Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More about Davidoff Silver Shadow.

From WWD

Davidoff's Spritz of Sophistication
    By Jennifer Weil

PARIS — After targeting men that are young and men that are hip, Davidoff is going after the true sophisticate this fall with Silver Shadow.

The new men's scent, created by Davidoff and its fragrance license-holder, Lancaster (Coty Inc.'s prestige division), is for "modern Epicureans" expected to be in the 35-to-45 age range, according to executives.

Each Davidoff franchise is meant for a different sort of man. While Cool Water has core users 18 to 35 years old, Echo is positioned for young urban guys, according to Françoise Mariez, senior vice president of European fragrances at Lancaster.

She added Silver Shadow is "for mature men with real seduction." They might be the same guys driven to dream about a Silver Shadow Rolls Royce car, although there is no link between the two.

Francis Kurdjian, of Quest International, created its woody Oriental juice. For Silver Shadow, he was inspired by the rigor of Zino Davidoff, Davidoff's founder, in running the firm and making made-to-measure clothing. The juice's main notes include bitter orange, saffron flower and amber.

"The initial freshness gives way to a very cosy signature," said Kurdjian.

Silver Shadow will be available as an eau de toilette and a "Pure Blend" version, which is a deeper variant of the juice.

"It really is for connoisseurs," said Mariez. "It is the quintessence of the Silver Shadow concept."

Thierry de Baschmakoff of Aesthete created Silver Shadow's vertical, heavy glass bottle. For the Pure Blend version, the front and back have a black lacquered effect so the scent's amber-colored juice is only apparent through the flacon's sides.

Peter Lindberg photographed the Silver Shadow advertisement, which features a black-and-white shot of a man gazing outward. The tag line of the single- and double-page spreads reads: Lead the way.

Mariez said the media plan is not classic; instead, the idea is for Silver Shadow's ad to appear "in the press, where you usually do not see perfume" — in newspapers, for instance. Ads running on TV will be as 5-, 10-, 15- and 20-second spots.

Sampling for the new fragrance is to include vials, sprays, scented strips and miniatures.

While Lancaster executives refused to discuss numbers, sources estimate Silver Shadow will ring up $20 million in wholesale volume in its first year.

The fragrance is to be launched in Europe and the Middle East starting in September, then hit Asia in November. Other countries are scheduled for the fragrance in 2006.

The 50-ml. Silver Shadow eau de toilette spray will sell for 47 euros, or $57.90 at current exchange rates, while Pure Blend will be available as a 100-ml. spray priced at 82 euros, or $101. Ancillaries are to be available, as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: More about Davidoff Silver Shadow.

tested it last week, and found it to be 'nothing special Oriental', not quiete longlasting... but yesterday, (my cold has gone better)..I tested it again and 'rediscovered' it...quiete longlasting in a soft way, always present and not boring...Yes, Oriental it is, like so many other, but IMO, more sophisticated... thnking of buying it !

Post Thanks / Like

Oriental like what?? Habit Rouge, Opium, Casran or what....?

GnuGnuAntiloop

Quote Originally Posted by whitechandoo
    Oriental like what?? Habit Rouge, Opium, Casran or what....?
    More like Baldessarini IMHO. Subtle, inoffensive, but dare I say, a bit boring too...

-T-

Post Thanks / Like

definetly not Habit Rouge style...not a fresh oriental base I'd say...more likely: kinda mild Pi, Rochas Man, Balman...that style (not confusing with resemblence ! )

Post Thanks / Like

Tried it yesterday, surrealistically boring. Smells like 1000 other fragrances. NEXT! The bottle wasn´t even good looking, which should be a bare minimum since 99% of the new juices suck.

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Tried it yesterday, surrealistically boring. Smells like 1000 other fragrances. NEXT! The bottle wasn´t even good looking, which should be a bare minimum since 99% of the new juices suck.

MMM

I knew there would never be another Zino.

I mean, really, did anyone think this would be groundbreaking?

Post Thanks / Like

No new Zino, not even a new GoodLife or Cool Water dude! Whoever is in charge of things has made the house a joke. I´m sure the old man would turn in his grave, afterall he didn´t care for anything less than top quality. SAD.

MMM

Echoes

Tried it today, and it reminded me a little about jaipur - but weaker. I didn`t like it...

Post Thanks / Like

Tried it again yesterday and just want to confirm that I distinctly could smell bubble gum somewhere well into the dry down. This doesn't last long, but is very off-putting.

Tried this briefly the other day....like many of you, "hmmph"....the bitter orange adds hints of Boss in Motion...anyone else get this?

There goes my excitment. I am not even interested in trying this now! If I am casually passing a counter, I will test but I will make no special trip for it.