Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Serge Lutens

Default Re: Serge Lutens

Ambre Sultan.. to start

I just want to express my love for this fragrance house. As you may or may not know, this house creates challenging scents. One would say that their frags are not the crowd-pleaser type of smell. But to me, their scents are very unique, hence making it so interesting and appealing to me. We all know that creating a scent doesn't just take one day to make. It is a work of art. And Serge Lutens perfumes are truly "scented art" in a bottle. Looking forward to owning more from their line.

This is indeed one of my favorite houses.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    This is indeed one of my favorite houses.
    Mine too.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Looking forward to owning more from their line.
    So what's on your shortlist for the next one? Mine includes Ambre Sultan, Filles en Aiguilles, El Attarine, Sarrasins, Jeux de Peau (I can't wait to try that last one).

Douce Amere (this might be the priority because from what I know, they're discontinuing this one)
    Fille en Aiguilles
    Five O'clock au Gigembre
    Rousse
    Chene
    Vetiver Oriental
    Cuir Mauresque

On a much later date:
    Gris Clair
    Chypre Rouge
    Cedre
    Serge Noire
    Borneo 1834 (maybe)
    MKK (maybe)

I haven't smelled the others. It looks like it's going to take a while to acquire all these?!?! =(
    Last edited by volley2; 25th January 2011 at 04:08 PM.

I'm about to embark on a fragrance shopping binge in NYC, and this thread is no help whatsoever in terms of helping me resist the irresistable. The siren call of the SL counter at Barney's. . . I am helplessly drawn in. . .

Big fan of Chergui myself. Wearing Ambre Sultan right now. And lately I've been enjoying Daim Blond on very cold and clear winter days. Next on my list: another warm, sweet, spicy lutens. Five o'clock au Gingembre is on the short list. Fumerie Turque. . . mmmmmm, yesssss. . .

@mrcologneguy: Tell us what happens when you go to Barney's.

which scents of this house are the more masculine and wearable throughout the year?

thanks

Cuir Mauresque is excellent, and is the only Lutens fragrance that I own.

Chčne.

Another for Chene.

AromiErotici

Chene and Borneo are the only 2 ( so far ) I find good fragrances. I may try and score a bottle of Chene since it smells like no other woody I own.

Such a complicated question. So many of them are great for their own unique qualities, so it's hard to say which is the better.

I still yearn for a bottle of Iris Silver Mist.

I don't feel there really is a ''best'' Serge Lutens; they stand out in different categories. Iris Silver Mist, Rose de Nuit, and Tubereuse Criminelle are all highlights in my opinion, but they're all good in very different ways and in very different styles.

Just yesterday I had a nice PM exchange about Serge, and I'll recap something I said there: for those just exploring, the export range, non-weird, not floral ones I'd recommend are Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Chene, Fille En Aiguilles, and Borneo 1834.

The only SL fragrance I've tried that I didn't strongly consider shelling out for on first sniff was Encens et Lavande. I want to make sure I am getting something that I'll wear and that fills a niche in my wardrobe before committing that much money to a bottle, so I've held off buying the rest of them until I am sure. So far have tried Chergui, Fumerie Turque, Borneo 1834, Muscs Kublai Khan and the aforementioned Encens. I can't say which one I like better out of those, they're all beautiful and different, and there's no objective, quantitative way of determining "best" so these sorts of questions are kind of silly. However, you couldn't go wrong with any of the above.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

I need to get a sample of Tubereuse Criminelle. Almost every review of it leads me to be intrigued. With all the disappointing reviews of the Vitriol, I'm afraid I might hold off on that one for now.

MKK & Chene

I own quite a few now. My top five, after much concerted sniffage (in no particular order)

Borneo
    Fumerie Turque
    Fille en Aguilles
    Santal de Mysore
    Serge Noire

They are royalty because they are A; unique B; exceptionally balanced C; exhibit a high degree of taste, artistic discernment and bravery and D; are technically excellent in every respect. Serge Noire, Borneo and Fumerie just gobsmack me with their artistry- I like to think of myself as creative but they humble me and I am down with that.

Arabie only just falls short of the gold standard because she is such a stinky slapper (but in the best possible way) and I think the hairspray note in opening could have been handled better. I forgive it because it supports the otherwise pure gluttony + exotic awesomeness so well. It really nails that eastern stewed fruit thing. The sexiest pilau ever.

Fleurs d'O is strident, demanding, beguiling, sometimes almost repulsive, winding around your neck like a lustrous constrictor. Everything a citrus scent just shouldn't be, but it's so beautiful. Serge knocked the fey right out of that shit.

Jeux de P is the skin of someone you're dying to have sex with + the blackened corner of a heavy fruit loaf as it is knocked out of the tin. Caramelized, vapourized allure on two levels; simple, unsubtle, successful.

Chergui is the hot breath of the desert shoving you on your arse; dry grass, dead trees full of wild bees, irisy powder, nameless syrups and a dozen other mysterious players. It's far too much, even more than Arabie, an enormous shrieking drag queen pushing past the bouncers, but then it manages spectral sophistication after an hour or two, a very strange achievement.

Ambre Sultan- the queen of ambers. Belongs with the top 5 really but for it's simplicity. Golden, immense, almost airless. Justifiably beloved.

MKK- delightful, don't be afraid of it, it's a little princess really, not butch in the least. I was expecting a sweaty warlord mounted on a giant civet but I get pretty pink fur, honeycomb and powdered cleavage more than anything.

Rahat Loukoum - Im flipping off a lot of haters when I say this but it IS wonderful. Broken cherry stones and distant marzipan and rosewater and expensive lipstick that you've kissed off someone else. Naughty and spankable.

Five o'clock A G- relatively new to me but obviously delightful, powdered ginger morphing into tea buns and cinnamon in a shaker and something delicious just coming out of a neighbour's oven along with something cool and enduring, perhaps fresh slices of root ginger.

A La Nuit- Fucking gorgeous jasmine. That is all.

Datura Noir- Another hater fave but when you ignore the hysteria and just smell the darn stuff, it's undeniably beautiful. At once a reconstruction of the very difficult smell of white brughmansia, like a mosaic you have to stand back from to see the whole, and a walk through an equatorial garden at night. Slather it on.

That's all I can think of for now. I've tried a little over half the line; none are horrible, all are quality, and it's mostly a matter of personal pref, which is something any house should be proud of. I've yet to experience a SL scrubber; only Tubereuse C has gotten anywhere near that dubious distinction.
    Last edited by kellyjelly; 14th November 2012 at 03:21 AM.

Too broad to select 1 - Serge Lutens has many worth buying - Cedre, Santal de Mysore, Cuir Mauresque, Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Arabie, ambre Sultan, Borneo 1834, MKK and others - I own all these and many more; its tough to pick 1 - better for you to select a particular note - say tobacco / leather / musc / gourmand / floral etc before u start selecting this parfum or any particular niche house that offers this many good parfums...
    If you want a pick w/o checking out the notes, I'll go with either Chergui or MKK - these 2 are probably their best sellers. I would strongly suggest against a blind buy for this line, as they are complex and just buying 1 based on reviews may not work for u...