Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Allergic Reaction

My friend sprayed a lot of perfume on herself, and now she has an allergic reaction of a rash/redness. Apparently the redness is persistent. Is there a way to remedy the situation? Thanks.

Default Re: Allergic Reaction

Probably, she needs to see her family doctor or a dermatolgist. But if you think it's allergy to some ingredient in the fragrance, she would obviosuly need to wash it off completlely and statrt taking Benadryl 25-50mg q8hrs and Pepcid 20mg q12hrs (Pepcid is complementary to Benadryl, since after all it's a histamine blocker as well). She might need a short course of steroid (like Prednisone 40mg daily x 5 days) to suppress whatever immune reaction her body is having, but she would need a prescription for this anyway. And in the long run, it's important to find out what exactly she is allergic to and she might need to be referred to an allegist for this. Again, one way or another, she would need to see a physician, and I strongly recommend she will do so. I hope she will ge better soon.

VV

P.S. I happen to be a physician, but this is just a opinion as one of the basenote users.

One time several years ago, I asked for Polo Sport for X-mas, and my ex-girlfriend F*cked it all up and bought me Polo in the green bottle. It gave me a similar red- rash. It was really bad. I took it back for CKBe. And in the years since, i must admit, I've worn hundreds of different frags, and have never had a rash once since the Polo!
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    One time several years ago, I asked for Polo Sport for X-mas, and my ex-girlfriend F*cked it all up and bought me Polo in the green bottle. It gave me a similar red- rash. It was really bad. I took it back for CKBe. And in the years since, i must admit, I've worn hundreds of different frags, and have never had a rash once since the Polo!
    Did she become your ex because of this incident? If so, you're a true basenoter!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    One time several years ago, I asked for Polo Sport for X-mas, and my ex-girlfriend F*cked it all up and bought me Polo in the green bottle. *It gave me a similar red- rash. *It was really bad. *I took it back for CKBe. *And in the years since, i must admit, I've worn hundreds of different frags, and have never had a rash once since the Polo!
    Hey Indie,

Just curious, have your tried applying it to your shirt to see if it causes the same problem?

Post Thanks / Like

I get a slight itchy rash when I use Gucci Rush. I just spray it on my clothes and everything's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    I get a slight itchy rash when I use Gucci Rush. *I just spray it on my clothes and everything's fine.
    Thanks for sharing that Octo.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1128064787/0#2 date=1128072263]One time several years ago, I asked for Polo Sport for X-mas, and my ex-girlfriend F*cked it all up and bought me Polo in the green bottle. *It gave me a similar red- rash. *It was really bad. *I took it back for CKBe. *And in the years since, i must admit, I've worn hundreds of different frags, and have never had a rash once since the Polo!
    Hey Indie,

Just curious, have your tried applying it to your shirt to see if it causes the same problem?
    [/quote]
    nah, I don't like to apply my scents to fabric directly. Only the skin. I like the scent to radiate off my skin through my shirt. I hate the walk-through method, and when I watch my brother take one of my bottles off the shelf for a spritz before hitting the town, and he does the walk through...He gets a swift punch in the face!

What's the point of wearing Passage D'Enfer if you're just gonna do a walk-through?

grrrrrrrr........

And Wedge, in response to your question of why she became my "ex" girlfriend... It wasn't because she bought the wrong scent. It was because she got fat, among other things....
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

unfortunately I always get an itchy rash whenever I should apply MI, SMW and some other Creeds (also the new OS)....
    I had no problems with those scents until one day I put a bit too much on. All of a sudden my skin turned red and it began to itch heavily :-(

I consider myself a lucky man in that this phenomenon does NOT appear while wearing my all-time-favourite BdP :-))

M

P.S. As I can┤t wear several Creed, it preveals me from buying it. Good thing? Bad thing? Don┤t know :-) At least a financial remedy ...

Post Thanks / Like

I get a red itchy rash after applying vetiver. I just ignore it, it settles down after half an hour or so.
    I figure if I ignore it for long enough my system will become accustomed to the irritant / allergen present. No way I'm giving up my vetiver over a stupid rash!

