Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blog Entries

Default Scents it took you awhile to "get"?

I love Ziffy's post about scent's that "wowed" you from the start! That actually made me think of the one scent I HATED when I first smelled it...but then I kept going back to it...there was something intriguing about it...then BAM! You understood it. You respected it. And it became a cherished scent to you.

That's what happened w/ me & Burberry Brit .

You?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Scents it took you awhile to "get"?

Lancome Poeme -- I used to smell cheap air freshener,
    Dior Addict -- it does not like me. I am still trying to tame it, and it does not want to. I will give it a couple of more attempts and then give up.

Currently wearing: Omnia Paraiba by Bulgari

You know, I think this can happen with most scents if people have an "open" nose and keep trying it; at first I didn't enjoy L'Anarchiste or Black Cashmere, something about clove which doesn't seem right for these frags( funny because I love clove, just not wearing it). With repeated wearings I came to enjoy the Caron and the DK is still growing on me.

That actually happened to me with several fragrances. You try it the first time and dismiss it quickly based on the topnotes, then you try it again fully and then love it.

MPG Santal Noble
    D&G Pour Homme
    A*men - I remeber tested this the first time, I got turned off with that awful tar note, but it soon turned into a lovely dark gourmand fragrance.
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

Aqua Di Parma Colonia. Hated it at first. Could never wear it, no way! Shelved it for months. Tried it one day....fell immediately in Love. Thinking about it now, it could have been the seasons...cold at first, then hot when I tried it again. In the hotter months, it just worked beautifully.

It has taken a while to "get" A*men. and I'm still waiting * [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

I generally take my time to "get" fragrances but the slowest have been Fahrenheit and Guerlain Vertiver(new). Both have that bewildering petro-chemical note that i used to find very disconcerting.

Guerlain Vetiver(new one especially)
    A*Men
    Laguna Homme(salty note took a while for me to get)
    Bvlgari Black
    Burberry Brit(thought I accidentally sprayed the women's version on the test card when I first tried it)
    Aramis
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Eau Sauvage(thought it smelled like dishwasher)

The scents that are hard to "get" are usually the ones that won't bore you easily

For me, Bois du Portugal falls into this category.

A*men took me a few wearings to truly appreciate. I first applied it to my clothes and noticed an awful mold note. I later realized that this is a scent that absolutely NEEDS skin for it to develop.

Aqua Quorum was a scent that I actually regretted buying at first. I was so used to strong frags so I couldn't even smell it. After wearing it a few times my nose was able to fine tune itself to this scent. To my surprise it's actually long lasting with plenty of sillage. I didn't even realize that it was a spicy scent until later.

Geir didn't strike me as anything special at first. After all the praise it gets here I was expecting something remarkable. It was a basic sweet scent to me and I wasn't impressed much. But after wearing it for a week straight, I realized all the nuances that I overlooked initially. It is far from simple and incredibly complex. This is my new favorite and I think it will stay at the top of my list for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by whitebar
    For me, Bois du Portugal falls into this category.
    I tried BdP last weekend and I'm afraid it's gonna take me a long time to "get" it
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Since perfumes is such a new interest of mine, I'm amazed on how quickly I've changed taste in scents. It seems like the nose really has developed and can appreciate waaay more different type of scents now compared with before. I love it.

The only fragrance I can think of now is Kyoto, which I hated at first. But it didn't take that long for me to love it.

A*MEN
    BdP
    Neroli Sauvage

Another vote for A*men here.

Two from YSL actually - M7 and Opium.

Took me about 5 full day wearings of Habit Rouge to truly appreciate this classic.

This is the reason this habit is so expensive for me. For every full bottle I buy in the hope of "getting" eventually, there's probably 5 that I never "get". But it's that 1 out of 5 that keeps me hopeful ... and in hock up to my ass.

Anyway,

Sequoia - was probaly the one that took me longest to get. At first, all I got was "red mulch" and not much else. But I kept coming back to my sample vials until I finally started to see there was a bit more depth to it. Still very strong redwood note, but now I have a full size bottle and love it!

