Code of Conduct

Thread: CROWN PERFUMERY

Default CROWN PERFUMERY

Can anyone tell me more about this house or point me in the right direction to find out more information?

it seems to have a long history but also seems to have lost it's way.  what's the connection with clive christian? thanks.

AZTEC

Default Re: CROWN PERFUMERY

Go here:

http://www.basenotes.net/columnists/...tes/apr03.html

No-one can describe it better than Dr. Basenotes himself. J.W.

HORRID HORRID HORRID!!!! RUN!!!!!!! The four I have tried from them were truly awful. I see no way that I could even come close to wearing these scents. They were terrible. I mean REALLY bad. I'll go into more detail when I get home. They're truly horrific though. Try these before you buy.

At first thought horrid but I soon leanrt how some of them are quite wonderful and that there are many copies of these somehow forerunners of modern scents. Love Marquis, Sumare, Crown Imperial, they're classic, traditional, just not as creative, showy or immediately attractive as modern scents.

Used to hate Town and Country, like I like a little every once in a while

Dislike all of them except for Sandringham which I find to be quite good.

MJH

I just listed my 10 favorite 'male' scents over on PoL, and Crown Marquis is one of them.  Sandringham would probably make it into my top 20.  I like Spiced Limes, but it turns strangely medicinal-smelling on my skin, so I generally let the spray wander to my shirt collar and cuffs to retain the scent longer and 'truer'.  I don't care much for Eau de Quinine or Eau de Russe.  

For me Marquis and Sandringham are some of the best examples of English perfumery around.  I really enjoy their transparency and crispness, especially as a refresher after wearing heavier scents for a few days in a row.  

Quote Originally Posted by j_dubyah
    Go here:

http://www.basenotes.net/columnists/...tes/apr03.html

No-one can describe it better than Dr. Basenotes himself.  J.W.
    JW excellent! exactly what i was looking for! I must say i am intrigued to try these.

AZTEC

Yvan

scenteur7 kindly sent me a few small decants of 2 Crown frags in a trade--Sandringham, which I was especially keen to try, and Marquis. I tried Marquis tonight, and may've hit the jackpot! All the notes are dancing around and falling into place like the wheels in a slot machine!--some herbal, citrus, floral, moss. It reminds me of a popular frag I smelled back around 1980 but can't place--maybe Nino Cerruti pour Homme? There's a slight sour note--maybe one of the herb notes--but sometimes that's more wearable than a sweet note. I can see this being a good one especially for dressy occasions. Very impressive!

Sandringham...I wore it yesterday and will have to try to remember...the lavender was noticeable, and especially at the beginning, it reminded me somewhat of Escada pour Homme--there was a slightly metallic-peach note, almost like sage. I found Sandringham a bit more "distant" than Marquis. Both do give off a sense of being "high and mighty" to me.

I have a 25% full bottle of Sandringham that I'm looking to trade. I've tried all of the Crown Perfumery fragrances, and this one was my solid favorite. If you'd like to trade, let me know.

Yvan

Say, any of you who've tried the Crown frags for men, are there any that have woody notes or woody accords that you really noticed? Or is the wood pretty much in the background with all of them?

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan
    Say, any of you who've tried the Crown frags for men, are there any that have woody notes or woody accords that you really noticed?  Or is the wood pretty much in the background with all of them?
    Of the Crowns that I own, Buckingham has a distinct pine note, but it's more reminiscent of pine needles than wood to my nose. I don't really detect a strong woody presence in any of the ones I have.

I am ashamed to admit that I knew little more than the name until recently. I have now acquired Sandringham and am wearing it as my SOTD today.

It is like nothing else I have tried. At first very earthy and pungent. I could only just detect the lavender. It is light, but what longevity! Now at 4pm it has settled down to a soft floral scent (perhaps lily of the valley) and is still very noticable. Apparently inspired by the very dashing and elegant Edward VII it really is from another era. But if this scent is anything to go by, it's an age I wish I had known!

Those nice people at English Hall.com sent me samples of the other three that remain available and I look forward to trying them.

Trot

Yvan

Trotsky, glad you like Sandringham. I just got my Marquis from English Hall, along with the samples...I'm testing Park Royal right now...sure smells a lot like Curzon by Trumper! Must be the eucalyptus and ciste (labdanum)...Curzon always made me look around to see if someone had lit a roach!

Sumare is a surprisingly warm and rich scent with leather and coffee notes, but not in the Yohji or Angel way - this is dry and rich with blended citrus notes. Magnificent!

marlen

I love Eau de Russie. Super warm sandalwood oriental. I bought mine for £2.99 for 50mls! It was suppose to have been created for the last Tzar of Russia.
    DONNA

Yvan

Wow, donna, you can't beat that price for a Crown! Eau de Russie sounds nice, too.

