Code of Conduct

Default Estee Lauder's Private Collection

I just got back from macys where i tried this. I have a very hard time believing this is for women. I dont understand how Kingdom failed and yet a scent like Private Collection has a big following and gets rave reviews. A lot of women said Kingdom is far to masculine, but private collection isnt????? Private collection, to me anyway, smells even more masculine that Kingdom. Very perplexing
    Awesomeguy

Default Re: Estee Lauder's Private Collection

Waaauuuuvvvvvwwwwwwww................had forgotten all about it. Ohhhh how I used to love girls/women wearing this scent.

Never thought of it as a masculine scent but would love to wear it............don't think I dare though. It is simply too easy to recognize.

Mic.

Possibly the perception of what is or isn't feasible for a man to wear has been altered a lot recently. Private Collection is something I would wear, but in no way does it strike me as orthodoxically 'masculine'.

When I say 'masculine' I don't mean the scent gender. Scents have obviously no gender. I mean the gender target certain notes are traditionally directed towards.

Great scent.

I also posted this on the women's board.

I've tested Private Collection a few times and like it a lot--very green. Another Estee Lauder women's fragrance I like is Knowing. I could easily wear either one.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

youth dew is my fav

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    youth dew is my fav
    OMG! That scent packs a punch! Smells like Opium (women's) on steroids! My mother used to wear it before she went gaga for White Linen. Youth Dew seemed like it had a built in force field and I couldn't get within 2 feet of my mother because of it's sillage!

I knew I had a passion for scent when I set my mother in the right direction and got her a bottle of Oscar de la Renta EdT for her birthday. I knew I had to get it for her when I smelled a scented card that came in the mail. It was an even bigger trip when practically every aunt I knew suddenly started wearing it too.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    [quote author=Ric link=1127498693/0#4 date=1127526569]youth dew is my fav
    OMG! * That scent packs a punch! *Smells like Opium (women's) on steroids! *My mother used to wear it before she went gaga for White Linen. *Youth Dew seemed like it had a built in force field and I couldn't get within 2 feet of my mother because of it's sillage!

I knew I had a passion for scent when I set my mother in the right direction and got her a bottle of Oscar de la Renta EdT for her birthday. *I knew I had to get it for her when I smelled a scented card that came in the mail. *It was an even bigger trip when practically every aunt I knew suddenly started wearing it too.[/quote]

LOL!
    [smiley=grin.gif]

If Youth Dew smells like Women's Opium on steroids i definitely have to try it! Thanks for sharing the funny anecdote.

Cheers!

Wearing Private Collection today on my arm after maybe two years of not trying it. It seems a heck of a lot stronger than what it was two years ago. I remember reading somewhere that Estee Lauder might have re tweaked it . Whatever the case is it has really good projection going on two hours already. I'll wait and see what another two hours brings.

Can a guy do this ? IMO Yes and No. You would have to play it off as a formal dress scent like a masculine chypre. Although masculine you can't deny the softer/feminine aspects of it. I wouldn't feel comfortable going out right after spraying it but you might convince me to do it after 30 minutes. A crisp dress shirt with jeans and loafers ...or a blazer would be the way to do it. LIGHT on the trigger 2 spray tops and light ones...this is coming from me !

If it works for you IMO it is a steal for the price. Will report back in a few hours once it dries down even more.

Clinque Aromatics Elixir or Private Collection more masculine ?
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 27th June 2014 at 03:52 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I think PC is more 'masculine' because it's less intensely floral. But that's just me. Both of them are pretty darned butch.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Going on the 3rd hour now. The scent has calmed down considerably and is mainly a skin scent but persistent with gentle wafts of perfume peeking through now and then.

If you don't mind re spraying every few hours it's a great deal for the right person.

I just picked up an old bottle of this one, but have yet to try it, so I'll update when I do.

Does it smell mature?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I just picked up an old bottle of this one, but have yet to try it, so I'll update when I do.
    Please do. I'd love your input on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Does it smell mature?
    It's one of those butch middle aged women in suits fragrances but don't let that scare you It's doable but don't blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    It's one of those butch middle aged women in suits fragrances but don't let that scare you It's doable but don't blind buy.
    Thanks. I wear woman's scents from time to time but am a bit averse to scents with prominent oakmoss.

I have the recent version. Powerful, businesslike, assertively green - to me it's more green than floral. And I think green scents are perfect for men as well. Besides, with the drift of current feminines towards syrupy pink concoction, this will smell virile no matter what. Sadly, the drift appears to have happened within Estee Lauder as well. I don't think the Aerin collection could in any way be defined as butch.

As for which one is more masculine btw Aromatics Elixir and Private Collection, hard to say - because both are. AE is, in practice, masculine too, since Aramis 900 is a clear copy.

Now, how about the virility of other old EL classics like White Linen, Knowing, or even Youth Dew? A definite yes on my part.

cacio

I sampled it today but also did some others so there may have been a bit of "cross contamination." Anyway, the drydown is very dry, with that "hairspray"/woody quality common in older "feminine" scents. It's also green, and the florals are obvious but dominated by the dry, woody element. It's worth a regular wearing but at this point I probably couldn't say no to a trade if I got a good offer, because it doesn't seem special enough to worry about losing.

Private Collection (E.Lauder) and Aromatics Elixir (Clinique) occupy similar spaces in my opinion, although they are quite different in terms of smell. They are old style chypres of excellent quality - which is why they have been around for decades. AE is more woody while PC seems more floral, thus I would define AE as a bit more masculine than PC. Tested side by side PC is softer, greener and more floral on my skin. They both ooze quality and is well worth having in a perfume collection for men, as well as for women.
    * Current Favourites *
    Amouage: Lyric Man & Essenza di Colonia Acqua di Parma
    Serge Lutens: Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit

Wearing AE today after stopping by Macy's. Extremely subdued soap/mossy with a hint of golden green if that makes sense. On my skin it has zero development and stays linear throughout the wearing.

I am going on two hours now.

While both AE and PC share some similarities the current PC is a much better quality juice. AE is much more masculine IMO but it is not worth owning due to the low quality.

Subdued and soap are not usual characterizations of AE. It's a medicinal-patch powerhouse. Reformulation, or you picked up the wrong bottle?

cacio

I've never liked AE, and I never thought of it as "masculine" either. I can understand it being viewed as not especially feminine, but to me it's kind of a messy, unpleasant floral. I now have some vintage AE, which I wouldn't mind selling or swapping, but PC is more interesting to me, perhaps because the "hairspray" dry/woody quality is the kind of thing I might come to enjoy. My major "problem" now is that I have such a large rotation that I don't want to wait a few years to figure it out, and so if I get a good offer I'd likely take it and not think twice about whether PC was for me. I have a bunch of other "feminine chypres" of the 70s/80s that I like so I don't think "seller's remorse" would occur.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Subdued and soap are not usual characterizations of AE. It's a medicinal-patch powerhouse. Reformulation, or you picked up the wrong bottle?

cacio
    Whatever they had at the Clinique counter. I would assume reformulation.