Code of Conduct
    Overcome By Fumes

Default BN SotD popularity survey 9/1-19

On a whim, I started listing what different people listed as their sotd this month. Little did I realize what a project this would be--there are hundreds of different fragrances listed. When I noticed today was a SSD and would skew my numbers, and that I was frying my brain keeping track, I decided to stop after 19 days. I have found the ones most listed though, for the specified time frame. There are a few disclaimers. Although I know most of the abbreviations, if I could not figure out what an abbreviation meant I didn't record it. It took me a while to realize that MPG Jardin du Nil is different from Hermes Jardin sur le Nil, and I may have miscounted those as a result. Some people may like to call Laguna Homme just Laguna or Rive Gauche pour Homme just Rive Gauche, but I recorded these as different scents. Similarly, I counted Forte and Extreme versions separately from the others usually. Okay, here come the numbers:

1. Green Irish Tweed (17) --this is even before today's SSD!!
    2. Original Vetiver (16)
    3. Himalaya (14) Another Creed!
    4. Mugler Cologne (11)
    5. Guerlain Vetiver (10)
    6. Dzing! (9)
    6. Cuiron (9)
    8. Jicky (8)

With 7 each: Polo Blue, Voleur des Roses, Imperial Millesime, L'Ombre dans L'Eau, Havana, Silver Mountain Water, M7.

Habit Rouge is listed at 6 but would be more if we add in one edp and 2 Legere/Light versions (would then tie for 6th place on the list.

Others with 6: Bulgari pour Homme Extreme, Caron pour un Homme, Passage d'Enfer, Jazz, Vintage Tabarome (there was also one new Tabarome listed if you want to add it), Opium pour Homme, L'Anarchiste, Live Jazz.

With 5: Kenzo pour Homme, Platinum Egoiste, Witness, Jardin sur Nil*, Bulgari Aqua, Armani Black Code, Subtil pour Homme, Geir, Blenheim Bouquet, L'Eau de L'Artisan, Allure Sport, Eau Sauvage, M7 Fresh, Bulgari pour Homme, Jaipur Homme, Visit, Magnetism, Mitsouko, Dolce & Gabanna pour Homme.

That's about all I can do for now. I was a bit surprised by some of the numbers. It was also interesting to see that if someone wore one fragrance for several days, how it would dramatically influence the numbers.

Have a nice weekend!

Colin

Blog Entries

Default Re: BN SotD popularity survey 9/1-19

How fun!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I love the numbers. MATHEMATICAL MIND

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    On a whim, I started listing what different people listed as their sotd this month. Little did I realize what a project this would be--there are hundreds of different fragrances listed.

Colin
    Colin, thanks for all your hard work. I found this quite interesting!

Very interesting!!! BRAVO!!!

HAHA THIS IS GREAT!!! Yesterday in the shower I thought about doing exactly this, and now I don't have to go through with all the trouble. My hangover from yesterday feels much lighter already ;D

I realized that collecting that info would be a good and accurate way of getting recommendations on successful perfumes. The polls fail to give accurate results when the ones voting not very often has smelled and tried everything on the lists. Or I presume it is that way at least, since I've voted in polls when some of the opitions has been unknown to me. I try not too though...

Good work, Colin, I guess this is indeed the most accurate way to know which are the most beloved scents among basenotes: not to analyze the results of the various polls but to focus on what we really wear. Of course, there's the drawback you already noticed: when one person uses the same fragance too often (which is my case with Dzing), the statistics may be biased, but anyway I still think your method is the best possible.
    Congratulations!
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

I would love to see the poll one day, have the ability to rate things in order of preference. In other words, I wish I could list 15 fragrances and see how people rate them in order of best to worst (1-15). It would be much better than making people type out their answer.

Just a thought ...