BdP - I bought this one blind (1 oz.) and when I first sprayed it, I thought it just smelled like a version of my nighttime staple for so many years, Versace L'Homme. But the more and more I tried it, I finally figured out that you HAVE to wait for the drydown on this one. Now, IT'S my staple nighttime/formal fragrance.

OV - I downright HATED this when I first sampled it. I hate green fragrances. And vetiver. But one day, I was in Sam's Club and a woman and her husband actually chased me down to ask me what I was wearing. After that, I decided to give it more consideration ... and after a few months, now I love it!

Right now, I'm in the process of working on Mark Birley. I really don't "get it" yet ... but I'm hoping I eventually do, as I'm a whore for daytime/fresh scents. As I've said in other posts, right now this just smells like a classier version of CdG Dry Clean. But only time will tell if I'm going to spring for another $95 for this.

Here are mine:

Ungaro II
    Comme des Garcons EDP
    Lapidus PH
    Insense Givenchy

All smelled VERY strange to me at first number of samllings/wears. These took me from week to 2 months to really appreciate them.

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Piper Nigrum - took several wearings
    Santal Noble - the topnotes kinda grossed me out. Now I love it from beginning to end.
    Vetiver Extraordinaire - the harsh, dusty ozone notes took some getting used to.
    Annick Goutal Vetiver - this one was a big NO on first sniff. I eventually came around.

Still waiting to get: M7 and Patou Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    This is the reason this habit is so expensive for me. *For every full bottle I buy in the hope of "getting" eventually, there's probably 5 that I never "get". *But it's that 1 out of 5 that keeps me hopeful ... and in hock up to my ass. *

LOL!

*Nowdays I try *to get a sample. * *If I'm at a shop, * I confine myself to a max of 2 frags, *lightly spritzed on each arm, *then walk about till drydown----otherwise it's nose overkill---and my *batting average as poor as *buying blind.

THAT BEING SAID:

1. Gentleman by Givenchy.---Everyone raved *at what an elegant scent this was, but I didn't *'get it' until I sprayed progressively less quantities and allowed for longer drydown--then I finally got it and realized *I CAN'T STAND THE STUFF !!

What *Grey Flannel does for woody chypre, *this *one does for wood patchouli--it's Prom Night in the suburbs among rented tuxedos. *Gave it away.

On the other hand

2. OR *Black by Pascal Morabito---Is now a favorite of mine for fall and winter, *though at first I thought I had bought concentrated olive oil.

For those of you who are fans of Piper Nigrum you may want to give this ancient classic a try. *Less complex than PN but *more of a powerhouse. * *
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Blog Entries

Muscs Koublaï Khan holds the record: it took seven test-drives to get it!!! First runner-up is the notoriously difficult and temperamental Mitsouko: it took six test-drives. Also hated Angel on the first test-drive but made a U-turn on the second one...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

The Dreamer - took several testings at a local Sephora before I came upon a swap deal I couldn't resist, which involved this scent. I still almost never wear it, but am eternally fascinated by it and will wear it once in a while during cold weather. I think the tootsie roll note was what kept me coming back, but there was always something a bit offputting in the top that I had (and sometimes still do) a hard time with. It was very "chemically" smelling to me for lack of a better description. I am also not typically drawn to sweet scents, having tried many gourmands and never keeping them.

Being from India, I took to the Vetivers very well usually. I got along well with both the Guerlain one ( which I love ) and the creed one (OV) - but L'Artisan - boy. This one took me for a spin. Even now, the intellectual dry note of this one is a tough sit on me (though I love the sandalwood and musk ending).

Also, Hermes Hiris was one that took me a while. The metallic note of Iris that opens it while leading to the dirt caked core was a bit too much.

MpG Route du Vetiver was another.

Bois du Portugal - The sharp start threw me off.

