Code of Conduct

Default Castle Forbes, anyone tried it?

Has anyone tried any of the Castle Forbes colognes? The are made in Scotland and from the descriptions sound quite interesting. I'm thinking about making the plunge but was hoping for some feedback before I leap.

Also, being a fan of Trumper's I'd be interested in any feedback on other English colognes of note.

Thanks!

Default Re: Castle Forbes, anyone tried it?

I've tried Gentlemen's Cologne, Keig and Lonach. They were all OK, but I didn't like any of them enough to spend my hard-earned lucre on a full bottle.

My overall impression of Castle Forbes fragrances is that they're simply not distinctive enough to be must-buys.

Gentlemen's Cologne is a fairly traditional-smelling combination of citrus and woods. It's pleasant enough, but I always have problems remembering what it smells like unless I pull out my sample again. That's usually a sign to me that a fragrance is not particularly distinctive.

Keig is a more green/ferny style of men's fragrance with a slightly sour quality when you first apply it. I liked the sourness - and overall I probably liked this the best of the 3 I tried. But Keig didn't have that "wow" factor that often prompts me to buy a fragrance. Again, I felt it lacked distinctiveness.

Lonach - this one is quite sweet. Perhaps too sweet for my nose. I'd describe this as a gourmand-style scent, although I've also seen it described as a "smoky oriental". Personally, I don't detect any smokiness in it, and it's certainly not as spicy as many orientals. I wore this to the office once, but ended up washing it off, because it became too cloying. If you like your fragrances sweet, I think there are many better, more interesting choices around than Lonach.

Overall, I wouldn't put Castle Forbes' fragrances in the same class as Trumper's. I don't find Castle Forbes' stuff as interesting as Trumper's, and they lack that up-market, high quality feel you find in many of Trumper's fragrances.

Verve:
    Thanks for the great descriptions of Castle Forbes colognes. Lonach is the scent I was intereted in trying. As you mentioned, it is touted as an Oriental. I'll stick to more tried and true orintals and pass on the line unless I come across a sample.
    Karl

The only CF that I've tried is the Gentlemen's Cologne. I did buy this in Chicago a couple of years ago at Nordstrom downtown. Verve said it right about Gentlemen's Cologne. This sort of reminds me of Boucheron Pour Homme...maybe with a little more bite. Citrus with some woods...Traditional sums it up well.
    I'd sample before I purchased for sure.
    Gary

I have tried Keig. Harsh! But it dries down like Kouros.

Joining the party very late here but I just tried on Vetiver by this company. It smells quite nice but I'm not sure what they were charging for it...

I own and like Gentleman's Cologne (which is an Eau de parfum concentration) and here is what I said in my review:

Gentlemen's Cologne is meant to evoke the bracing stimulation of the Highland air. I think that it achieves that and the result is a wearable, traditional scent that has all of the classic masculine elements: citrus, lavender, sandalwood, cedar and musk. Very British, nothing to scare the horses, suitable for office wear. That may seem like faint praise and while this will never set the house on fire, it is a classy scent that I am happy to own. Just the thing to wear with a kilt!

Notes are:

Top note: Bergamot, Lemon & Lime.
    Middle note: Lavender & Sage
    Base note: Sandalwood, Cedar & Musk

The Vetiver stayed with me for a few hours (unusual for me as my skin eats scents and I didn't have a chance to put on unscented lotion beneath it) and smelled quite pleasant. I haven't played with a lot of vetiver scents though, so I'm not sure how this one compares. Kind of a nice bottle.... ;-)

Have only tried Gentleman's Cologne which I found to be a pleasant woody scent and which lasted pretty long
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.