Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fragrance TV commercials you remember?

Well, for a refreshing change of pace, let's talk about fragrance TV commercials and how we remember them (and I'm sure we all do).

Exhibit A (commercials we all know): Giorgio Armani's Acqua di Gio ad. This fragrance sells big for a reason: good marketing. Waves crashing onto the beach, crisp black-and-white imagery, and a very masculine image. No wonder it sells so well.

Exhibit B (commercials you kind of forget): The 2001/02 Mugler Cologne commercial. Anyone remember this? You know, the commercial with the infinite spaces, the beautiful music (Adiemus, sung by Miriam Stockley-the same song used in a short-lived mid-90s Delta Air Lines ad campaign), and the man and women standing side by side?

Exhibit C (commercials you hate): Calvin Klein's recent Eternity ad. Crummy music for a crummy scent. Need I say more?

Any other fragrance ad campaigns you remember (for either the guys or gals)?
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Default Re: Fragrance TV commercials you remember?

I remember Egoiste, women in Chanel gowns complaining about the Egoiste man that they want but cannot control, you know that French passionate thing.

and

Obsession, writhing half naked people burning up the screen and causing quite a bit of commotion back in its day.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

The original Obsession commercials in those stark white sets....the women pleading "help me" to different people...all reply back to her in strange esoteric sayings such as ..."I loved her but once she mastered obsession love was a childs game to her". Plus the pleading voice always at the end of the spots... "oh the smell of it"

What was that all about? I'm sure some of you are too young to remember those commercials

Let's see...hmmm. I *do remember those Obsession commercials! And also Canoe, Stetson ("Stetson for men, Stetson fits&quot...LOL. Also Elizabeth Taylor's Passion and White Diamonds, Cacharel's Anais Anais.

My favorites hands down were Hero cologne ("I need a Hero!!&quot, and the old Drakkar Noir commercials! *[smiley=smiley.gif]
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

The Obsession ads were a study in "80's' faux gravitas and instant camp. Meant seriously and signifying nothing (just like most of the 1980's), they were immediately spoofed by SNL.

Do you remember the Revlon's Charlie commercials with Bobby Short?

Now that was class....

And click here for the background music for the original Egoiste commercial. (Prokofiev's ballet Romeo and Juliet - March of the Knights)

Griff
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    The Obsession ads were a study in "80's' faux gravitas and instant camp. Meant seriously and signifying nothing (just like most of the 1980's), they were immediately spoofed by SNL.

Now that was class....

Griff
    But you have to admit, those Obsession ads sure were noticed by EVERYONE! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    [quote author=Griff link=1128305096/0#4 date=1128314932]The Obsession ads were a study in "80's' faux gravitas and instant camp. Meant seriously and signifying nothing (just like most of the 1980's), they were immediately spoofed by SNL.

Now that was class....

Griff
    But you have to admit, those Obsession ads sure were noticed by EVERYONE! Lol.
    [/quote]

Oh they were fascinating! We had never seen anything like them. They were very effective.
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    The original Obsession commercials in those stark white sets....the women pleading "help me" to different people...all reply back to her in strange esoteric sayings such as ..."I *loved her but once she mastered obsession love was a childs game to her". *Plus the pleading voice always at the end of the spots... "oh the smell of it" *

What was that all about? I'm sure some of you are too young to remember those commercials
    You're right, must've been the remarketing of the scent in the 90's...I dunno, my head is too full of crap to remember everything that actually matters like a Calvin Klein commercial.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

The Charlie campaign was great!
    I mostly remember the commercials that went into heavy rotation around Christmas:
    "He touched me" for Chantilly
    "I'm a woman. W.O.M.A.N!" for Enjoli
    "We're gonna have an Aviance Night"
    The girl on the horse for British Sterling.
    The whistling man for Old Spice.
    "Your Windsong stays on my mind"
    I'm even old enough to remember Deneuve resting her head on a bottle of Chanel No. 5.

Those were the days..... [smiley=cheesy.gif]

"Ca sent les pieds!"

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    I remember Egoiste, women in Chanel gowns complaining about the Egoiste man that they want but cannot control, you know that French passionate thing.
    It's curious, but that's the first one that came to my mind, with all those women screaming "Ego´ste!" and slamming windows.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately remember the smug NAKED guy prancing around in his living room for Lacoste PH all to well...
    The copywriting for the ad has to be one of the finest ever though - Style on Skin. Too bad the juice itself was such a mediocre affair.

MMM

Post Thanks / Like

Lord, I remember so many of these, with the Obsession commercials holding a special place in my adolescent heart, the Egoiste commercials having annoyed the crap out of me, and the Charlie commercials' music being strangely unforgettable.

I also remember Xia Xiang, The Liz Taylor commericals, Steson ("easy for you&quot, the man jumping around in the ocean for Cool Water, the old Vanderbilt commercials with the swans...

The best was Carole Buuquet (SP?) for Chanel! A far cry from that horrible Nicole Kidman commercial. But let's talk about how I really feel...LOL!

Kouros - a Le Mans Style racing car - 'The winning fragrance'.

Drakkar Noir - montage of bloke doing boxing training then taking out nice lady.

Antaeus - Adonis type pointlessly picks up oversized bottle and, er, puts it back down again.

Almost as annoying as the Egoiste advert was the one for Cacharel's LouLou - woman wandering around asking everyone if they were the titular female.

Umm....I liked the one for Armani Night because it had Strict Machine by Goldfrapp as a soundtrack. Oh, and the Mondino commercial for Gaultier Classique. I loved that.

Post Thanks / Like

Christia Dior's Fahrenheit ad in a desert,more than a decade ago.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Here are some commercials to look at. Click this link: *http://perso.wanadoo.fr/imagesdeparfums/en/index.htm * and then: "commercials"

I never saw the Jil Sander Background commercial before.

