Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Scents it took you awhile to "get"?

I've had the same experiences with many listed on this thread--especially Goutal's Vetyver--but the one that took me the longest and went from the greatest confusion to the greatest understanding was Caron's Pour un Homme. At first it was just awful. Medicinal, rank, absent, harsh and completely incomprehensible. That was true for a half dozen sniffings. Then there was THE ONE. Bang, I got it. It got even better on the skin. It always does.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

For me it was Heritage.

"Gawd, I smell like my dead grandmother..."
    Then my girl commented on how much she liked the colonge I was wearing, so I stuck with it.
    I still smell like my grandmother, but I don't let it bother me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rapscallion
    For me it was Heritage.

"Gawd, I smell like my dead grandmother..."
    Then my girl commented on how much she liked the colonge I was wearing, so I stuck with it.
    I still smell like my grandmother, but I don't let it bother me anymore.
    Ha! Same reaction I had when I smelled Opium PH (though it smells like my aunt.)

Beginning to like it though.

Noooooooooooo!!!!!! (Skywalker)

For all of you who don't yet undertand BdP give it time... you'll be glad you did.

I am still waiting to "get" Vintage Tabarome, though, in the same vein.

There are some scents I wish I didn't get...and those I sell.

Have a good weekend.

Out of all the scents I have ever owned, there was only one that, try as I might (and boy did I try... and try... and try...), I simply couldn't abide.

FM Vetiver Extraodinaire

Admittedly, it is a real masterpiece but I could never get my nose around that initial and long lasting bar-b-cue sauce note so I reluctantly sold the big bottle I had picked up last year. I still have a few of the 10ml sprayers around but I am certain, or as certain as I could ever expect to be, that Vetiver Extraordinaire and I will never again share the same space.

But I keep these sprayers around... just in case... you never know... certainty is the most uncertain of things sometimes.

Griff
    Griff

It took several wearings of Habit Rouge--Lemon, Vanilla, Patchouli, and Leather gave me such different impressions of the frag that I couldn't understand it. One moment I'm thinking fresh and alive with a vitality, another moment I'm thinking confident and sophisticated yet down to earth, another is an overbearing, over-the-hill fogey with resistance to change, and finally a devillish cad bordering on perverse! I've never worn such a frag with so many facets, and I've accepted the fact that just perhaps I could be all these men mentioned and it took HR to do some inner reflection....WHO KNOWS!???

L'Homme Sage--at first I couldn't get past this smell of rubbery and oily nature, now I'm at this point where it gives me the impression of something dark and mysterious, quiet yet on the verge of something tumultuous like the quiet before the storm, and then evolves to something sweet, sensitive and loving without boundaries. I'm starting to get a kick out of this one.

Nu--I don't know how to base my final decisions on this yet. It's abstract, rather linear, and yes I understand it's subtle notes of androgyny to it, but I still don't fully understand it yet. It has that tonic floral green freshness of Chanel No. 19 or Cristalle, next I'm thinking it's awfully powdery frou-frou, another time I was thinking it smelled like potato chips (don't laugh, I swear it did!), but there's no mistaking that peppery incense note which I love. I still don't know where to go yet with this, but very possible it might be a thumbs up.

One that I don't understand anymore is Givenchy Insense', I don't find those notes anymore which I really liked. And finally Wings for Men, I loved how it smelled in the air on others, but I don't get it at all on me. Why I bought it I don't know, maybe just too much hope with it.

Thanks for the thread CologneJunkie, I really needed it to help me reflect on these frags! [smiley=smiley.gif]

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Passage d'Enfer
    Vetiver Extraordinnaire
    LV - Vetiver
    LV - Incence

Also Baïme and Virgilio to some extent.

I think they all need time to be understood

They all have a different way its qualitiy and weaknesses.

I believe it can take quiet some time until you really have the whole picture from head to base and even to discover how it does cold on a clothes etc........

laurent
    Invisible Power