Code of Conduct

Default Going back to the mall, B*Men?

I was thinking of getting one of the folowing:

B*Men
    Tsar

Does anyone feel that B*Men is better than my Antaeus? I have really gotten to love my Antaeus and B*Men seems like a spicy autumn and winter scent. Is there any other leather, spicy, scent I should look out for at macys? I am really considering the BMen but I hear the spray mechanism is quite sluggish? How would anyone rate BMen to Antaeus?

Default Re: Going back to the mall, B*Men?

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    Does anyone feel that B*Men is better than my Antaeus?
    Not me. B*Men is alright, but Antaeus is a fantasic well made, and on me (and apparently no one else) a subtle scent. I love the harshness. Personally, I don't think there is a comparison. I do enjoy B*Men's subtle sequoia note, and prefer B*Men to A*Men... my skin destroys A*Men almost on contact.

(My RNA must be producing patchouli-eating enzymes because Kouros doesn't really last that long on me either. :-?)

Is there any other leather, spicy, scent I should look out for at macys?
    Perhaps Magnetism for Men? Fahrenheit? I'm a fan of Dunhill for Men (1934) but you probably won't find it other than on the net. John Varvatos isn't bad.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Is there any other leather, spicy, scent I should look out for at macys?
    Yes, my SOTD, Shiseido Basala (if it's available). It reminds me of Antaeus, but it's not that powerful at first. But the drydown is fantastic. Subtle, warm and uplifting.

I don't think that B*Men is better than Antaeus, they are just too different. There are no leather notes in B*Men and Antaeus has no fruity topnotes like B*Men.
    Antaeus is one of the timeless classics and B*Men is an unusual woody scent with classic ingredients like Vetiver. They're both fantastic but I wouldn't compare them to each other.
    And yes, the spray mechanism of the B*Men rubber bottle is just bad. If you're willing to spend the money, go for the metal bottle. Looks better, feels better, sprays better.

Now, Tsar. I smelled it, liked it, bought it but haven't worn it very often since. Maybe it's not suitable for the summer. I'll have to try it again when the weather gets colder. It's a good one, for sure. Green, clean, a little sweet and simply "classic". Perhaps it's not the right scent for me...

I really can't see how B*men could be related to Antaeus. They are completely different scents.

B*men is an interesting frag though. I find a lot of A*men elements running through it but at the same time they're different. A*men evokes more of a warm & bassy mood whereas B*men gives me a feeling of coldness. I haven't been able to convince myself to buy B*men yet because I think of it as "A*men Sport".

I'm not a fan. But if you like it, you might wish to try Gucci Rush or Live Jazz, bot h of which I thought were similar.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I really can't see how B*men could be related to Antaeus. They are completely different scents.

B*men is an interesting frag though. I find a lot of A*men elements running through it but at the same time they're different. A*men evokes more of a warm & bassy mood whereas B*men gives me a feeling of coldness. I haven't been able to convince myself to buy B*men yet because I think of it as "A*men Sport".
    I would like Amen if it didnt have the "scallop" note. This isn't actually a scallop (at least I'm assuming....), rather it's probably a distasteful accord of tar, patchouli and burnt wood. But it comes across smelling slightly fishy to me, kindof like King Tao's Scallops or whatever that dish is called.

Bmen has even more of this scallop feeling, but at the same time it has these very unconventional spices that I really like.

I enjoy wearing both Amen and Bmen but only about once every blue moon. If I had to pick one, I honestly don't know which one I would choose.

Interesting. The thing that makes me feel slightly nauesous with A*men is a sort of orangey note in with the chocolate/coffee/vanilla notes which I don't think sits very well with them.

It's like a poor remake/rendition of the original A*Men :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    It's like a poor remake/rendition of the original A*Men :-/
    you know, if it were by any other house, Bmen would have come first and Amen would have come 5 years later as a cheap remake similar to the "summer" versions and the "eau fraiche" versions of many popular fragrances. I think that despite its controversy, Amen would be more well liked amongst the general population if everyone had to choose. It has many familiar and popular notes like chocolate, caramel, that "cotton candy" accord, etc...that Bmen lacks. I think this is somewhat analogous to CKOne or Eternity adding citrus, summery coconut, etc...things that almost everyone likes.

It's almost like Amen compounds on Bmen, and not the other way around.

ikkitosennomusha, you wont do any better than Antaeus IMO, but I think both Bmen and Tsar are fine choices! Bmen is ok, but I'd think its a choice where one could get bored of it rather easily. Tsar on the other hand, stay away from that 'eau de cologne' version they have out, doesn't smell anything like Tsar, the new version is ok but not great - if you can get your hands on the old version in the opaque green bottle, NAB IT! Dries down amazingly well and rampant compliments; more of a business/work scent IMO.