Code of Conduct

Default The Most OVERrated Fragrance You tried..

What was the fragrance that you were so hyped to smell and finally when you sampled it you were like "What **** is this?" For me it was Platinum Egoiste, nearly 95% of all reviews recommended I was expecting a master piece likes of GiT,Bvlgari PH..ect so when i finaly tried it, I really did not like it much it at all, IMPO it smells like a womens perfume and drys down to something sweet and nauseating and your nose gets use to it far to quick after 10mins i could not smell it but others could.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Default Re: The Most OVERrated Fragrance You tried..

By far, it has to be YSL Kouros.

Yeah, I heard great things about the stuff, but, on me, it was a poopy, poorly disinfected public restroom.

Honorable mentions: Guerlain Vetiver and Givenchy Pi.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

*Eau Sauvage* , In my modest opinion this fragance is very old-fashonied and smell like cheap lacquer for old ladies.

And of course the Extreme version is the most horrible i smel,vomitive [smiley=tongue.gif] [smiley=tongue.gif]

PD:My excuses for the legion fans of Eau Sauvage [smiley=rolleyes.gif] [smiley=rolleyes.gif]
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Kingdom, it smells like the ghetto...
    Let your nose be your pilot

Silver Mountain Water ! (Just a fresh sour scent, nothing special, heavy on the reeky creed note)

Guerlain Vetiver, Sorry Chris I tried to like this and although I like the top few notes, I cannot stand the peppery middle at all gets rancid on me.

Cuiron ( I thougt this would be leather heaven but despite being a nice scent, nothing incredible)

Mrs.Quack-Quack

All the Creeds, esp. Green Irish Tweed, the Vetivers and Himalaya. They all suck.

Sorry, guys.

I'd have to say SMW too. And Sud Est. (See swap list if I've offended.)

Guerlain Vetiver. I admit its evolution is quite impressive, but it's one of the few scents where I hate the basenotes more than I do the topnotes.

SMW. When I first sampled this, the topnotes smelled just like rubbing alcohol. I waited for the drydown but it just evaporated to nothing. I know bad bottles of Creed have been controversial in the past so I'm not sure what this is really supposed to smell like.

Annick Goutal scents. They don't stand out to me. Mandragore is the only one that I find special, but it doesn't last.

GIT. Good but not extraordinary. It's a scent that I could live without. Many would disagree but I still find it very similar to Cool Water but less sweet and synthetic.

YSL Kouros...I just don't like it. I'm also probably allergic to it since it literally made me vomit.

Himalaya. While I did initially like this scent, I think it's not worth the money. It doesn't last on me. For some reason, on my skin Kenneth Cole Reaction has the same drydown as Himalaya if not better.

*Note: These are only MY opinions. One man's trash could be another man's treasure and vice versa.

Even though we had some good comments in a previous threads about this "overrated" deal, I can safely say that the one I was most let down by after reading so much praise was Silver Mountain Water and possibly GIT too. I do love Himalaya though!

But seeing Cuiron in this thread almost makes me violent! >

The Creeds previously mentioned and D&G Pour Homme......zzzzzzz

Always a matter of opinion ... but IMHO

Creed Himalaya
    Creed SMW
    Creed GIT
    Voleur de Roses
    ANYTHING Bond No. 9

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Voleur de Roses
    I'll 2nd that actually, even though I like it a LOT. A very nice scent, but not at all as outrageously weird as some claim it is. Not to my nose...

Michael Kors for Men
    Gucci Envy for men
    Creed Himalaya
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

GIT and SMW are not bad by any means but they don't hold a candle to Himalaya.

However--

1. *Eau Savage, smells like an aromatic basil tea---good on some women, *though. Pity they didn't have 'unisex' when it first came out.

2. *four of the Dyptique's--mercifully forgotten their names--smelled like an eau savage base with different herbal/ electro shock mondo bizarro notes.

3. *Memorie D'Homme by Nina Ricci---should be renamed Memorie D' Grapefruit.

4. *Sculpture by Nikos---once the top notes die down, you're sailing on a sea of sugar, not a bad 'youth scent' I guess--like Perry Ellis 360 red, *Ferrari black, *etc.

5. Le Male---by JPG, synthetic and mediocre but the homoerotic bolttle design has worked advertising wonders.

6. *BANDIT by Robert Piquet--- why anyone, man or woman, gay or straight would praise this atrocity is incomprehensible, esp as there are many fine leather scents. Made during the occupation in Paris. Perhaps RP hoped that as they were oh, very heavy into shiny boots, *the Germans would buy it.