Yvan

I gotta put in a plug for Crown Marquis. I wore it today and loved it again. Excellent quality, and it was still very noticeable after about 5 hours. What hit me again today was a note or accord similar to grapefruit, but since the pyramid doesn't show grapefruit as a prominent note, it's most likely a combination of the citrus and herbal notes and mint (or something). Similar to grapefruit but not as sharp, with a rounder base and other notes blended in.

I don't wear this often, because it seems to be more traditional than other scents I wear, but whenever I wear it, I'm always really impressed. Citrusy-herbal, bright but not dazzlingly so, with solid regal character, calmly projecting confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan
    *Citrusy-herbal, bright but not dazzlingly so, with solid regal character, calmly projecting confidence.
    yes. calm confidence...that's it. you hit the nail on the head. I don't wear Marquis often, but if I notice the bottle, my eyes light up and I reach for it.

AZTEC

I've tried only one, which was Sandringham, and honestly I don't know if this scent was still any good or truly had gone spoiled, but what I smelled was something started herbal and earthy, with this one note that made my stomach turn. I can't really describe it, something metallic and camphorous, and of an old soggy towel at the same time, and it didn't get any better afterwards, it intensified, I swear I was wearing the essence of crushed sow bugs or something! Truly one of the most sinister jokes I've ever smelled...English Hall is actually selling the 100ml for the same price as the 50ml, that should give someone an indication that something is awfully wrong with this scent.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Yvan

Hmm...it may have indeed been that the scent was spoiled. *A Basenotes member sent me a sample of Sandringham last year, and I found it to be quite excellent and gentlemanly, though I didn't buy it because I found the lavender and sage a bit prominent and because something in the scent made it seem a tiny bit unapproachable, but other than that, I was very impressed and did not notice the alleged soggy towel-crushed sow bug accord.

As to the reduced price, I think English Hall may've knocked down their prices to clear inventory, and I believe they're no longer selling Crown scents.

Crown's fabulous Marquis is the scent Crown copied when it came up with GIT. Very green, slightly sweet and of impeccable quality. Sumare also is its own thing, a deep leather that reminds me of a more refined and mossier Aramis. Never noticed the coffee in it but I will sniff for it next time around. Imperial is a bright citrus with a very true lemon smell, though it dries down powdery. Sandringham is a "dirty" oriental with lavender and, I'm guessing, sandalwood. Of a style similar to Jicky.

I own Royal, Sumare and Sandringham and could not be happier with all of them. They are elegant, distinctive and very English; not overbearing but with good longetivity.

These are "distinguished" scents probably better suited for more formal occasions.

Overcome By Fumes

Spiced Limes is my favorite citrus scent, hands down--although it's really an oriental in disguise. Another one that simply blew me away, although I have only ever heard of samples being available is Marechale (not Marechale 90). Most of the others had a grungy acrid undertone that I sense to a slightly lesser degree in some of the Creed fragrances. I'd agree with "try before you buy" but don't write off the quality of this house unsniffed either.

Crown fragrances are top quality. They are more along the lines of traditional, masculine, classic scents. I find them to be very "manly" and not at all like most of the fluff that pervades the market.

Definitely worth a try if you get a chance. You may not like them, but they are quality products.

I'm testing the Montale and Crown scents today, one on each arm and I must say....

Sandringham IS 1872, I think the may have mistakenly put 1872 into the vile at parfumsraffy

Marquis is also quite nice....VERY nice.

Crown Spiced Limes....WHOA, Citrus and soapy...I think I like it.

Crown Park Royal, I don't know about this one yet....something awfully familiar....I can't quite place it.
    It has settled down a bit, pretty nice, classy....figured it out....seems to me like a STRONGER Havana with more spice and less citrus.

I think I may have to spring for big bottles of 'em all

Overall, VERY impressed with this line.
    WOW...

Marquis - NICE NICE NICE, I do see similarities to GIT, but not too much. (STRONG BUY)

Sandringham - VERY similar to 1872 but I love 1872 so I guess I LOVE this too. (STRONG BUY)

Crown Park Royal - Very similar to Havana....VERY (BUY)

Crown Spiced Limes - nice soapy citrus, but just not me. (HOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    Sumare is a surprisingly warm and rich scent with leather and coffee notes, but not in the Yohji or Angel way - this is dry and rich with blended citrus notes. Magnificent!<br><br>marlen

I recently acquired some Crown scents....Sumare is definitely an unsung hero of Crown. I smell the citrus wonderfully blended with an ever so slight hint of leather.....with a drydown of....well, to me it's a blend of warm brown sugar and coffee....pretty good although unconventional I must say.

I would have to give the jewel prize to Marquis though....great all-purpose scent IMO.
    I just don't see why a lot of people don't like this line....it's pretty damn good.