Code of Conduct

Default Strong, unique fragrances?

Hello all. I'm new to the board but have been into fragrances for a long time. I have 2 main criteria for choosing fragrances. 1 is that they must be unique. I'm sick of all the colognes that smell like the same old leather, alcohol, wood, marine, whatever. 2 is that it has to be very strong and have a lot of staying power. Cologne does not stay well on my skin and even the strongest scents last 4 hours tops. To give you an idea of what I mean by strong and unique my current favorite scents are Hanae Mori, Escada Magnetism and A*Men. I'm looking for new fragrances that have an original unique scent like these and have a lot of staying power. I live in Iowa so we get nothing but the popular, played out, big name stuff here. I need some help. Please give me some suggestions.

Default Re: Strong, unique fragrances?

I was going to recommend the likes of Caron's Yatagan and Third Man but since you say you only get mainstream stuff there, i think Escada Pour Homme and Guerlain's Habit Rouge would be good choices if you can find them.

I don't mind buying blind if I can find a reasonable price online. The point I was making is that I have no way to find original or interesting fragrances on my own and I need you guys' help to do so! Make your suggestions, I'll check reviews and prices and see what looks reasonable.

Uhhmm....see my Feeling Man thread.

Strong and unique certainly fit the bill on this one.

Haha, I read that thread, you didn't exactly make it sound appealing.

Welcome to Basenotes! I would recommend Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi as something unique and different. One thing you might consider is looking in the "sell and swap your stuff section" here.

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...board=sellswap

Many people sell decants there so you could try several different things before purchasing a whole bottle. Blind purchases are risky business and one can make some costly mistakes. You wallet will thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy
    I don't mind buying blind if I can find a reasonable price online. *The point I was making is that I have no way to find original or interesting fragrances on my own and I need you guys' help to do so! *Make your suggestions, I'll check reviews and prices and see what looks reasonable.
    Now we're talking!!! Not many too interesting fragrances out by the designer houses but looking back a few years, i think these will fit:
    1. Azzaro Visit
    2. M7
    3. Gucci PH
    4. Bulgari Black
    5. Chanel Allure

The classics will not disappoint in giving you the boldness that most contemporary scents lack.
    1. Chanel Antheus
    2. Caron L'Anarchiste
    3. Caron Third Man
    4. Habit Rouge
    5. Benetton Colors
    6. yes, Feeling Man (but tough to find)
    7. DK Fuel (another tought to find)
    8. Kenzo Jungle
    9. Safari
    10. Laguna by Dali

The artisinal houses will definitely spread your spectrum of scents even further with their unique blends:
    1. Creeds Himalaya, Selection Verte, Millisime Imperial, Bois du Portugal (a must own for woody category)
    2. Artisan's Navagateur, Dzing! and Tea for Two.
    3. Lorenzo Villoresi's Yerbamate and Piper Nigrum.
    4. Annick Goutal's Duel
    5. Serge Luten's Vertiver Oriental

All those must be sampled first as they will cost a bomb. Check the archives for threads on where to buy online.

I've tried a few of those. I have a bottle of L'Anarchiste on the way from eBay, it was only $25 compared to $10 for a decent so I figured why not. My opinions on those I've tried:

M7: I do like this one, just not quite enough to buy. Smells like all the woody and spices fragrances with schizophrenia.
    Himalaya: Love the scent, too weak. Only lasts about an hour, 2 tops.
    Bois du Portugal: Honestly, it just smells like a better made and more complex Old Spice. I'm glad Creed finally made a strong scent though.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it should keep me busy. As far as decants VS bottles, Decants are usually like $10 and I can generally find full bottles on eBay for only about three times that, it generally seems worth the risk. If I like one out of three fragrances I come out even that way

About your Bvlgari Black suggestion: I've been considering this one for a while. The reviews seem really contradictory. I've heard a lot of people say it smells like rubber or burning tires, which to be honest really intrigues me. Others say it smells like the same old woody spicy scent. What's your opinion?

