Code of Conduct

Default My Anteus Arrived!

I just recieved it via UPS! It is so rich and refined in its woody texture. I will have to write a review or at least post my thoughts after my first wearing! Now that fall is getting here, it will be a great addition to my drobe. I mst admit though, I have been imensly enjoying my Kyoto! Love that sutff!!!!

Default Re: My Anteus Arrived!

Nice. Antaeus is a classic. I've only tried it from a tester at the store and the SA insisted its for older men but I loved it. I should be getting a bottle tomorrow in the mail!
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

It is such an amazing fragrance, but I see mentioned so rarely these days. I would love to read your review.

I adore it! It's a perfect Fall-Winter scent!!!

It's a classic indeed! But I think I received an old bottle... I can't smell the initial smoky top notes... Just the berries... [smiley=angry.gif]

Hmm, I have never noticed "smoky topnotes" either. Where did you hear that there are supposed to be smoky topnotes?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

This is my SOTD. I wore it once when I got it in mid summer and it was way to wintry for the weather and I found it quite overbearing. Wearing it today in the rain I'm finding it lovely. It's a spicy, woody leather scent with a touch of honey just peeking out over the top. The Basenotes scent pyramid doesn't list leather, but I suspect that the leather note comes from labdanum, as per my recent eductation on that ingredient in another thread about Tuscany. It lends an animalistic, slightly harch accord at the bottom that really anchors this fragrance and gives it some balls, as it were. Very masculine, sensual, and elegant.

I also recently got this one.

I've only worn it once because of the weather in LA, but I can't wait for Winter.

It's one of the best I've smelled in a while. It definately makes a statement!

In addition to the woody character, I love that slight medicianl efferescent from the spices. It will be a great winter scent indeed!

Could it be the most beautfull scent in the world ???

It is for me perfect

laurent
    Invisible Power

I sampled Antaeus for the first time a few days ago. Bought a mini. Fantastic scent. VERY masculine, and the basenotes are fantastic. Strong stuff, though. Not for the timid. [smiley=smiley.gif]

Ahh... Antaeus. I had heard about Antaeus for years before finally getting a sweet deal on ebay
    last spring. The topnotes are nice almost perfumey and have a sweet sweet heady feeling about it, Totally different from all other Chanel offerings. It is extremely Loong lasting, lasts days on my clothes even if not applied directly ! However, I do not like the final 'smoky mustard' drydown at all it makes me nauseous, I think there is the same note (labdanum ? styrax ?) in Yatagan which makes me want to throw up. I understand it being funky and hooky to who can take it but I can't. It is still a knockout scent that you won't smell on anyone else, although it does have a hairy-chest/golden-chains/Tony Montana (Scarface) feel to it, I think I will give it some powerplay this fall, especially for Halooween Night.

Gotham

This used to be my favourite scent back in the late 80's & early 90's, I've lost count of the number of women I got jiggy with wearing this classic - they would always comment on how great I smelled, my friends noticed the effect it had on the fairer sex when they were out with me and bought a bottle each for themselves - now that's an endorsement! [smiley=happy.gif]

-Mike

I first thought the drydown was a little overpowering when I smelled it close up. I was worried about wearing it.

But when I waved my arm a couple of feet in front of my face and smelled again, it smelled wonderful (I guess this is the definition of Sillage) . And since this is the way most people will smell it, I'll have no problem wearing this a lot when the temps drop a few more degrees.

Antaeus changed the way I test frags. I've always smelled on a card to see if it was in the ballpark of what I'm looking for, then a little on my wrist and a close up smell. Now, I also add a wiff of my arm passing in front of my face to get a sense of how it will smell to others and how well it projects. Each test it smells completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Hmm, I have never noticed "smoky topnotes" either. Where did you hear that there are supposed to be smoky topnotes?
    I have two bottles and one of them is slightly off. The new bottle is smooth and has no smoky character to it and leather kicks in at the end. However, the slightly off one has a smooky and acrid character to it and leather note kicks in much earlier. Since I don't have production dates on the bottles, maybe my newer bottle is the one that is off..
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Mine smells fantastic! I sprayed once and I keep getting this mesmerizing woft of something heavenly! I was just outside playing some basketball and the bodyheat further progected its divineness out into the midst. I love this stuff. I can detect a leather note in it. As I said, I will be doing a review soon!