I'll run the risk of dating myself by saying that one of the first commercials for a fragrance I remember is Hai Karate.

The bookworm guy fighting of the beautiful women in the library with karate moves is etched in my mind forever.

For mens fragrances this launched a trend toward sensuality combined with masculinity and primal urges. After all it was the 60's .

Who can forget Gabrielle Chanel's Ritz room where Vanessa Paradis turned in a delicious black bird whistling in a golden cage while she swings on a trapeze bathing all around with COCO! What a style icon!

And then there was Candice Bergen with that bottle of scent stuck to the side of her head.
    Griff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smellitnow
    I'll run the risk of dating myself by saying that one of the first commercials for a fragrance I remember is Hai Karate.

The bookworm guy fighting of the beautiful women in the library with karate moves is etched in my mind forever.

For mens fragrances this launched a trend toward sensuality combined with masculinity and primal urges. After all it was the 60's .
    Actually, this is the first fragrance commercial I remember as well!! I always got a kick out of seeing this one on TV. [smiley=laugh.gif]
    David and Becca forever!!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you remember the Revlon's Charli commercials with Bobby Short?

Now that was class....
    Yes, I do remember! They also re-did that one later with Mel Torme.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy
    The Charlie campaign was great!
    I mostly remember the commercials that went into heavy rotation around Christmas:
    "He touched me" for Chantilly
    "I'm a woman. W.O.M.A.N!" for Enjoli
    "We're gonna have an Aviance Night"
    The girl on the horse for British Sterling.
    The whistling man for Old Spice.
    "Your Windsong stays on my mind"
    I'm even old enough to remember Deneuve resting her head on a bottle of Chanel No. 5.

Those were the days..... [smiley=cheesy.gif]
    Yep! I remember all of those "oldies but goodies" too!!

"Those were the days..." indeed! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

And then there was Candice Bergen with that bottle of scent stuck to the side of her head.
    The same one that did those horrid Sprint "10 cents a minute" Long Distance commercials (before the "Cell Phone Static" guy and their heavy promotion of cell phones)?
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

"All my men wear ___________________ , or they wear nothing at all."

a. British Sterling

b. English Leather

c. Old Spice

While we're on the subject of Old Spice, who can whistle the Old Spice jingle? The rugged handsome sea captain with a girl in every port.

And these commercials were long - 30 to 60 seconds. I've seen some of my uncle's pre-VHS tapes.

Post Thanks / Like

All my men wear ___________________ , or they wear nothing at all."

* * a. British Sterling

* * b. English Leather

* * c. Old Spice

b. English Leather of course!
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

"L'Air du Temps ...L'Air du Temps ...L'Air du Temps!"

I also vaguely recall from my youngest childhood the TV commercial for Windsong by Prince Matchabelli which, everytime we heard the word "matchabelli", my siblings and I would collapse in gales of laughter... "Prince Matchabelli" indeed... "Hey, you gotta match?" "Yea, my prince and your belly!"

Well, WE thought it was funny... back then...nevermind.

Griff
    Griff

Hey, I remember that Hai Karate ad, too! The inspiration for the Axe et al body spray ads. Anyone remember the Paco Rabanne ads from the 1980s......."Paco Rabanne, what's remembered is up to you."

"There's something about an Aqua Velva man"

"I can bring home the bacon
    ENJOLI
    Fry it up in a pan
    ENJOLI
    And never, ever let you
    forget
    you're
    a
    man
    Cause I'm a Wooooman
    ENJOLI!"

And of course who could forget SNL's "Canus" commercial... I think that's the hardest I ever laughed at that show.

Isaac

Speaking of commercials, here's an interesting article!

http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/tcom...p7/trevor.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    [quote author=iMaverick link=1128305096/0#1 date=1128306129]I remember Egoiste, women in Chanel gowns complaining about the Egoiste man that they want but cannot control, you know that French passionate thing.
    It's curious, but that's the first one that came to my mind, with all those women screaming "Ego´ste!" and slamming windows.[/quote]

ONe of my favorite commercials period. And also the first one to come to my mind. Also all the Brut commercials in the 70's

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only ones I really remember are recent "feminine" perfumes like SJP Lovely & Arden's Provocative Woman. They also played the Stetson Untamed one to DEATH.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I remember the LULU by Cacharel commercial, with some young woman saying "Lulu? C'est moi!" over the notes of the Gabriel Faure' "Pavane" (late Eighties).

A very popular catchphrase in Italy in the Seventies was "Quando faccio una cosa mi piace farla bene" ("when I do something I like to do it right&quot, which was spoken by the soccer world champion Pele' in a TV commercial for Brut Faberge'.

Also, the real pimpy TV ad for the awful Patrichs cologne. They guys at the agency nailed it when they picked Morris Albert's "Feelings" for its theme song.

Denim is still very popular in Italy I believe......back in July on Italian TV I saw an updated version of their classic "for a man who doesn't have to try too hard....." advert,...... let's just say there is a very nice lady exposing a fair amount of flesh.......just can't imagine that being shown in the UK or the USA!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I remember the Insense pour homme by Givenchy ads right around 1991 or when it first launched. It was bright and zany but didn't run very long.

Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless
    Denim is still very popular in Italy I believe......back in July on Italian TV I saw an updated version of their classic "for a man who doesn't have to try too hard....." advert,...... let's just say there is a very nice lady exposing a fair amount of flesh.......just can't imagine that being shown in the UK or the USA!!!!
    Yes, you're right. Denim is still popular and the Italian slogan is more like "for the man who never has to ask", which is terribly chauvinist and used to elicit big laughter when run in movie houses - way back when people still went out to see a movie... Thanks for mentioning the original catchphrase, I always wondered what it was like!