About your Bvlgari Black suggestion: *I've been considering this one for a while. *The reviews seem really contradictory. *I've heard a lot of people say it smells like rubber or burning tires, which to be honest really intrigues me. *Others say it smells like the same old woody spicy scent. *What's your opinion?
    There's nothing "same old woody spicy" about this scent. It'sn not even spicy to begin with. More vanillic, oriental. And yes, the rubbery topnotes are there in all its glory!!! A spicier alternative to me would be Lolita Lempicka and its anise notes. You must also try Nemo and Must pour Homme for a refined version of citrus orientals, bergamot-based scent.

$15 on eBay for Bvlgari Black, the price is right. Who makes Must and Nemo, I'm not really up to speed on a lot of houses.

Cartier and Cacharel respectively.

Strong? Trussardi uomo! Uber-masculine

I've recently discovered Geir based on the recommendations of many Basenoters. It's certainly unique. I didn't think it was strong at first but after getting compliments from people 6 hours after applying, I realized it was stronger than I thought. It's an EDP so it lasts.

[flash=200,200][/flash]Itís warm, spicy and pink. The perfume itself isnít pink, itís perfume coloured, but the label is pink and if you close your eyes and smell Ginger you start to visualise pinkness all around you. The warm, spicy bit comes from the Jamaican ginger essential oil which wraps you up in its strong, gentle arms and keeps you feeling warm and tingly. Exotic flower fragrances of mimosa, ylang and jasmine mingle with rose and geranium to remind you that youíre a woman.
    they are now going to market this fragrance as a unisex, nevertheless i have been wearing this as evening wear for a number of years
    its froma company called lush and its called ginger. Its one of thise fragrances that stays with you all day and you can even smell it on your pillow if you wake up in the morning and havent showered! the website is www.lush.co.uk to get a review and they do have it on ebay and im sure someone will post it to the usa 8-) [smiley=cool.gif]

Ysl M7!

Many of the LV's fit your description:

Piper Nigrum
    Sandalo
    Vetiver

Also try MPG:

Parfum Habit
    Route du Vetiver
    Santal Noble

You can order samples from online stores. Decants are available from several members and from ebay.

I ususally recommend Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. Strong and sweet and lasting. You can email them and ask for samples and if they're in a good mood they'll send you some.

http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/

L'Artisan's Dzing! is also a favourite. It *does* smell of leather, but not in any way you've encountered it before. It's a candied leather, with tonka bean and sawdust notes. Absolutely brilliant!

*Cologne does not stay well on my skin and even the strongest scents last 4 hours tops.
    Cologne doesn't last well on me either ... but two that come to mind immediately which fit your "unique/long-lasting" criteria are ones that have been mentioned already. *Dzing! and Geir. *Nothing, to me, smells like either one of these and both are very wearable ... with Geir being mostly a fresh/daytime scent, and Dzing! being a good "all around" scent ... and so INCREDIBLY unique!

I'm surprised to see you mention Magnetism in the same breath with Hanae Mori and A*Men as being long lasting. *I love Magnetism ... and it will always be in my top 10 ... but the lasting power used to be HORRIBLE until recently. *It took me 4 bottles and time to get my skin to hold this one for a reasonable amount of time.

About your Bvlgari Black suggestion: I've been considering this one for a while. The reviews seem really contradictory. I've heard a lot of people say it smells like rubber or burning tires, which to be honest really intrigues me. Others say it smells like the same old woody spicy scent. What's your opinion?
    This one is very good (and rare - here at least) in my opinion and will very likely be my next purchase for winter. I would never consider this one an "old woody spicy scent" - to me it's very urban and modern. This one REALLY fits the name "Black". I read the reviews and thought I'd never really like smelling like burned tires... then I saw it in a store one day and decided to try it. It's not an overwhelming scent of rubber but it's there and it's very nice and warm. It has lots of vanilla too. Sounds weird - and it is - but it works very well. This one is rubber, burning tires, dark eyes and dark clothes. The bottle looks exactly like it smells. It even has a black "tire" around it.