Need I mention Quorum?
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    [quote author=ziffy321 link=1127332607/0#10 date=1127340964]Voleur de Roses
    I'll 2nd that actually, even though I like it a LOT. A very nice scent, but not at all as outrageously weird as some claim it is. Not to my nose...
    [/quote]

That's SO weird - I was not expecting to like this at all and I love it. I've had like opposite reactinos of everyone in this thread thus far...

I was not expecting to like SMW or MI but thinking I would love GIT and BDP. GIT is OK, I can't stand BDP. Way too pungent and musky. I'm ambivalent about MI. SMW, however, is likely my favorite fragrance.

I thought I would love Michael Kors and I liked it but was not passionate for it. People say it reeks of patchouli, I get very little.

I was expecting to love Passage d'Enfer and Mechant Loup. I liked Mechant Loup but wouldn't buy it, and I could care less about Passage d'Enfer. A short lived powdery floral.

Lots of stuff I LIKE has been mentioned:

Guerlain Vetiver
    D&G PH
    Michael Kors
    Quorum
    Platinum Egoiste

So I'm reading this thread as a list of fragrances I ought to seek out to try!

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

BdP
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Anything Amouage.

They're not bad but they are not worth the price.

Anything Clive Christian.

My first comment to the 10th power.

Griff
    Griff

How could I have forgotten!

GENTLEMAN BY GIVENCHY

Or aging hippie has a patchouli *summer of love flashback as he dresses up for the opera.

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

The first time i tried GIT i was supremely disappointed. I did end up liking it quite a bit after a few wears, but that was the most hyped i've been for a fragrance and the most let down.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

For me Piper Nigrum never lived up to what I hoped it would. Mugler's Cologne is another and D&G PH still another.

Potions just not for me.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Plus

As a men's fragrance, Habit Rouge! Way too feminine for my tastes!

A lot of the Creeds: Himalaya and GIT
    Ungaro III
    Caron Tabac Blond (its nice but not that nice, way too much hype on this one)
    Serge Lutens MKK
    Rive Gauche
    CDG 2

Piper Nigrum
    Eau Sauvage
    Mugler Cologne
    D&G Homme
    Habit Rouge

I acutally like 1872 by clive christian but I do not think it is worth the price for such a small bottle.

This list could be long so I will keep it short:

-dolce and gabanna ph

-kouros although I like the colonge sport version

-givenchy pi because I dislike vanilla, benzoin, and all the derivitives.

-guerlain vetiver, it is nice but not that nice.

-all things Polo

-all things calvin klein

-all things cartier

-etc,

I had better stop before I get a cussing! hehehe

BdP:
    I was really expecting something special with BdP but when I first tried it I couldn't stand it. It has now slowly grown on me and I guess I'm finally beginning to get this scent but it sure has taken a while.

D&G by Man:
    I was expecting pepper, leather, and wood. To me, this turned out to be sweet and nausiating. I just don't seem to enjoy this one at all. I'll wait for cool weather to see if that makes a difference and if not, I'll be looking to trade it.

Michael for Men:
    This was not what I expected either. With published notes of pipe tobacco, suede, incence, and sandalwood I thought this would be dryer than it turned out. If there is pipe tobacco in this, it must be some sugary, goopy, cheap aromatic from the corner drug store rather than the high end english mixtures I smoke in my pipes. This is another one that will get a second shot when cool weather arrives and will be put on the block if my opinion does not change.

Bvlgari PH is crap ..
    just my two cents

Everything I've tried so far by Dolce & Gabbana and
    everything I've tried so far by Bvlgari.

Typical mid-to-late 90's girly-man piss water.

Creed MI [smiley=thumbdown.gif] waaaaaaaaaay down....

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

This is easy for me. I blindly purchased both Tabac Blond and Poivre direct from Caron (VERY expensive stuff!!!) after months of reading post after post as to how these, especially TB, were the holy grail of classic scents. I could not wait to try them both. I read so much that I had the scent "image" in my mind for weeks before it arrived of what I thought it would smell like...all based on posts here. Got it...tried it...OMG! Hate it. Cant even believe how much. All I smell is an intense girly perfume...as feminine of a perfume as you have ever smelled. How could any guy ever wear this? So intense as to violate all of my nasal senses. It almost makes me ill, which is VERY rare, as I like a huge diverse array of scents. But this was the ultimate diappointment. Anyone wanting a large bottle of either should PM me soon. I am definitely needing to sell these off. (sorry, not trying to turn this into a sales post). Very disappointing indeed, to me.

humble apologies to the faithful (I love third man, at least).

