Code of Conduct

Default Bottle sells more than the scent

Like a beautifull red Ferrari that can only go up to 50 Miles/hour tops.

Are fragrance bottles selling more than the actual product the scent.

I must say Le Male bottle as well as Angel for men are one exemple of what we are paying for bying the bottle more than the scent.

Seems that the scent is becoming secondary.

Saying that I do think that the Jean Paul Gaultier bottle FRAGILE is just FABULOUS.....but the scent nothing revolutionary it could be J'adore by Dior etc....

Also the price of those bottle LOOKS and certainly is pricy and is this what the consumer is paying the bottle ???

Well next time lets tell the designers to put at least a chain arround it so we can all wear it arround our necks and show the pricy object of desire the scent well it is all flowery this season for £ 50.00.

Then you have the perfumers one bottle one size one top they do look borring compared with the designed competition BUT it is whenyou open the bottle and spray that all shapes and colors do appear and become magic, the bottle well it will stay on my cabinet at home.

And you what do you think ???

laurent

Invisible Power

Default Re: Bottle sells more than the scent

I completely agree. I read an article a couple of weeks ago in the New York Times, saying that it costs upwards of $500,000 or more to design a perfume bottle. There are so many bottles I like but would never want to actually buy because the scent just plain is boring.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

I like a nice-looking bottle. It sure can attract me to try the fragrance. However, the scent itself is what makes me pick up the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by duxie
    I like a nice-looking bottle. It sure can attract me to try the fragrance. However, the scent itself is what makes me pick up the bottle.

You must be one of those carefull one then good for you

laurent
    Invisible Power

Quote Originally Posted by laurent
    [quote author=duxie link=1126560539/0#2 date=1126562683]I like a nice-looking bottle. It sure can attract me to try the fragrance. However, the scent itself is what makes me pick up the bottle.

You must be one of those * * carefull one then * good for you

laurent[/quote]

I'm not so sure I'd be very careful if I had more money to spend on what I love the most! hehe [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

A nice looking bottle a bonus. There is a reason Shalimar was in Bacarrat glass. Hell, even though I rather dislike Shalimar, I'd love to give my fiancee Shalimar in a Bacarrat glass container.

My modern favorite container is the M7 bottle. Not the most practical, IMHO, but at least it feels substantial, and looks like a work of art.

Can't go for the tacky Le Male bottle though. Even if I liked the scent, jeesh. [smiley=embarassed.gif]
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

[quote author=laurent link=1126560539/0#3 date=1126563022][quote author=duxie link=1126560539/0#2 date=1126562683]I like a nice-looking bottle. It sure can attract me to try the fragrance. However, the scent itself is what makes me pick up the bottle.

laurent[/quote]

I'm not so sure I'd be very careful if I had more money to spend on what I love the most! hehe [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif][/quote]

Meaning ??? dont know if I should ask ???
    Invisible Power

[quote author=duxie link=1126560539/0#4 date=1126563255][quote author=laurent link=1126560539/0#3 date=1126563022][quote author=duxie link=1126560539/0#2 date=1126562683]I like a nice-looking bottle. It sure can attract me to try the fragrance. However, the scent itself is what makes me pick up the bottle.

laurent[/quote]

I'm not so sure I'd be very careful if I had more money to spend on what I love the most! hehe [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif][/quote]

Meaning ??? * dont know if I should ask *???[/quote]

It just means that I would like to be able to spend more money on perfume than I actually can. With no steady job, I just can't afford it. [smiley=cry.gif]

Sometimes, I'm disappointed in the bottle. I feel a good bottle adds to the enjoyment of purchashing a fragrance.

I love the post-2000 Guerlain Vetiver bottle and find the old style boring. I can definitely do without the Habit Rouge bottle although I love the fragrance. I think a better bottle would definitely add to the appeal.

Boucheron Pour Homme's bottle to me fits the fragrance so well. As does the Salvatore Ferragamo Subtil Pour Homme bottle. Both say that what's inside is a classy gentleman's fragrance.