Even though it is labelled as unisex and has a lot of vanilla I cannot imagine what female would wear this one - unless perhaps she had loads of self-confidence or was maybe into goth style or something.

Might I recomend Bvlgair Pour Homme Extreme? It's very strong, nice mix of pepper, tea and woods. And it lasts forever on me, and my skin eats fragrances alive.

Burberry London is a pretty unique mix of pears and honey and it's very strong.
    Heritage by Guerlain is another excellent choice, and isn't *too* hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    [quote author=Scottyboy link=1128487524/0#0 date=1128487523] *Cologne does not stay well on my skin and even the strongest scents last 4 hours tops.
    Cologne doesn't last well on me either ... but two that come to mind immediately which fit your "unique/long-lasting" criteria are ones that have been mentioned already. *Dzing! and Geir. *Nothing, to me, smells like either one of these and both are very wearable ... with Geir being mostly a fresh/daytime scent, and Dzing! being a good "all around" scent ... and so INCREDIBLY unique!

I'm surprised to see you mention Magnetism in the same breath with Hanae Mori and A*Men as being long lasting. *I love Magnetism ... and it will always be in my top 10 ... but the lasting power used to be HORRIBLE until recently. *It took me 4 bottles and time to get my skin to hold this one for a reasonable amount of time.[/quote]

I suppose it has to do with skin chemistry or something, I'm still a newbie at this stuff compared to most of you, but Magnetism lasts forever on me. I first used it on the day of a 6 hour college conference and I could smell it throughout.

Actually, no one has mentioned Dzing and I'm only slightly familiar with it. Can you give me any more information on it?

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    Might I recomend Bvlgair Pour Homme Extreme? It's very strong, nice mix of pepper, tea and woods. And it lasts forever on me, and my skin eats fragrances alive.

Burberry London is a pretty unique mix of pears and honey and it's very strong.
    Heritage by Guerlain is another excellent choice, and isn't *too* hard to find.
    Are you the same Madgrad from the SA forums? If so this is all your fault.

Hahah yes, I've resurrected my ask/tell thread today and I'm working on the wikipedia type page too now.

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    Hahah yes, I've resurrected my ask/tell thread today and I'm working on the wikipedia type page too now.
    Awesome, that thread was a lot of fun for me. I've liked fragrances for a long time but living where I do Drakkar and Cool Water are the best things available and I had no idea there was so much else out there.

Actually, no one has mentioned Dzing and I'm only slightly familiar with it. *Can you give me any more information on it?
    Yeah, actually Concord mentioned it a few posts above. *I'm horrible at descriptions but it's a very complex scent that's not sharp or citrusy. *Very mellow but incredible smelling and the most unique fragrance I've ever experienced.

You might want to try some of the Santa Maria Novella scents. *Decants are often available on Ebay and there are online retailers who will sell you samples. *In particular, try: Potpourri, Sandalo, Cuba, Nostalgia and my own favourite, Opoponax.

Good luck,

Steely

Laguna - Salvador Dali
    Nostalgia - Santa Maria Novella
    Aqua di Cuba - Santa Maria Novella
    Basala - Shiseido
    Yatagan - Caron
    Balafre - L'oreal

Serge Lutens' Muscs KoublaÔ Khan is as strong as it gets, but I'm afraid it isn't exactly easy to find
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

[quote author=you_show link=1128487524/0#14 date=1128502342 The warm, spicy bit comes from the Jamaican ginger essential oil which wraps you up in its strong, gentle arms and keeps you feeling warm and tingly. Exotic flower fragrances of mimosa, ylang and jasmine mingle with rose and geranium to remind you that youíre a woman.[/quote]

I've been looking for a ginger scent and i have a Lush pretty close by...don't know if i want to be reminded that im a woman though..
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

