Code of Conduct

Default Interview scent?

I have a job interview tomorrow. I've been freelancing for years, but am looking for a little stability.

I'm also moving, and a lot of my scents are stored away.

The interview is at a local weekly arts-oriented newspaper. I'm wearing a suit sans tie, to give you an idea of the attire that I think would be appropriate (for the interview, that is - it's a casual office environment, but I figure a suit is a good idea just to be professional, and skipping the tie make it obvious I understand the office atmosphere. Or something...)

Anyway,

What should I wear (applied lightly, of course) out of these few that I've kept out? The weather is supposed to be around 65-70, cloudy, and windy.

Mark Birley
    Zegna
    Unbound
    Boucheron
    Trussardi Uomo
    Loewe Solo
    Cuiron

If you have any better suggestions from my wardrobe, feel free to provide them and I might just undig my wardrobe! I am aware that Mugler Cologne is probably the best, but it's packed away and I thought it would be interesting to just pick from what I have out!

Thanks,
    John

Default Re: Interview scent?

John, I'd say Yatagan - gave me the best luck! You've got an amazing selection of the best picks.. but Yatagan will get you that job Only thing, you sure about not showing up with a tie??

I would go with Boucheron. Pure class.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Ric--you sure you want to skip the tie? I know you're really not asking about that, but I often wonder what the harm is in showing that you know how to dress up and can do it for something as special as a job interview? Ties and the suit just show you can play the game and feel at ease showing that you're going to be serious. Of course you can dress cool and tie-less later. That's cool, and they'll certainly want you to look cool once you're in the job.

Enough of my soapbox. I'm just running out the rant energy I got going in my last post about trashy recent scent releases. Sorry, love ya to death and all that, really.

From your list I'm partial to Mark Birley and Trussardi Uomo. More to the Trussardi. If it is just too sexy a scent someone else from the board will post below and say so.

Great ones you saved from the packing. Very best luck good buddy.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    John, I'd say Yatagan - gave me the best luck! You've got an amazing selection of the best picks.. but Yatagan will get you that job Only thing, you sure about not showing up with a tie??
    Absolutely sure about the no tie choice. The suit I'm wearing is a knockout - it's a Samuelsohn in blue w/a faint light blue overcheck that fits perfectly; not too flash and not too stodgy, just very classic. It's sure to impress and is without a doubt a better ensemble than other candidates would wear. The lack of a tie shows that I'm not too uptitght - remember, it's a paper that is skewed towards the arts.

Not so sure about the Yatagan, though; might be a little overpowering. I was thinking about a very light dose of Sud Est, though!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    From your list I'm partial to Mark Birley and Trussardi Uomo. *More to the Trussardi. *If it is just too sexy a scent someone else from the board will post below and say so. *

Great ones you saved from the packing. *Very best luck good buddy.
    --Chris
    The interview is with a woman, but I don't know if sexy is what I'm trying to get across!

Quote Originally Posted by misterbowles
    [quote author=Ric link=1127267010/0#1 date=1127267216]I was thinking about a very light dose of Sud Est, though!
    hey John, now Sud Est - Thats a nice choice... Clean, sparkling, with body. Whatever the case, a guy who's been self-supporting himself for as long, offers a kind of entrepreneurial value most other candidates can't dream of matching - Good luck man.

BTW - that Samuelsohn, fantastic choice.

I would think twice about the Trussardi or the Yatigan. I like your choice to go with no tie, given the environment.

This is one of those situations where even a little fragrance can be too much. The last thing you want them to notice about you is your fragrance. Many people are quite anti-fragrance for various reasons. I would go with Cuiron or nothing at all. I'm not familiar with Sud Est though...will have to research it...
    Just my 2 cents.
    And good luck.
    Doc

Post Thanks / Like

I would urge you to consider wearing Gendarme.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Some while ago I recommended Body Kouros for a job interview and guess...the person was hired. YMMV
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

GIT or Anteus. Both exude class and assertiveness!

Best of luck with your interview tomorrow.

In terms of interview scent, my answer, idealism set aside for the moment, would be "none". There will be plenty of days for testing out the perfect office cologne once you get the job. Tomorrow will have enough variables to deal with....why complicate it with one more?

My two cents.

Again, best of luck!!!!

Cheers,
    Jim

Thanks for the advice, guys. It's down to Mark Birley and Boucheron (yes, I know it's late, but the interview isn't until 4pm!).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, guys. It's down to Mark Birley and Boucheron (yes, I know it's late, but the interview isn't until 4pm!).

Well, in that case the answer is obvious: Flip a coin!

And afterwards, *don't give it a second thought.

Good luck on the interview.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

[quote author=Ric link=1127267010/0#1 date=1127267216]John, I'd say Yatagan - gave me the best luck! You've got an amazing selection of the best picks.. but Yatagan will get you that job Only thing, you sure about not showing up with a tie??
    Absolutely sure about the no tie choice. The suit I'm wearing is a knockout - it's a Samuelsohn in blue w/a faint light blue overcheck that fits perfectly; not too flash and not too stodgy, just very classic. It's sure to impress and is without a doubt a better ensemble than other candidates would wear. The lack of a tie shows that I'm not too uptitght - remember, it's a paper that is skewed towards the arts.

Not so sure about the Yatagan, though; might be a little overpowering. I was thinking about a very light dose of Sud Est, though![/quote]

I agree with the Sud Est choice, you know I've got your back on Romeo Gigli fragrances, however I agree with everyone that you should bite the bullet & sport a tie, this coupled with polished shoes completes the look, it would definitely make you stand out from the other candidates.

I do hope you clinch the job, remain confident, you'll do just fine...

Good luck

Magnnum
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by jim2154mn

In terms of interview scent, my answer, idealism set aside for the moment, would be "none". There will be plenty of days for testing out the perfect office cologne once you get the job. Tomorrow will have enough variables to deal with....why complicate it with one more?

Cheers,
    Jim
    Yeah, I wouldn't wear any. You don't know if your interviewer has any allergies, or if for some reason they simply hate your cologne. But since you are, I'd say go with the Mugler. Something that smells clean and not really too cologne-y.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i think that better option is Mark Birley, (but you eliminated from his list) another 2 options are Creed GIT and Patou Pour Homme Prive,but don`t have in his list.

well i try "Solo" by Loewe (Loewe is from my country and they are the best house from here)
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Post Thanks / Like

I think Boucheron is good!!!

No scent and you know your mother wants you to wear a tie.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Zegna you listed Essenza di Zegna or the original, called "Zegna." If it's the latter, I'd never wear it to an interview. If it's the former, then I'd choose that or maybe Unbound.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Post Thanks / Like

At first I thought that you shouldn't wear any scent at all. But then I realized that by wearing a scent, the interviewer might be pleased that you care enough to take that extra step in making that first impression. I would personally wear Unbound. It's a light inoffensive scent that could only be detected in close encounters. You want a scent that doesn't push, but rather invites. Good luck. I hope you get the job.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. The interview went very well I wore a faint application of Mark Birley and yes, I did end up wearing a tie!

Post Thanks / Like

Too late for your interview now, but a few months ago I posted about how I wore Angel Schlesser for a series of three interviews and ended up getting the position... it'll always be a great interview fragrance in my book!

-R