To me an example of a great looking bottle with a good but not great fragrance is Cartier's Pasha. It's what finally made me decide to buy it, but when wearing it, I sometimes ask why.

L'Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme's bottle and Bulgari Pour Homme's bottle are realy nice ways to market a fragrance - not really fancy but very appealing designs that both housie marvellous fragrances. *

Out of all of mine, Pi takes the honors as the best bottle. Followed by Roma Uomo.

Ditto. The juice matters most, but I appreciate a good design.

Here are some of my favorites:

~ L'Anarchiste - copper is aesthetically the most pleasing metallic to me...simple typeface...gradual patina (very slow) of the bottle...

~ Musc Ravaguer - simple and minimalistic, yet modern

~ Kiehl's Musk and Cuiron - old school apothecary influenced bottles

~ Creed Millésime Impérial - that shiny gold is awesome...I'm still pissed I broke my bottle and lost more than half the juice...grrrrrrrr

~ Gucci pour Homme - heavy, simple, obviously inspired by a great highball glass that you'd sip bourbon from

~ Azzaro Visit - nice color for the juice and a nice change of pace on the trigger / sprayer mechanism

I always thought Calvin's Contradiction was the most fragrance unbottle ever made. The caps covered 90% of the bottle and was either cold chorome or gray steel. Only a small part of the fragrance was aloud to shine through.

Maybe this why this was discontinued [smiley=undecided.gif]

I smell the juice first then decide to buy it, often without ever seeing the bottle. If it arrives in an attractive bottle, it's a plus.

I think that Anick Goutal and Etro have the nicest looking bottles; MPG, the ugliest. But I *love* MPG frags...
    Cordially,

Serge

I always had a fascination of the bottles that housed the juice. A beautiful bottle suggested it held something precious. I used to line my bottles up on my dresser until I discovered that the light really did damage to my scents so they stay in a drawer now, no matter how beautiful.

Of the bottles I have, I think Joop Nightflight, Fendi Uomo, and Boss Soul is the most elegant I have.

The most funkiest I have is Boss in Motion (ball) and Versace Jeans Couture (rhinestones, need I say more?).

One that I don't have, but is beautiful is M7.

I used to like the look of DKNY for Men...tall, thin, silver-gray frosted bottle, but it kept falling over, so I thought of it as an architectural disaster waiting to happen on my tiled floors.

I won't even go into the women's frags because I think they're the most innovative and luxurious looking.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I think Pi is a really beautiful bottle, but I can't stand the juice.

DK Men is gorgeous - like a Frank Gehry building. I've never smelled the juice though.

the DKNY be Delicious container, as well as Boss In Motion, are hard to use. you often end up with fragrance all over your hands. The Alfred Sung Paradise bottle is like a puzzle to hold and spray at the same time. The pyramid shape irks me. I love Paradise, though. I detest Boss IN Motion and I could care less abotu DKNY Be Delicious.

As far as women's fragrances go, the Shalimar bottle is beautiful. This is a great one to give as a gift. It's in an elegant bottle with nice packaging, there's no tacky marketing, the juice is great, and it's well priced.

I've always liked when they use heavy glass. Other that that, it's just a plus.

I'm a huge fan of Romeo Gigli Homme and Romeo Gigli Sud Est bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren

DK Men is gorgeous
    It's MY FAVORITE in my collection.. It's the best stuff.

I shined it today with a soft cloth and water, actually

.. I want it's counterpart, DK Unleaded, in the dark bottle style ..

Some of my favorite bottles are Axis by Sense of Space Creations, because the beads inside are great, and the juice is really nice too.. sporty, peppery, fruit, light and refreshing.. good for post work-outs.

.. Anothing favorite bottle of mine, is MI, of course.. looks regal. Then I also really dig the round gear shaped bottle of Quasar, with it's aqua blue juice inside.. it looks cool.

I love displaying my bottles in my closet, on the upper shelf.. because it's dark and good temp. in there. I'm a sucker for nice looking bottles... can't help it! Guilty pleasure indeed.. I've purchased MOST of my frags blindly because of 1) bottle design & 2) reviews. :P Haven't been let down really at all, yet..

