Code of Conduct

Default Got my Comme des Garcons Series- reviews

Hey Guys,

Its Christmas morning here!

I just got my package from LuckyScent with 3 of the 4 CdGs I ordered (Sequoia is backordered -drat)

First off, Calamus from the Leaves Series. I had been napping when the Fedex guy knocked on the door with my package. And actually, believe it or not, it was one of those rare occasions that during my nap, where I was having a really nice dream involving both the new girl at work and an old ex-girlfiend. Yeah, just my luck-i'm about to actually "finish" in my dream(which never happens, i digress), when I am rudely awakened by a delivery of goodies! Life is cruel.

Well, I took out the Calamus from its box. God these bottles are TINY! I know its 1.7 oz, but still- they just seem like something that belongs on a keychain. From all the pictures I saw i was expecting them to be larger, and for the price i would think you should get 2.5 oz at least.

I sprayed it on my arm expecting weirdness. And I was not dissappointed, it's odd for sure. But I love it. It smells very green and milky, a bit starchy even. Also its a tad musky and sexual. It kind of smells like "first thing in the morning sex". Shifts said in his review that he wanted to make love to his arm the first time he tried it, and now as this stuff is drying down I know the feeling! Its unisex, and I'm gonna love wearing it, but I'd love to smell this on a woman as well. It even kind of has a familiarity of an ex-girlfriend to it too. Since I was really deep into my dream when the package arrived, I'm afraid every time I wear Calamus, I'll think of that dream, my ex, and the new girl at work. It would be perfect if i could have sprayed the Calamus on, went back to sleep, resumed the dream and etcetera...but dreams never work like that.

On to Dry Clean. I already have Skai from the Synthetic Series, and I still think nothing tops Skai. Dry Clean is nice, but its not wowing me yet- probably because I'm trying a bunch of scents today, and olfactory fatigue is knocking at the door (He always knows to crash the party about 30 minutes after the Fedex and UPS guys visit- does he ever do this to you too?) Anyway, Dry Clean is pretty minimal and its similar to Soda. You can tell its minimal when you compare the synthetic ingredients. Besides water, alcohol, and fragrance- Skai has 13 synthetic ingredients listed (its got to be the "Big C" in a bottle, but I love it). Dry Clean only has 4 extras, and they're the usual suspects -eugenol, linalool, citronellol, and limonene. What, no coumarin? It almost seems quaint! I was gonna make this a work scent, but i don't know. Its kind of freaky in the way that Odeurs 53 and 71 are, so i might just use it for those more bohemian occasions. I'll give Dry Clean a proper review later.

Ahh, Jaisalmer from the Incense series. Why did I save you for last? I'll tell you why, because sometimes I'm a smart mutha f*cker. This sh*t rocks!!! I'm gonna have to get bottles of the whole incense series, because this is the kind of stuff that CdG just knocks out of the park. I love all of their concepts and weird stuff, but when they make wearable incense scents that grab you and grab the people around you, They do not mess around. I was afraid this scent was gonna be too sweet but its not at all. it does have a nice clove note, but its just really deep smelling. Its everything you want in an incense scent. Its similar to Messe de Minuit, but not as cloying in sweetness, and its very wearable. Also this one is going to get a bigger review later. I have to go run some errands. I have some stuff to do tonight and drinks and nude women will be involved (its a drawing class)- I have to pick up some beer and pencils, lol! I definitely will be wearing Jaisalmer tonight I believe.

more later...

toodles!

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Got my Comme des Garcons Series- reviews

Nice review...Jaisalmer is my favorite of the Incense series, actually, but these are ones that urge me to test and re-test. Actually, if it weren't for the delivery, you may well have not even remembered the dream, eh?

Alright! I'm glad you and Calamus made friends right away! Excellent first impression-reviews too.

This weekend I'm going to aquaint myself with Sequoia and CdG 3... I've tried them, but not given them proper wearings...

I got some other CdG samples, and i gave them a brief test. CdG3 is really interesting. CdG EDP smells like apple crisp plus other stuff- really nice. Rose and Carnation I liked also.

Also got samples of Miller et Bertaux GGG&G, Costume National Scent, Frank Los Angeles, L'Artisan Navegar (I always wanted to try this, and i didn't even ask for it!), and some other stuff. All will be reviewed.

But I think CdG3 could be something special,

Great story there Indie, I'm preparing to buy many samples of the CdG series, so I'll give them all a try. I'll also post a review of them when I recieve them. Hopefully my fellow basenoters know their scents, as I'm basically trying everything everyone recommended.