Passage d'Enfer - Incense and me had a hatred that turned to love very recently. After this one, infact

From the above ones, all I can draw is that raw and very natural smelling scents with nothing to make the blatant earthiness go away all make me want to look the other way initially. But that is why I keep going back to them...and that is why all of the above are among my most favourite ones as of today.

I wanted to like Kouros so bad. Once I was looking for Body Kouros and they didn't have it so the SA made me try Kouros. I thought it was disgusting, but yet it kind of had a WOW factor too! So over the course of about two years, every few times I was testing something I'd try the Kouros and every time it was really bad, yet compelling. I had watched an old film from 1915 that made me think of the decayed beauty of Kouros, and I was really interested in trying it again. I bought a bottle of the Cologne Sport, which is really odd in its own way, its really no more palatable to the masses, and in a way- it replaces Kouros notorious "pee" note with a slightly fecal/jasmine/indole/ horse manure note of its own!

But then when I got a bottle of Kouros, I grew to love the stuff. I didn't buy it to wear on dates or to the club. I got it because its very evocative and when I put some on, it really takes me to some dreamy otherworldly places-some heavenly, some dark. Its a good scent to just sit and smell while you're daydreaming.

If you hate Kouros, I guarantee i hated it just as much or more the first ten times I tried it, but still- once you can appreciate the depth, complexity and originality of it, you'll be awe of one of the greatest scents in perfume history. One you'll never tire of.

Its like dating. if she sleeps with you on the first date, is she really a keeper?

Discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Its like dating. *if she sleeps with you on the first date, is she really a keeper?

HELL YEAH!

For a while anyway ... [smiley=evil.gif]

1) Platinum Egoïste. Couldn't take this one at first, in spite of trying. *I thought it was more of a cool weather scent. *The I tried it in warm weather and it was an instant classic. One of my top five ever since.

2) To a lesser extent, CSP Aqua Motu. I even wrote a scathing review of this based upon it not conforming to my marine/aquatic expectations... but it's grown on me. I'd consider purchasing a bottle, if only I could get a small one or a decant!

* * * a) which reminds me: it would be nice if we could edit our reviews after they are posted on BN. I would modify my take on Motu... I feel kind of bad about * * * *the first one - it was probably a bit hasty.

-Ronald

It took me a very long time to "get" A*Men. All of my friends and co-workers hated it (most of them still do) and I never heard anything good about it. That was in my pre-Basenotes days, I should add. But something made me try and try it again. I think after three months or so I was ready to wear it and shortly after that, I bought my first bottle.

Same thing with Angel. At first I hated it, now I love it. It's so sad that people ask me: "Hey, what are you wearing. Smells great!" And I say: "Ummhh... it's...err..Angel" And I get very confused looks and soemtimes a not so nice remark. But over the months I got used to it.

Kouros. It still isn't one I love, but now at least I don't hate it, and understand it.

Jacomo de Jacomo. I thought it was all about the "liquid smoke" scent (you can buy a product in the supermarket called "liquid smoke" for a smoky flavor. Just don't mistake it for soy sauce like I did! ;D ), but it has a nice floral dry down once you get past that. Took me about a year to get to that point..

The Baron. I thought it was all about the blue, sweet fragrance. Yuck! With a little patience it turns nicely spicy and dirty. Look forward to wearing it this fall. Utterly tacky bottle.

In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    1) Platinum Egoïste. Couldn't take this one at first, in spite of trying. *I thought it was more of a cool weather scent. *The I tried it in warm weather and it was an instant classic. One of my top five ever since.
    So right about this. I always have a small bottle to take on my travels to sunnier climes.

I am still working on Gendarme V.
    I usually love ylang ylang and civet, so imagine my joy in finding them as the major accords in a men's fragrance.
    BUT...I have yet to try it and not wrinkle up my nose in an involunary "P U!" reaction. I still have one more sample vial left so I am willing to keep trying. Wish me luck! :-?
    "Ca sent les pieds!"