-Voleur de Roses (not particularly bad, just massively overhyped)

-Dunhill Desire

-Givenchy pour Homme

You can ask if the last two were even considered that great to begin with, but they seem to always get more praise than negative responses.

I'm going to jump on the GIT pigpile.

80% of all CdG´s - just don´t like 'em. Sure some are original, while others are not. But I feel there´s too much pretentious copywriting and too little substance to this house.

MPG - Not found a single scent frpm Maitre that I would consider purchasing... Huge letdown-house for me. They´re too soilish, floral and feminine for my tastes. Maybe this will change when I receive my Baime sample. Haven´t tried Eau de Iles either.

I used to feel very cold towards Etro as a house as well, but this is begining to change. I REALLLY enjoy their Heliotrope, and since I need a a pure patchouli in my wardrobe I´m thinking of theirs, it´s seems like a soft and pleasant interpretation. MdM is cooll but completely unwearable IMHO.

/mmm

Bulgari PH and Silver Mountain Water. Both of these have major fan clubs on Basenotes, yet were hugely disappointing for me. Interesting to see from this thread, though, that many others in fact share my disappointment with them. I'm also tempted to mention a couple of L'Artisans that have been much hyped on this board, including Passage d'Enfer and Mechant Loup.

Voleur de Roses has to be the no1 disappointment for me too. It's not a bad scent but then again, it's mediocre at best.

Quorum and Nino Cerrutti Pour Homme.
    No doubt.

Very few around here tend to dislike M7 but I am one of them.It is very sharp,heavy and may I say feminine-smelling?It's somehow weird,but I really like M7 Fresh.
    Also ,most of the people almost adore Rive Gauche,but not me.Who needs a copy of Brut?
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Echoes

M7, Rive Gauche, Gucci PH, Jaipur and Bvlgari PH to name some.

No one has mentioned Passage d'Enfer by l'Artisan. I found it too sweet, too sickly and short lived. Gave the bottle to my wife and it smells better on her - but I remain disappointed.

Also Guerlain Coriolan one of a very few given the thumbs up by marcel/de Charlus that I have not liked. Nothing wrong with it especially, just anonymous.

Trot

In despite of all the noise out there.... Dior Homme. Sorry, but it was a disappointment for me... [smiley=thumbdown.gif]
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Chez Bond had my hopes up due to all the dicussion of the Bond no.9 fragrances.

I was shocked at how similar this scent was to the original Jordache cologne for men popular in drugstores back in the late 80's. I had a bottle and tossed it in the dumpster after about 2 months.

What a dissapointment after all the hype.

I'm sure that many of the Bond no. 9 fragrances are great but I would never make a blind purchase on a niche scent without sampling for a week or two after this experience.

Creed's GIT and TM....................

Bvlgari Extreme

I just blindly ordered my first bottle of Cologne/Mugler and I hope it doesn't fall into this category.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Creed Millesime Imperiale - I am sorry but it really makes me sick..

Well there's certainly no accounting for individual taste.
    V.d' Roses is one of my favorites. Very unique and classy. I flipped the first time I sampled at Aedes. Same goes for Passage d'Enfer.

A couple that I expected more from:

Creed G.I.T.
    Smells like so many other contemporary frags.

Eau d'Orange Verte.
    Starts off great then morphs into generic cologne essence. No enduance either.

Guerlaine Imperial.
    Simply lemon and WILL NOT LAST no,matter how many sprays. (Cool looking bottle though)

Creed Bois du Portugal (1987)
    Suffocating "generic Cologne" essence. No individual notes distinguish themselves. Very one dimensional in my book. (of course I may have over-applied)

Allow me to add Goutal Vetiver (contrary to BN opinion)
    Salty and dry. Very herbiforous. Did not develope but remained singularly monochromatic.

Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte: inexplicable one-note frag good for room deodorizer.

Creed GIT and MI: can't grasp these.

Creed SMW: lame and harsh.

Guerlain Vetiver: the drydown is awful.

Penhaligon's simply don't have a clue.

Caron PuH: a jaw-dropper. How anyone could wear this one lies way beyond my limited comprehension.

I recently made a brief visit in the world of colognes and my biggest disappointment was the original
    Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia:
    Maybe it's just me but I found it to be 100% washing powder my mom used for years and I grew up with.
    Now since I'm biased I wonder if S.M. Novella is a bad cologne or if my mother just had a great powder
    (to it's credit I must say that I found it to have an absurd long staying power for a cologne, and definitely longer than the other S.M. Novellas I have tested)

D&G Pour Homme
    Bandit
    Voleur de Roses
    Eau Sauvage