Niche scents here I come!

I got Frank Los Angeles from them as well, and the only thing it reminds me of is the butter one gets on popcorn at the movies... I shudder at the thought.

you've just inspired me to finally put on calamus, cause I've been nervous about it cause one person on luckyscents says it smells like vomit!

it's very leafy moreso than others... I think maybe the idea of vomit is more... like the wood shavings or whatever they are that are commonly poured on top of vomit when schoolchildren upchuck at school!

I guess this scent really gets some of you going and.. it's interesting cause I'm gay and I find the fragrance somewhat repulsive...

I like the peppermint sherbet but the leaves mint is disgusting to me, like putting on scope or toothpaste or mouthwash....

no kidding though calamus does disturb me a bit I don't like it!! I think it also reminds me a bit of some herb someone told me to eat to get high one time then it turned out that in fact it was meant to make people throw up lol oh I hope I am not ruining this for you lol

I'm waiting for my Jaisalmer sample to show up. I have a sample Avignon and love it! It reminds me of halloween. I also have a sample of Dry Clean that's nearly full. I thinks it's a nice scent, but I can't seem to bring myself to give it a full wearing. Of the synthetics line, I liked Tar the best. It reminds me of Odeur 53, but without the "celluloid" sweetness.
    Calamus...I love it! I have a 1.7oz bottle of it. It's summer in a bottle.
    I don't think it smells like vomit, unless it's suppose to smell like grasshopper vomit.

I plan on getting another CDG fragrance soon, but can't make up my mind on what to get. There was a time when Harissa caught my interest quite a bit.

Supermarky....

I don't think you are going to ruin this for anybody! In fact, I love knowing that it is so quirky that many don't like it. I don't think being gay has anything to do with liking it or not liking it. The fact that I like it a lot disproves any link to sexual preference!

Have you tried the incense series? They are the bomb!

I am still hoping somebody is going to do a review of the new Guerilla series (1 and 2). Anybody?

Awesome reviews...you've got me wanting to try them out now, dangit.

Drop me a note sometime.

Calamus is my favourite of the Leaves Series, it captures perfectly the smell of the white sap in some plants.

The notes are: bamboo leaf, celery grains, angelica root and rose berries
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Smile Re: Got my Comme des Garcons Series- reviews

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    Supermarky....

...... I don't think being gay has anything to do with liking it or not liking it. The fact that I like it a lot disproves any link to sexual preference!
    Thanks for saying it, Paintrman. I was about to until I saw you already had ; )
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Calamus is nice, sometimes it turns too sweet on me, but the green opening is to die for:-)

Jaisalmer has guaiac wood. I also try guaiac from Micallef, but the Jais is much nicer imo, kind of less literal smell of wood. And the incense is never that delicious:-)
    Last edited by nqt; 21st July 2006 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    Supermarky....

I don't think you are going to ruin this for anybody! In fact, I love knowing that it is so quirky that many don't like it. I don't think being gay has anything to do with liking it or not liking it. The fact that I like it a lot disproves any link to sexual preference!

Have you tried the incense series? They are the bomb!

I am still hoping somebody is going to do a review of the new Guerilla series (1 and 2). Anybody?
    he, beauty, if it is yourself depicted, tomorrow i will make a trip to cologne for the guerilla store there, being a hardcore comm devotee since 1984, it'll be a pleasure for me to review them after being back!
    si doux, tout musc...

Oh, I have been writing more about being gay and fragrance...

I love Avignon; I also love Joris Karl Huysmans.

Maybe there should be a discussion of being catholic and frangrances.

The drydown from Zagorsk is like cheer/tide to me, detergent, nyet, Zagorsk.

Mlle de Sevigné once wrote, "the others in the series just be wishin they was Avignon!"

She should have played with Nag Champa in this series too... What designer would be good for that... I once met a man who worked for Rei Kawakubo (sic) and he was american and he said she would always call him in and say "ok which do you like the red the black the blue or the green" and he'd say "I like the red and the green" and she'd always go with the blue and the black. So it just goes to show...

But someone shoudl take Nag Champa and de-hippie-fy somehow cuase it's such a nice scent.

we'd need a larger sample than 3 basenotes queens on the calamus question...to attempt to prove or disprove anything though, cmon!

I find jaisalmer resembles Vetiver Extraordinaire a lot