Code of Conduct

Default CdG Calamus and Shiso- opinions needed

Guys,

I think I'm gonna get some more CdG stuff blind-at least one from the Incense series, possibly Dry Clean from the Synthetic, maybe Sequoia from the Reds- and I'm intrigued by Calamus and Shiso from the Leaves series.

From what I've read Calamus is very green like the branches of a sapling, and grassy. *It seems like a pretty unconventional and "artsy" kind of scent. *Does it even smell like a cologne, or does it come off like you were rolling around in the yard? *The only thing that bugs me is the price- $58 for a 1.7 ounce at LuckyScent. *It bugs me because there are alot in these series, and maybe if they were like $30 or $40 apiece that would be more manageable. *Still, if you have Calamus, tell me your thoughts on it. *What does it remind you of, and what do you think others think about you when you wear it?

LuckyScent does have Shiso on sale for $30. *I hear there is alot of cumin in it, and also it smells like a sushi restaurant, and might not be very wearable. *Do any of you like Shiso and find it to be good for wearing and worth $30?

It peeves me off that Comme des Garcons doesn't currently make their Series' available bundled as sets for a decent price.

Default Re: CdG Calamus and Shiso- opinions needed

Calamus smells grassy, green, milky - a bit like the white juice in dandelion stems. The top notes are quite sharp, but after a while it gets quite soft and mellow. It's for sure a very special fragrance, but I like it and usually earn positive comments when I wear it. Unfortunately its longevity is quite poor.
    You can't go wrong with Dry Clean - really a must-have. Sequoia is good, too (but I prefer Harissa). Never tried Shiso - but some people here did and many of them find it really scary...

If you know how the actual shiso-leaf smells like then you know the fragrance. 100% accurate capture of that green, slightly minty bitterish aroma. Love it with my sashimi, not on my skin.

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald
    Calamus smells grassy, green, milky - a bit like the white juice in dandelion stems. The top notes are quite sharp, but after a while it gets quite soft and mellow.
    Very good and accurate description! Calamus is my favourite of the Leaves Series, lovely true green scent.

But Shiso! :-X
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Calamus does smell exactly like breaking a dandelion stem between your fingers and then smelling the sap; instantaneously brought back childhood to me. Too bad it becomes VERY faint after just a matter of 10 minutes or so, so I didn't buy it; just not worth the $$$.

Sequoia and Rose are the best of the Reds IMHO ... Sequoia always reminds me of a sweeter Black Cashmere and Rose is a very unbuttoned, non-serious rose scent with a great raspberry note to it.
    ..."net", not "naut".

Thanks for your opinions guys!

I ordered Calamus, Dry Clean, Sequoia, and also Jaisalmer from the Incense series from LuckyScent. Also a bunch of samples too. I'm really looking forward to trying these. I've really been digging Harissa and Palisander lately, so i decided to try Sequoia.

I'm hoping i can use Dry Clean as a work scent. In my line of work (waiter) i have to be careful not to wear anything louder than a whisper. I just want something fresh and crisp, but not a full-blown cologne smell. Currently, I'm wearing Himalaya and OV as work scents, as they are light and clean. I've heard good stuff about Dry Clean, so it should work.

I had been planning on getting a couple of L'Artisans but I decided to get crazy with some Comme des Garcons instead. I'll definitely post my reviews when I get them!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy

I'm hoping i can use Dry Clean as a work scent. In my line of work (waiter) i have to be careful not to wear anything louder than a whisper. *I just want something fresh and crisp, but not a full-blown cologne smell.
    Indie, I was wondering if you've ever sampled Mark Birley for men. *I own Dry Clean and like it a lot ... but when I got my Mark Birley recently, I thought it was a much better, classier version of Dry Clean. *Granted I don't have the best nose, but I rarely use my Dry Clean now because, next to Birley, it smells a bit more synthetic and definitely projects more (which I don't like).

So if subtle is what you want, I would at least sample Mark Birley. *But if you do decide to go with Dry Clean ... light on the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1128425970/0#5 date=1128454412]

I'm hoping i can use Dry Clean as a work scent. In my line of work (waiter) i have to be careful not to wear anything louder than a whisper. *I just want something fresh and crisp, but not a full-blown cologne smell.
    So if subtle is what you want, I would at least sample Mark Birley. *But if you do decide to go with Dry Clean ... light on the trigger!
    [/quote]

I know what you mean about light on the trigger with the Synthetic Series. I have Skai and when I hit the button its like a super-soaker. i usually decant my work scents into vials and dab them on anyway, because its hard to control the application with a spray.

A tad late, but I must congratulate you on your decision on getting Calamus. I've been wearing it a lot lately since it almost makes me purr of joy when I wear it. I literally wanted to make love to my arm when I used it the first time.

The descriptions above has been spot on, so I won't add more to that.

Gee, I'd love to try Calamus. I have Shiso and Tea from the Leaves Series and while Tea is a great and unusual scent, I admit that Shiso is almost too strange for me. It's like the others described it. Mint, a bit lemon and some spice (cumin, coriander?). I do like a bit of cumin, for example in Kingdom or Eau d'Hermès and I don't think that there's too much of it in Shiso but there's something else that makes this scent smell strange. I wore it only once (but I retry it every once in a while) and it's also extremely weak. Ten minutes and it's gone.

But with Dry Clean you bought my favourite scent from the Synthetic Series. It was my first CdG scent and my first niche scent as well. And I still love it, it's like a perversion of a "clean" scent. It can't get any cleaner, can it?