Code of Conduct

Default Oriental question

I'm Japanese but I do not like oriental fragrance very much, but there's one exception here; Gucci Pour Homme. I have no idea what is the key ingredient in there attracting me, but I think it's a wonderful scent. Maybe it's an amazing combination of spicy, woody, leathery, and sweet notes, which is truely beautiful and whenever I wear it, I feel very attractive. Well, my problem is I don't like most of the other orientals! Habit rouge smells like coca-cola with velvety carnation (no offense to those who love this frangrance, though). M7 smells like a powdery incense. Anteus smells somewhat a bit too leathery (though I like the fruity part of this Anteus). Opium Pour Homme... I just don't like it. Egoiste smells like blackberry fermented by sandalwood (again, no offense to those who love it). L'Instant is full of amber and cocoa beans, which are unbearably sweet to me. But I have not given up orientals yet. Now, I need your help. What other oriental fragrance would you recommend to this helplessly cranky Japanese? Thanks for your help. :

Default Re: Oriental question

I will never tire of recommending D&G By Man...

Just for the record...
    Last week I was showing a perfume to a customer. I explained to the lady that this particular perfumes was an Oriental. She answered in a rather bitchy way that she had traveled all over Asia and the people over there just didn't wear perfumes of that type, that it was a western misconception... blah, blah, blah...
    So I made the widest smile possible and said: "Madame, when the term Oriental-note was introduced in perfumers-talk more than a century ago, they were refering to the ambery perfumes of the "Moyen-Orient" or "Arabia". Orientals have nothing to do with Asia."

Yes , it's my understanding too that oriental denotes a rich in balsam and resins Middle- Eastern concotion. Certianly not farther than India....To me anything else is Far East.
    Japan and China are traditionally much more subtle in their approach to perfume , aren't they?
    I would suggest Feminite de Bois by Shiseido which is a dry cedar with resiny base , very wearable for a guy.

Ah, my favourite scent category. Let's see if we can tempt you with these:

1. Serge Lutens Vertiver Oriental
    2. Kenzo Jungle
    3. Hanae Mori EDP
    4. L' Artisan Passage d'Enfer
    5. Dior Bois d' Argent
    6. Boucheron's Jaipur
    7. Chopard's Casran
    8. Lolita Lempicka
    9. Rochas Man
    10. Burberry Brit

To add on to Cedric's comment, once I was showing two beautiful ladies from Turkey fragrances (they told me they were from there) and were looking for something "sexy." My bosses might want me to push RL Romance in that situation, but I showed them a few I liked (mostly orientals) and they fell in love with the scents, saying, "These are the kind of scents we would get back home."

Has nothing really to do with anything but thought I'd share it since the spicyness of most orientals is much more of a Middle-East preference than Far East.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

One of my all-time oriental favourite is Ricci Club. Very outstanding and great quality.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Isn't Shiseido's BASARA from Japan? It's one of the spiciest perfumes EVER!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Since Oriental scents comprise 75% of my wardrobe, it's funny to think that I didn't like them from the start. I too considered them way too sweet and "feminine". However, there were a few scents that eventually changed my perspective on them. These were Gucci Envy, YSL Body Kouros, and D&G By Man. These aren't too sweet and can perhaps accustom your nose for more extreme Orientals such as gourmands.

Certainly, you've got to step up to them gradually. Their power and breadth can be overwhelming.

Baldessarini

It's possible that you prefer a Woody-Oriental type frag...give Heritage a try, the base is warm, but for the most part it's woody and peppery with spice to give the warmth some dimension. It smells heavy and sweet at first, but give the heart of the frag a chance to emerge before judging...it's worth the wait. Hemessence Poivre is dry and woody also, but without the punch of the frankincense note as in Gucci PH.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Isn't Shiseido's BASARA from Japan? It's one of the spiciest perfumes EVER!
    Yes, but not released with the Japanese market in mind. Shiseido is a huge corporation with several brands and lines. Almost like L'Oreal.

Not to hijack this thread once again, but this reminds me of the absurdity of targeting scents for cultures.

When True Star for Men was launched, I was told by account execs that it was a way to finally target the Latino/Hispanic market, and this why they chose Enrique for the face of the scent. I thought this was kind of rediculous because every person I know that is Hispanic isn't looking for something different in a fragrance, and want the exact same thing as anyone else. Just shows the lack of common sense in the execs.

The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Vibrant_Violet,

If you like *Gucci Pour Homme*, I am pretty sure you'll like *Comme des Garçons 2 Man* and Floris *Santal*. They are very much along the same lines as *Gucci Pour Homme*. Similar, though not as close to *Gucci Pour Homme*, is Penhaligon's *Endymion*. Finally two subtle and beautiful orientals are *Ho Hang* and *Balenciaga Pour Homme*. The last one is almost impossible to fine, but it is really quite exquisite, and I have a sense from your descriptions of what you like and don't like in orientals, that you'll like this one.

Regards,

scentemental

I stumbled across this site that sells their own traditional orientals:
    http://www.oriscent.com/index.php
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Wow! Thanks for all these info!

VV

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Just for the record...
    Last week I was showing a perfume to a customer. I explained to the lady that this particular perfumes was an Oriental. She answered in a rather bitchy way that she had traveled all over Asia and the people over there just didn't wear perfumes of that type, that it was a western misconception... blah, blah, blah...
    So I made the widest smile possible and said: "Madame, when the term Oriental-note was introduced in perfumers-talk more than a century ago, they were refering to the ambery perfumes of the "Moyen-Orient" or "Arabia". Orientals have nothing to do with Asia."
    Aw come on! You gotta finish the story! What was her reaction to your comment??
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia