Code of Conduct

Default Seeking "every day" scent: suggestions please

* I don't know all the expressions used in scent descriptions, but I'm looking for an every-day scent, something unique, that's not so expensive I would have to mortgage my house to buy! (In other words, no Creed.) I want something non-floral, non-citrusy, and not-too-fresh or sweet, and NO vanilla. (Would this be considered "dry"?) I have tried Bulgari, which smells like tea bags, and it isn't bad, but it's boring (except for the newer Bulgari Aqua, which is "just okay&quot. Here's what I like: woods and spices, although the REALLY spicy scents are too strong (I really like Gucci Pour Homme (except for the vanilla: way too much), but I DON'T like Gucci Envy: way too much cinnamon. I also don't like anything that smells like sage, or juniper, or rum. But there's a common note in my favorite scents: pepper. I am definitely seeking something NON-floral, and masculine; maybe something that smells like sesame seeds, or pretzels, or trees. I like the smell of cedar, redwood, cypress, and fir (I even like pine, if not overdone like Pine-Sol), but Gucci Rush didn't do much for me. I will admit I like CK's Truth because it smells exactly like grass to me (as does 212), but it's a little too fresh for my taste. Soul by Curve for Men is different, but it dries down to Bora Bora, which I already have. I like peppery Spark Seduction for Men, and Burberry London (although it's a little fresh), but not for every day wear. Any suggestions?
    Updated Favorites:

Spicebomb * Viktor & Rolf

CK One Shock * Calvin Klein

Fields Of Rubus * Kerosene

Dark Kiss * Bath & Body Works

Midnight Pomegranate * Bath & Body Works

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Seeking "every day" scent: suggestions please

Have you tried Azzaro Pour Homme, Quorum, Antaeus, and D&G PH???

Try Escada Pour Homme or Safari by Ralph Lauren. Otherwise, Colors by Benetton is a good, cheap alternative for everyday wear and also Hermes Rocabar and Guerlain Heritage for a more refined collection.

Give Celine (not Dion) Pour Homme a try. Airy, dry, woody, spicy, uncomplicated. I would've recommended Poivre Samarcande, but that's $160 a bottle. Otherwise, Boss Elements, and Ferragamo PH.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Yes, I've tried Azzaro, Quorum, and D&G: I didn't like them: they seem too "sour" for me. But I haven't tried Antaeus yet. I haven't yet tried Escada either, but Safari is already one of my favorites. I like Heritage, but not for every day. Doesn't Rocobar have a lot of vanilla in it? I will have to try Antaeus, Escada, Celine, Boss Elements, and Ferragamo. Thanks for the info. *;D
    Updated Favorites:

Spicebomb * Viktor & Rolf

CK One Shock * Calvin Klein

Fields Of Rubus * Kerosene

Dark Kiss * Bath & Body Works

Midnight Pomegranate * Bath & Body Works

Yvan

I'd suggest:

--Spanish Leather by Truefitt & Hill: has a vaguely leathery scent, mixed with wood and a few spices, mainly pepper.
    --Givenchy Gentleman: manly, with some patchouli, but it doesn't smell floral, and it's slightly powdery. Also has cedar and leather notes. A classic.
    --Nino Cerruti pour Homme: green, resinous, slight wood and musk.
    --Cuiron by Helmut Lang: leather.
    --L'Eau du Gouverneur by Comptoir Sud Pacifique: musky, woody and some spices with a slightly tropical feel.

Maybe this one is too expensive, I don't really know, but Piper Nigrum from Lorenzo Villoresi which has nice notes of both pepper and woods. And I actually find it pretty close to Gucci PH (I have both on me as I write this) but not as vanillasweet and a bit mor peppery. I think you should try to sample it (I've seen decants on Ebay) if the real deal is too expensive.

And there, I think that was one of my first real recommendations here on Basenotes. Haven't felt I could add that much before, but here I feel confidence

Two I would recommend are Azzaro Visit, which is cedar, pepper, nutmeg and incense, and Guerlain Vetiver. Vetiver does have citrus topnotes, but I also get a strong pepper note from it, as well as vetiver, tobacco and wood. Both are very masculine and not sweet.

Cartier Declaration is another one worth checking out. It has citrus topnotes, but is very woody and masculine. If you like Truth, you will probably like Declaration.

I'd also suggest giving Bulgari PH/PH extreme another try if you have only sampled it once. I get a lot of pepper from it and hardly get the tea notes at all. It is pretty subtle though.

I love Antaeus, which others have suggested, but to me it has some strong floral notes. Platinum Egoiste is another Chanel worth trying as well.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Rykiel Homme.

Tommy Bahama Men is very peppery, with tobacco and wood notes.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Seconding Azzaro Visit.

Also consider

Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Guerlain Vetiver (especially if you can get a hold of the older stock in the dark green box--less lemon on the top note)
    Versace Man

What you need my friend is Lancome Miracle L'Aquatonic pour homme. Just purchased this one and it is one of the best I have ever smelled. Try it and then you'll buy it.

Blenheim Bouquet

If you can justify spending 55$ to $80 plus shipping, this is a peppery-pine scent that might be what you're looking for.