Code of Conduct

Thread: Tabac Original

Default Tabac Original

Here I go again...

I wonder why this scent is called an 'old people's frag' ?? It has survived many of the moderns scents though and is also a classic... It sure do reminds me of my dad, but you can say that also from a lot of other frags who are at least 20 years old... And I know that their are girls who love it...

A scent that still stands after 46 years can't be that bad, isn't it ?
    What bothers me is the 'old peoples frag'...

Suggestions please guys ?

Cheers, Renz

Default Re: Tabac Original

It's indeed not a bad scent at all but I think the lable 'old people's frag' comes from the fact that it's marketed for the masses and that it's very affordable. I can imagine that some 40 years ago, men were not that busy with perfume and therefore this 'popular' and budget-friendly option was a bomb (the same goes for Old Spice and to a lesser extent Brut). And I can imagine that, being not that fragrance-minded, they just kept using this for the next couple of decades.
    These days, men are becoming more aware of the joy of perfume and I get the feeling that it's not considered 'cool' to like Old Spice, Tabac or Brut, just because it's extremely mainstream, cheaper and ... stuff that grandpa's used to use (and still do).

A pity because I too like Tabac and especially Brut :-)

hmm..that sounds acceptable - and special the point of being not-fragrance minded, one keeps on using it over decades.
    Another scent that corresponds well in this "genre" is Azzaro ph, IMO..

And within 30 years, the same may be true for Aqua Di Gio :-)

Quote Originally Posted by renzo
    Here I go again...

I wonder why this scent is called an 'old people's frag' ?? It has survived many of the moderns scents though and is also a classic... It sure do reminds me of my dad, but you can say that also from a lot of other frags who are at least 20 years old... And I know that their are girls who love it...

A scent that still stands after 46 years can't be that bad, isn't it ?
    What bothers me is the 'old peoples frag'...

Suggestions please guys ?

Cheers, Renz

If you read Basenotes often enough, I think you'll find that any fragrance over about 20 years old is highly susceptible to being called an "old man's fragrance". I've learnt to simply ignore such comments. To me, they make as much sense as comparing Bach to Britney Spears, and then dismissing Bach as "old man's music". The comments really say more about the person making them than the fragrance itself. Great fragrances are pretty much timeless (which explains why perfumes like Acqua di Parma, or 4711, are still going strong, sometimes after hundreds of years).

Well said Verve..

I declair hereby this tread closed
    [img][/img]

Mäurer & Wirtz make a line of Tabac products, some of which I own and love

Tabac Original
    Tabac Sport
    Tabac Extreme
    Tabac Man
    Culture by Tabac
    Marrakech Tales (sadly discontinued and apparently now replaced by the unfortunately-named "fishbone" line...)

There are more that I have not yet added to the collection.

Tabac Sport is my hands-down favorite "fresh sporty" fragrance. Try it! Guess where you can buy it for cheap?

Griff
    Griff

ok Griff,
    gonna try the shops for Tabac Fresh Sporty...
    Tryed yesterday Tabac Original Eau de toilette..smells different from the after shave and the eau de cologne..guess I must try all of them..

Note : I had on the other hand the new Polo Black...and I liked Tabac more ...

I have only tried the Tabac Original in aftershave, but it is at least EDC strength and I get good duration. Very old school, it needs to calm down a bit after application before I am ready to present myself to the public. Great for casual days for the spring and fall; I find it less appealing in the dead of a hot and humid summer. And, yes, I prefer it to many of the new and considerably more expensive releases.

Carnation and musk, classic combo. I have a Tabac Original hair tonic that is very refreshing.

yes Levente,

I've noticed it too, it needs indeed a bit of calm down..the first, like 30, minutes, it smelled rather unpleasant, but after a while....

and MonkeyManMatt, I like a brand with a whole scale of products...can"t say that of many new ones... well, that is, mostly in the beginning they do, but after a while, its only the EDT and after shave that remain...