Thankfully have never gotten any rash from applying any fragrance so far.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge View Post
    Did she become your ex because of this incident? If so, you're a true basenoter!
    This cracked me up wedge.....Hilarious!!!
    She needs to see Her Dr.
    Gary

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Allergic reactions can be very serious - the "rash" can go internally, your throat closes up, you can't breathe.... Certainly if you feel tightness in the throat its time to get to the nearest hospital emergency room right away. I speak from experience. Some allergic reactions can happen very rapidly and can be deadly.

Vibrant Violet's recommendations are spot-on for less serious reactions.

I have to test new fragrances very carefully, a little at a time. Be safe out there people

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Njtnjt View Post
    Allergic reactions can be very serious - the "rash" can go internally, your throat closes up, you can't breathe.... Certainly if you feel tightness in the throat its time to get to the nearest hospital emergency room right away. I speak from experience. Some allergic reactions can happen very rapidly and can be deadly.

I have to test new fragrances very carefully, a little at a time. Be safe out there people
    I guess I'd like to also add that some people could have a negative reaction from just smelling a perfume. My mom gets very severe asthma from certain perfumes, and she actually tells her patients, "Do not wear perfume to your appointment."

Interestingly enough, my brother and I have piqued her interest in fragrances, and now she wants to try Sycomore and some of the classics like L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko. I'll have to carefully test her response though. She's definitely an odd candidate for this hobby.
    Last edited by hobbes22; 13th September 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just hope this is a mistake on my part! Got a bottle of vetiver shower gel on the way, I really hope it doesn't do the same thing!
    Guess I should test it on a small patch of skin first.

It's so annoying when your favourite scent causes problems

Post Thanks / Like

I've had allergic reactions to C & S Cuba, and also to some Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo range. An AdP sales assistant told me it was probably because of the higher concentration of essential oils in their products.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm being stupid here, but I think if it were any kind of proper allergic reaction in my case, it would last longer than 20 mins before settling, and I would have headaches or nausea and not just a little rash.

I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago and I think it dried out my skin a lot. Infact some areas are still peeling, so while the areas rashing up arent visibly peeling, its entirely possible theyre just too dry. Ill moisturise some tonight and see if later it helps.

Im hoping though even if it is an allergic reaction, exposure over time should desensitize me. I'm just not willing to give up vetiver, it's too good!

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardBenton View Post
    Maybe I'm being stupid here, but I think if it were any kind of proper allergic reaction in my case, it would last longer than 20 mins before settling, and I would have headaches or nausea and not just a little rash.

I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago and I think it dried out my skin a lot. Infact some areas are still peeling, so while the areas rashing up arent visibly peeling, its entirely possible theyre just too dry. Ill moisturise some tonight and see if later it helps.

Im hoping though even if it is an allergic reaction, exposure over time should desensitize me. I'm just not willing to give up vetiver, it's too good!

Ed
    Do my knowledge, allergic reactions do not usually subside after 20 minutes untreated. Like you indicated, the alcohol might just be irritating your dry skin.
    Last edited by hobbes22; 13th September 2011 at 09:25 PM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no hard and fast rules for allergic reactions regarding time or severity of symptoms. If you have a reaction to a product then you are, to some degree, allergic. The only way to accurately gauge the sensitivity is to go to an allergist and be tested. I was injected with dozens of different pollens and allergens and then the surface reaction was measured and recorded when I was a teenager.

Most of the time our bodies deal with the allergens and move on with minimal fuss. And... sometime we end up in the ER. Most people who are prone to severe reactions know who they are. It usually starts in the early teen years. You eat something, get stung by a bee or experience seasonal allergic reactions to the changing of the season and find yourself sitting on the sidelines at the baseball game because you can't breath. Its just a bit scary as it can sometimes be unpredictable.

I have to test very small amounts of product for a week or two before I dare risk a full-on spray.

Cheers,

-Nick

Jeez...what's with all this digging up of old threads lately?

Post Thanks / Like

This is odd. The front of my wrist rashes up a little
    The back of my wrist (smooth part where the veins are lol) doesnt rash up no matter how many sprays I put on.
    Weird!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardBenton View Post
    This is odd. The front of my wrist rashes up a little
    The back of my wrist (smooth part where the veins are lol) doesnt rash up no matter how many sprays I put on.
    Weird!
    Yeah, I have a friend that can put it under her wrists with no problem, but her neck breaks out with some fragrances. Weird how certain areas are sensitive and others are not.

I got a rash from Burberry sport. Its a shame, I really did like the scent