Code of Conduct

Default Anyone Know John Sterling?

I started a similar thread several months ago and it received very few responses, as this seems to be a pretty unknown fragrance. It's not listed in the directory, although a Googe search will easily lead you to it. It seems to sell for about $30. for a 1.7 and $50. for a 3.4.

The owner of my local perfume shop offered me a 3.4, wrapped in a faux leather pouch, for $30. several months ago. I took a whiff, and was intriqued but I had already spent a hundred bucks and decided to draw the line--for that day, anyway! Anyhoo he eventually came down to $20. and I bought it.

This is a quite unique product. The bottle is a striking cobal blue. The name "John Sterling" hangs on a faux leather tag (presumably) glued to the bottle. Sounds cheap but it doesn't look it.

The scent itself is quite hard to describe. It's "different" but not in the offbeat/weird way of, say, a Dzing!. It's different in that I have a very hard time comparing it to anything else. It's KINDA "fresh" but not in the current meaning of the word. It has some real depth to it and longetivity is decent. Every time I wear it I seem to discover something different, which is unusual for me in a cologne. I usually "get it" (though rarely can describe it) upon a first spray of a cologne, but this one really is kinda mysterious for me as it seems to reveal more every time I wear it (which is all of twice now). It seems complex to me and I suspect it has a fair number of notes.

I searched in vain for the notes in this one, hoping to give you guys an idea of what it's like...I'd love to see someone who knows this weigh in with his/her opinion and write-up.

If you're looking for an unusual, stand-out scent, this one may be worth exploring. I like it quite a bit.

Default Re: Anyone Know John Sterling?

IT IS HIGH, IT IS FAR, IT IS.................GOOONNNE.
    YANKEES WIN, TTTTHHHEEE YANKEES WIN.

That's the only John Sterling I know (NY Yankee fans in the Tri State area will know what I mean).

B.G.

I saw a bottle like what you described where the label hung on a tag, but it was by someone called John Mac Steed. There was a blue, green, and red version. They were 100 ml bottles selling for about $30 ea. and came in a fancy plaid box with a satin lining. Can't seem to find anything on his stuff either. Fancy packaging, but wondering if the juice was any good.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by busterb
    IT IS HIGH, IT IS FAR, IT IS.................GOOONNNE.
    YANKEES WIN, TTTTHHHEEE YANKEES WIN.

That's the only John Sterling I know (NY Yankee fans in the Tri State area will know what I mean).

B.G.

Absolutely the first thing that came to my mind Busterb!!!!! Especially since I was listening to Saturday's game on the radio!
    Cobalt blue bottles always sound interesting though... I'd love to sample the scent based on the name alone.

It's up, it's far......."See Ya".....!!!!

Eric

Funny you post this. I just bought a large bottle of the Eau de Parfume of John Sterling. It comes a nice hinged leather and silver case.

I remember this being launched back in 1989 in Filene's in Boston. The price tag was way over my budget back then. Just recently I spoted a bottle of the EDP and purchased it for a mear $20.00.

Well, I feel that I can now weigh in on this one. The juniper berry is strong, but it's not a sweet oriental kind of juniper frag, like Individuel by Mont Blanc. Instead, it is more "outdoorsy," though a little sweet. Other than the juniper, I'd say there is mild amber in the base, and some mild herbal element. There is also a "salad dressing" kind of thing, but it's too blended for me to be more specific. Longevity and sillage seem to be at least good. Anyone else have comments about this one?

I've heard it's an A-bomb.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Let the jokes begin again! LOL.