I am also going to add that for the price as compared to a creed, this has to be the best male fragrance in it's range hands down! It is also that perfect match I was looking for when I was trying to find a male scent similar to Quelques Fleurs by Houbigant!

Antaeus is a wonderful scent. About time to get this one out for sure.
    Kyoto is fantastic also.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303
    Antaeus is a wonderful scent. About time to get this one out for sure.
    Kyoto is fantastic also.
    Gary
    Amen! I love and adore both of these! I will be wearing these quite a bit!

antaeus, its the sexiest scent a man could wear - It is the best -- out of all, the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    antaeus, its the sexiest scent a man could wear - It is the best -- out of all, the best.
    Yes, I can vouch for this statement! I have had it less than 8 hours and I have already been told how great is smells on me! I just showered and sprayed it on for bedtime comfort.

It is a most handsome scent indeed! My first colgone purchase at the age of 15!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Just this past week I've been trying both Antaeus and Egoiste. I purchased some of the Small Chanel sample spray bottles off of Ebay. My first impression was that I disliked Antaeus and was warm towards Egoiste. Soon after spraying on Antaeus I wondered "What is this? Yatagan on steroids?" Honestly, it smelled like a drunk woodworker who'd spent all day running a belt sander. I actually washed it off, but it still lingered for hours. On trying Egoiste it surprised me at first due to the strong mandarin. I was mystified by it at first but a couple hours later I decided it was a keeper. Days later I said to myself that I had to give such a well reviewed fragrance as Antaeus a second chance. I sprayed it on again and suffered through the first 30 minutes. Man, this stuff is just harsh. But slowly I began to warm up to it. The honey/beeswax notes came in and mellowed the searing wood notes down. Some sweetness arrived thankfully and I actually began to like it. I'll try it a third time soon to break the tie. Would I buy a full bottle? Well, I'm not sure about that but maybe. I absolutely agree that it is older mans fragrance. I'm in my mid-30's and probably too young for it. I tried the Egoiste again lastnight as I settled in to watch Ben Hur. I was quite excited to get my second thoughts. Guess what, I didn't like it. The mandarin began to grind on me and a certain weirdness about it settled in. Like the Antaeus I'll try it a third time before making a final judgement. These mens Chanels are very challenging if nothing else.

Wow. Are we talking about the same scent that someone started a thread about not too long ago about what terrible longetivity this one has, and most everyone agreed?

I love the scent but it definitely does not last on me.

I am loving this thread! I have been using Antaeus since it was released and I am stoked to see so many people discovering its glory after all of these years. I hope you all have a very long and rewarding relationship with this masterpiece.
    From what I have observed, Chanel appears to have scaled back its distribution in the U.S.. It would be great if a new flush of admirers brings about a relaunch of this classic. [smiley=cool.gif]
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

However, I do not like the final 'smoky mustard' drydown at all it makes me nauseous,
    I hadn't noticed that before you mentioned it but , yes, very late into the drydown I get a stale mustard smell. It doesn't happen until very late in the drydown after even the oakmoss is gone.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    However, I do not like the final 'smoky mustard' drydown at all *it makes me nauseous,
    I hadn't noticed that before you mentioned it but , yes, very late into the drydown I get a stale mustard smell. It doesn't happen until very late in the drydown after even the oakmoss is gone.

Yes this would be like after 8-10 hours of wearing it, but as someone mentioned, maybe it smells good to other people. Now you guys are wanting me to wear it again even before Cooler temps kick in.

Gotham

I did not get the mustard note at all. I will wear it again and be paying close attention.

I can really appreciate how well made Antaeus is, but I can not get past that I would expect to find this scent on someone who is twice my age.

I guess I have too many "traumatic" memories from ferries crossing the baltic, memories of intoxicated antaeus over-dosed well-above-middle-age men in cheap suits that are on the prowl.

Damn, those tax free shops spoils all scents for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Wow. Are we talking about the same scent that someone started a thread about not too long ago about what terrible longetivity this one has, and most everyone agreed?

I love the scent but it definitely does not last on me.
    Gotta' agree with BB here. *It's not bad stuff, but it goes under, hard, on me everytime I wear it. By the third hour max, it's pretty much undetectable. *I should put it on my Swap List, I suppose...

I actually find Yatagan easier to wear. That smoky mustard drydown just doesn't do it for me, man.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??