Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Vetiver - old vs new

so i've done a bit of research trying to figure out if Guerlain Vetiver has actually been changed pre vs post 2000. most people i talked to say that only the bottle has changed, and the juice remains the same. but i've also read (here) that the new one does actually smell a bit different - perhaps a little cleaner and lighter or something.

having never smelled the old one, i can't make a first hand judgement. does anyone here have both, and could do a lil sniff test for me?

thanks much.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver - old vs new

Yes they did change it, but only ever so slightly. I think it has actually improved, the new one is less cloying. But of course, many here feel that nobody has the right to taper with Guerlain, not even Guerlain...
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

thanks pieter

glad to hear that you think it's an improvement. i wish i could smell for myself but alas, i have had no luck finding the old stuff so don't know what i'm missing.
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

i wonder if the difference could just be due to age... every bottle of pre-2000 out there is, obviously, at least 5 years old. maybe it's just "aged" like a fine wine...

I like the new stuff [smiley=thumbsup.gif] enough that I don't really care what the old stuff smells like, except maybe out of pure curiosity

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Overcome By Fumes

I agree with the concern expressed by Liquid. I have recently acquired some older stock and I do find it to smell different, but it's mainly that the older has less topnote, which is the change most noted with simple aging in any fragrance. There is definitely more lemon in the newer stock, and the vetiver smells cleaner and more refined, as opposed to a darker character of the vetiver in the old stock. I can't say I prefer either fragrance.

The vintage GV is VERY different from the new and its not a case of aging either coz my dad has gone through many bottles over the years. He stopped wearing it about 5-6 years ago, said it just doesn't smell the same anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    The vintage GV is VERY different from the new and its not a case of aging either coz my dad has gone through many bottles over the years. He stopped wearing it about 5-6 years ago, said it just doesn't smell the same anymore.
    I agree with Milamber. The old juice had more sparkle and it was darker and minus the fresher top notes that docluv describes, even when new. It had more body, less tobacco, a tad more vetiver and a lot less lemon/citrus at the top. Unfortunately, a current side by side comparison would not likely be a true representation because of the age of the old stock but you never know, a nicely preserved bottle may still be available. If you have a Perfumania close to you, they may have some old stock available.
    All that said, I loved the old one and I love the new one.

Eric

Originally I liked the old version better. But I'm rethinking that now.

I had a miniature of the new version that I found was easier to wear in more circumstances than the old version.

I think I may have to buy a bottle of the new version.

i think i want both. if someone finds a place to buy the old stuff, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    *if someone finds a place to buy the old stuff, please let me know. *
    I was in perfumesraffy a couple of weeks ago and they had about 10 gift sets of the old version with shower gell and after shave foe $30.

You may have to call them because it's not listed on their website.

ghaza
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    i think i want both. *if someone finds a place to buy the old stuff, please let me know. *
    I'll see what i can do. Its not likely to be cheap though.

]I'll see what i can do. Its not likely to be cheap though.
    ah thanks milamber. but please don't go to any trouble. if it's expensive, i'll likely not be able to get it anyway (at least not right away). thank you for offering to look though.

... It had more body, less tobacco, a tad more vetiver and a lot less lemon/citrus at the top.
    *Eric
    You nailed it *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I have both. The most noticeable difference(in terms of smell, of course) is the petrochemical note in the new version. The old one is richer, more bassy, drier, powdery and has more tobacco. The new version is lighter, more lively and more citrusy. The new one has a light floral note, to me at least. The drydown of the old one is powdery while the drydown on the new one is more grassy. Overall, the old one is heavy on the base and very earthy, while the new one is heavy on the top-middle and focuses on the grass(sap) note(which makes it a little sharper).

Hope this helps