Quote Originally Posted by minilomaniac
    [quote author=Scottyboy link=1128487524/0#8 date=1128490339]About your Bvlgari Black suggestion: *I've been considering this one for a while. *The reviews seem really contradictory. *I've heard a lot of people say it smells like rubber or burning tires, which to be honest really intrigues me. *Others say it smells like the same old woody spicy scent. *What's your opinion?
    This one is very good (and rare - here at least) in my opinion and will very likely be my next purchase for winter. I would never consider this one an "old woody spicy scent" - to me it's very urban and modern. This one REALLY fits the name "Black". I read the reviews and thought I'd never really like smelling like burned tires... then I saw it in a store one day and decided to try it. It's not an overwhelming scent of rubber but it's there and it's very nice and warm. It has lots of vanilla too. Sounds weird - and it is - but it works very well. This one is rubber, burning tires, dark eyes and dark clothes. The bottle looks exactly like it smells. It even has a black "tire" around it.

Even though it is labelled as unisex and has a lot of vanilla I cannot imagine what female would wear this one - unless perhaps she had loads of self-confidence or was maybe into goth style or something.[/quote]

Very well said! BB is an great but underappreciated oriental. Perhaps because it's readily available or not as light and bizarre as some of Bulgari's more hip offerings

As to others that fit the criteria:

I second Cacharel PH---if you like nutmeg--- Most unusual.

Minotaure---Powerhouse Oriental, strong and long lasting

Jacomo de Jacomo---For fall or winter, woods/clove--you won't have to overdo it, Superstrong with great longevity

and last but not least,

Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali---Burnt woods/smokey scent.

Allright, enough from me; somone else post and save Western culture. 8-)

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Two words...Romeo Gigli.

You can find it very inexpensively at http://www.parfum1.com and I find it very unique and very potent.

Richard James. I'm wearing it today, for the first time. It's quite unique, a complex men's floral with some notes that remind me very much of Geir. Unlike Geir, there is a tobacco/leather thing in the dry down that grounds this a bit. I feel like the drydown is almost too long in coming, but I may have applied it too heavily.

So far I have ordered Bvlgari Black, Nemo, and L'Anarchiste. Minotaure sounds really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The_love
    Laguna - Salvador Dali
    Nostalgia - Santa Maria Novella
    Aqua di Cuba - Santa Maria Novella
    Basala - Shiseido
    Yatagan - Caron
    Balafre - L'oreal
    Great suggestions! I own the Laguna, Basala and Yatagan...and NOTHING smells like these!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Dzing! [smiley=smiley_down.gif]

http://www.laboutiquedelartisanparfu...;thirdlevel=57

Edit: Can't seem to link to the English text:

Discover Dzing! A unique fragrance inspired by the circus. Possesses all of the distinguished fragrances of this wonderful universe: saddle leather, sawdust from the ring and the caramelised smell of candy. A perfume that reveals itself completely on the skin.

Family : leather sweet wood
    Blend : leather, blond wood, caramel, musk

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Dzing! [smiley=smiley_down.gif]
    Discover Dzing! A unique fragrance inspired by the circus. Possesses all of the distinguished fragrances of this wonderful universe: saddle leather, sawdust from the ring and the caramelised smell of candy. A perfume that reveals itself completely on the skin.
    To me that sounds SO unappealing. But so did Bulgari Black... It's amazing how some fragrances surprise you in a positive way - even though the description fits and sounds extremely unappealing. Maybe I should start testing the ones with the most bizarre descriptions. ;D

1 is that they must be unique. I'm sick of all the colognes that smell like the same old leather, alcohol, wood, marine, whatever. 2 is that it has to be very strong and have a lot of staying power.
    Given these criteria I second the suggestion of Romeo Gigli.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Also, Kouros is unique!!!

Yes, precious Kouros! Or, for people who don't like Kouros' strong top notes, the similar but more approachable Lapidus PH.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.