Code of Conduct

Thread: Caron?

Default Caron?

I'm about to buy my 1st (and possibly only) Caron. I've smelled L'Anarchiste, and I like it a lot, but I've never smelled The Third Man and Yatagan, so those would be blind purchases. If you were going to recommend one of these as essential, which would it be?

FWIW, I'm very open-minded; I enjoy both Kouros and AdG.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Default Re: Caron?

Out of those I´d go with 3rd Man cause it´s the most versatile. Yatagan is too hardcore for me and I find L'Anarchiste too weird for wearing.
    But have you tried Pour un Homme, Royal Bain or the excellent but rather unknown Eaux de Caron Pure? All class acts and less super-macho than your contenders.

MMM

3rd Man all the way!!!!
    Gary

Stick with L'Anarchiste since you know you like it. As for myself, always ended up getting Carons blind and none have lived up to the initial amazement of L'Anarchiste, leaving me gun-shyed from trying 3rd Man. I find PuH initially interesting but the drydown seems all tonka to me. Too sweetly powdery and not my bag. Yatagan is more appealing but not IMO near as much so as L'A. I could have stopped right there and considered myself ahead of the game.

francois

My vote would have been for PUH, but from the three listed, I prefer Le 3e homme. (now called "Le numéro 3" I think)

I cannot commit. This is like trying to choose between an arm, leg or nose.

Griff
    Griff

Since you know L'Anarchiste already and like it, I'd plan on getting it some day. That's enough about that one.

But between a blind purchase of either Third Man or Yatagan, I'd say the conservative option is Third Man. You're more likely to like it and find it works in more situations. If you want to walk blindly along the edge, with the risk of cliffs, get Yatagan. Risky, but the smell-landscape is so very beautiful if it turns out to be your thing.

Safe blind bet=Third Man.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'd also take the third man...Think l'Anarchiste is discontinued..

Quote Originally Posted by renzo
    I'd also take the third man...Think l'Anarchiste is discontinued..
    Hi Renzo,

It was for sale at the Caron boutique on Madison in NYC as of this past June...and it is still listed on the Caron website

http://www.parfumscaron.com/UK/perfu...narchiste.html

Griff
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    I cannot commit. This is like trying to choose between an arm, leg or nose.

Griff
    Surely the nose wins?!

If you're looking for the more interesting scent, I say go with Yatagan. Unrepentingly masculine and powerful. A lot like the base/leathery notes in Aramis or Parfums de Nicolai - New York. I think it is the castoreum.

I find L'Anarchiste overall to be the best mix of wearability and an interesting in terms of scent. A spicy cocktail extremely well suited for the cooler fall weather.

Quite frankly, I found 3e Homme to be boring and flat, albeit smooth. Definitely wearable. I traded mine away.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes
    [quote author=Griff link=1127826518/0#5 date=1127837315]I cannot commit. This is like trying to choose between an arm, leg or nose.

Griff
    Surely the nose wins?![/quote]

Yes it does. By a nose.

It was a loaded rhetorical question: the most fun kind!

Griff
    Griff

Wow! I was expecting L'Anarchiste to win the most votes. Thx a million for participating! I'm lucky enough to get samples of them after all, so I won't have to buy blind. That said, I'm looking forward to smelling 3rd Man now that you've given it such a high recommendation. And Yatagan is VERY intriguing!
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Yvan

I voted for Third Man, and I think you'll like your sample. An amazing scent--how do I describe it?--smooth, cloudlike, with wood and musk notes, a bit floral and fruity, a bit sweet, with some vanillic notes. They say there's patchouli in there, and I can see how that might add to its composition. Poetic, romantic and a bit mysterious, slightly gothic yet contemporary.

L'Anarchiste didn't work for me...there was too much metallic orange and mint for my taste. And so far, I haven't been interested in trying Yatagan, though I think I remember sniffing the top of a tester once; perhaps one day I'll go back and sample it.