Code of Conduct

Default Looking for rose-based cologne

I am looking for some male (or unisex) fragrance which has natural roses as its main component, yet is not sweet like typical female perfume. Some people suggested that I should try Rose Poivree (Different Company), Hermessence Rose Ikebana (Hermes), and Une Rose (Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle), but I have no idea how they smell like. Can somneone help me with some information about these and also other fragrance you might recommend? Thanks.

Default Re: Looking for rose-based cologne

Try Rose d'Homme by Parfums de Rosine and i am willing to bet your search will end. Its an outstanding 'masculine' rose scent.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Voleur de roses - check out the thread below:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1125315978

Also try Lorenzo Villoresi's Musk & No.88 by Czech & Speake

Good luck with your search!

Let your nose be your pilot

What about Burberry Brit?

I second Rose d'Homme, wchich I really like; but I prefer Rose Poivrée which is a bit fresher and cooler.
    C&S 88 is a great , very distinctive fragrance with notes from roses that grow on the dark side of an old castle.
    Iquitos, Richard James and Ungaro III have rose notes, too, but they're not too predominant.

Ungaro 111.
    Renato

I will add Diptyque's Opone to the above mentioned scents. Almost all rose mixed with some spices, mostly saffron. Unisex to my nose. Very lasting. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Ungaro 111.
    Renato
    I second that notion. A wonderful wet trampled rose in the earth sort of scent.

Burberry Brit has a very faint hint of rose to me, with ginger and baking spice being much more prevalent to my nose.

Santalia is an Australian scent (created by the founder of L'Artisan and Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, Jean LaPorte) that blends Moroccan rose and Australian sandalwood. It is marketed as unisex, but I find it leaning more towards the feminine side, especially in the opening. During the drydown the sandalwood emerges and becomes soft and soothing. I never wear it outside the house, but find it very relaxing at night if I'm having a hard time getting to sleep. I'm quirky like that.

Voleur de Roses...don't let the name fool you. It doesn't smell like fresh cut roses at all. It has more of an earthy scent. Keep this in mind before you buy blind.

You have to try Richard James!

Very sophisticated, VERY long lasting.

When i need a classy evening frag, it's one of my go to's.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122845.html

There is a rose component in 06130's Yuzu Rouge, and I believe this is marketed as a unisex scent.

Iquitos (1987)
    by Alain Delon Smells like roses and pez candy with a warm musky drydown and lasts 2 days.

Hammam Bouquet

Aaron

Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsational
    [quote author=Renato link=1125640641/0#5 date=1125644447]Ungaro 111.
    Renato
    I second that notion. A wonderful wet trampled rose in the earth sort of scent.

Burberry Brit has a very faint hint of rose to me, with ginger and baking spice being much more prevalent to my nose.

Santalia is an Australian scent (created by the founder of L'Artisan and Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, Jean LaPorte) that blends Moroccan rose and Australian sandalwood. It is marketed as unisex, but I find it leaning more towards the feminine side, especially in the opening. During the drydown the sandalwood emerges and becomes soft and soothing. I never wear it outside the house, but find it very relaxing at night if I'm having a hard time getting to sleep. I'm quirky like that.[/quote]

I feel the same way with Creed MI. It's just too 'fruity cutey' watermelon-like in the beginning, only when the salty/aquatic/earthy elements come forward is when I feel more 'masculinely comfortable' in it!

I'm still eyeing out a bottle of Rose Ikebana, but afraid of how the word "Rose" is the first word in the title of the scent, not to mention the bottle is PINK!!!!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Richard James has a definite rose note and is fairly masculine too. It's one of my favourites, you should definitely check it out!

Montale Aoud Rose Petals, quite nice.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

I'll add one I just noticed whilst perusing the DSH web site:
    https://www.dshperfumes.com/formen_e...e=3&page=9

Black Rose
    Smoky and rich, this balsamic-incense-rose note is truly exotic!

Composition*
    Top notes: Bulgarian Rose Absolute
    Middle notes: Bulgarian Rose Absolute
    Base notes: Incense/Incense Notes
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Bath & Body Works make a wonderful line called Sandalwood /Rose. It comes in Lotion, cream, body spray, etc. Nice and pleasant with the rose note rounded out nicely with the creamy sandalwood.

Exellent topic because I'm also in search of a rose-based cologne for men (or unisex). I truly LOVE Rose Poivrée but I'm afraid it won't last that long plus it's just too expensive.

Can anyone tell me if the Opônè smells either fresh and clean like Rose Poivrée or damp and moist like Voleur des Roses?

Voleur de Roses and Rose D'homme. The latter is a much softer rose scent, smells rather unisex to me. VdR has an earty rose/patchouli quality to it, fantastic scent.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MannyMoo
    Richard James has a definite rose note and is fairly masculine too. It's one of my favourites, you should definitely check it out!
    Richard James is a wonderful tuberose/suede scent. But thats tubrose, don't know if thats what your looking for!

Tis great though!

I just sampled Opôné (Diptyque) and I must say... THIS is what I was looking for!!

- lighter and fresher than Voleur Des Roses

AND

- spicier than Rose Poivrée (and also a lot cheaper)

AND

- more complex than Rose (Comme des Garçons)

I think I've made my choice [smiley=bath.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    Montale Aoud Rose Petals, quite nice.

I absolutely adore this one!!! Totally smitten!!

Want to add to the list Czech & Speake NO. 88
    This is a wonderful masculine rose based scent.....woody, earthy, rich, deep and soapy
    yeah.....hard to imagine soapy and deep and earthy in the same scent.....and yet its so.

I'm testing Voleur de Roses today and I must say: WAW! [smiley=shocked.gif]

Also a very nice, earthy and humid scent, totaly different from Opôné (which is much drier).

It has been with me for about 8 hours now and I can still smell it, way to go!

You really should try Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's (mentioned by Lazycalm above). It's regarded as a classic in this genre ie., rose-based scents for men. It's a more traditional style of scent than Opone or Voleur de Roses, but very nice in it's own way.