anyone could tell about SL's Bois de Violette, Bois et Musc, Un Bois Sépia and Chêne? Do they fill the bill - dry, woody - too? The perfume descriptions (see below) make me think so, but how are they really? Any reviews?

Thanks!
    -Tero-

Bois de Violette: cedar, violet leaves and flowers (these notes only?)

Bois et Musc: cedar and musk (anything else?)

Un Bois Sépia: cypress, oakmoss, vetiver, opoponax, patchouli leaves, sandalwood

Chêne: oak-bark tannin, cedrawood crystals(?), birch, immortelle flowers, wood saps, tonka bean (sweet?), rum absolute (sweet again?), black thyme, beeswax

Thanks to http://freespace.virgin.net/lovely.p...positions.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    otherwise... Bulgari Pour Homme. Very dry, very woody, rather long lasting, but fairly subtle on my skin.

Agree with you there.........Bulgari PH always makes we think of sawdust for some reason.

Basala/Basara came to mind, it is very dry indeed.

Overcome By Fumes

Gomma
    Parfum d'Habit
    Trussardi Uomo

Fendi Uomo by Fendi (1988) Harsh dry wood :P

A lot of traditional English fragrances in my opinion fall into the category of being dry & woody:

Town & Country by Crown Perfumery
    Blenheim bouquet & Lords all by Penhaligons
    Woods of Windsor EDT
    Eucris by Geo F Trumper
    Royal Yacht - This probably qualifies as the driest of them all

Other Non-English fragrances:

Fendi Uomo
    Equipage by Hermes
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    Other Non-English fragrances:

Fendi Uomo
    Equipage by Hermes

mmmmm...I would describe Équipage by Hermès as more floral than woody, and more sweet than dry.

I love the carnation topnote but it is in the mossy sweetness of honey (beeswax) and in the hint of woody spice, that it's genius lies.

AZTEC

Isfahan by Ormonde Jayne!

Dry cedar followed by more dry cedar!

Oh. yeah, it has a little pink peper and vetiver (also quite dry).

Serge Lutens Chene smells like dry, burnt wood to me
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by GGA
    Came to think if anyone could tell about SL's Bois de Violette, Bois et Musc, Un Bois Sépia and Chêne? Do they fill the bill - dry, woody - too? The perfume descriptions (see below) make me think so, but how are they really? Any reviews?

Thanks!
    -Tero-

Bois de Violette: cedar, violet leaves and flowers (these notes only?)

Bois et Musc: cedar and musk (anything else?)

Un Bois Sépia: cypress, oakmoss, vetiver, opoponax, patchouli leaves, sandalwood

Chêne: oak-bark tannin, cedrawood crystals(?), birch, immortelle flowers, wood saps, tonka bean (sweet?), rum absolute (sweet again?), black thyme, beeswax

Thanks to http://freespace.virgin.net/lovely.p...positions.html
    I wouldn't say that either Bois de Violette or Bois et Musc would qualify as dry, and the woods in both are definitely of secondary importance. Bois de Violette, especially, is a bit on the sweet side but is a very beautiful take on violet (I believe I've read that this is Luca Turin's favorite SL.) Bois de Musc is an extremely wearable, comfortable musk: a true "skin" type scent, worlds apart from MKK. Both are quite delicate and very well blended.

Un Bois Sépia starts out very syrupy-sweet, but if you're patient enough, after about 2 hours it turns into a very strong burning cedar type of scent. Not "burnt," but "burning": there's no smokiness there, but something that "vibrates" in the nostrils like red-hot embers ... reminds me of Basala's drydown, except much, much more intense. With Un Bois Sépia there's a progression from intensely sweet to intensely dry ... a theme that's further developed in both Chêne and Miel et Bois.

Chêne's by far the driest of these four, and I really love it for how it evokes the whole wood fire experience. What's great is that it is so much more than just plain old smoke, but without ever resorting to leather or incense notes ... instead, from top to bottom, it's all about the wood: the bark, the sap, the leaves, the smoke, the cold air that the smoke is weaving its way through, everything ... beautiful stuff!
    ..."net", not "naut".

I would pick Gobin Daude's Nuit au Desert, one of the driest scents, I've found. It contains Agarwood.

norma kamali incense and etro vetiver are a pair of arid fragrances that would take some beating

GnuGnuAntiloop

Quote Originally Posted by stoneskipper
    I wouldn't say that either Bois de Violette or Bois et Musc would qualify as dry, and the woods in both are definitely of secondary importance. Bois de Violette, especially, is a bit on the sweet side but is a very beautiful take on violet (I believe I've read that this is Luca Turin's favorite SL.) *Bois de Musc is an extremely wearable, comfortable musk: a true "skin" type scent, worlds apart from MKK. *Both are quite delicate and very well blended.

Un Bois Sépia starts out very syrupy-sweet, but if you're patient enough, after about 2 hours it turns into a very strong burning cedar type of scent. *Not "burnt," but "burning": there's no smokiness there, but something that "vibrates" in the nostrils like red-hot embers ... reminds me of Basala's drydown, except much, much more intense. *With Un Bois Sépia there's a progression from intensely sweet to intensely dry ... a theme that's further developed in both Chêne and Miel et Bois.

Chêne's by far the driest of these four, and I really love it for how it evokes the whole wood fire experience. *What's great is that it is so much more than just plain old smoke, but without ever resorting to leather or incense notes ... instead, from top to bottom, it's all about the wood: the bark, the sap, the leaves, the smoke, the cold air that the smoke is weaving its way through, everything ... beautiful stuff!
    Many thanks for your review stoneskipper - much appreciated!

With best regards,
    Tero

Gucci Rush
    Trend by Les Copains
    VC&A Zanzibar
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)