Oh yeah, how could I forget the bottle for Le Roy Soleil by Salvador Dali, Yang by Jacques Fath is great style too!

-Mike

Buy fragrances with gorgeous bottles for your eyes.
    Buy fragrances that smell good for your nose.

Buy fragrances with gorgeous bottles and smell good..... [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

If it were just for the bottles, I would have a nice an tidy bathroom shelf of maybe just Malle's and Lutens', sorted by colour or alphabet. I shall definitely never have Le Male. That one gives me the creeps any time I see it in the stores. To touch the bottle took extra resolve. I can live well without a barbie doll!

I've seen that golden Creed bottle once and just hope, I will never really love the scent it belongs to, as I do not want to be reminded each day what a phony, luxurious ass I am. 'Period' bottles for old scents are generally alright. Some were a bit over the top and so are some new ones. Ideally, the bottle should symbolize any scent's character. For me this has been achieved perfectly with both 'Jardins' by Hermes. So far, I have considered buying them as gifts only. I do not need the cologne for myself. But they attract my eyes magically - like Venetian glass!

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

My absolute number one in terms of bottle design is The Different Company! When you buy a bottle, you have the option to buy a leather pouch which is absolutely gorgeous!

I'll try to find a picture!

OK, you can find a picture here http://www.brownsfashion.com/dcrange1.html

Well *next time lets tell the designers to put at least a chain arround it so we can all wear *it arround our necks and show the pricy object of desire
    Bijan put a cool metal thing around his With a Twist that I suppose can be detached and worn as bangles. And I only paid 18.00 euros for it [smiley=cool.gif]

The metal case for Boucheron Jaipur for men is a thing of beauty.

I also think that the (quite similar) unfussy bottles for Aramis Tuscany and Dolce & Gabbana PH are classy in a more understated way.

And I'm a sucker for the A*Men metal case with the blue star as well.

Quote Originally Posted by misterbowles
    I'm a huge fan of Romeo Gigli Homme and Romeo Gigli Sud Est bottles.
    You're not alone dude, I have both fragrances, they bottles are gorgeous & the scents are out of this world.

I like the look of Santa Maria Novella bottles, they look very refined...
    Let your nose be your pilot

I like Kouros' Bottle a lot! [smiley=cool.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Narcus
    If it were just for the bottles, I would have a nice an tidy bathroom shelf of maybe just Malle's and Lutens', sorted by colour or alphabet. I shall definitely never have Le Male. That one gives me the creeps any time I see it in the stores. To touch the bottle took extra resolve. I can live well without a barbie doll!

I've seen that golden Creed bottle once and just hope, I will never really love the scent it belongs to, as I do not want to be reminded each day what a phony, luxurious ass I am. 'Period' bottles for old scents are generally alright. Some were a bit over the top and so are some new ones. Ideally, the bottle should symbolize any scent's character. For me this has been achieved perfectly with both 'Jardins' by Hermes. So far, I have considered buying them as gifts only. I do not need the cologne for myself. But they attract my eyes magically - like Venetian glass!
    Anything nice looking that one owns, then, is because he/she is a phony luxurious ass?

I disagree. I like the MI bottle and it looks cool imo.

I think they put as much effort in designing the bottle as they did with the juice. I mean it is a source of pride,prestige,individuality. It represents the uniqueness of that brand,label or house. And lets be honest, visual aesthetic is what matters most in the cosmetic,perfume,and fashion industry.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

"The distinctive bottles are made from 24% French lead crystal embellished with pink gold."

One of if not the prettiest bottles but the juice is only "so-so" .

That's Amouge's Dia for Men.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I love the DK bottles... Stumbled across Fuel and Unleaded yesterday, and wanted to buy them based on the bottle alone!

FOr about as long as this thread has been floating around Basenotes, I have been trying to convince myself that Polo Black isnt absolutely wretched, so I allow myself to buy that bottle. So far, no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    the DKNY be Delicious container, as well as Boss In Motion, are hard to use.
    Easy to use for batting practice though!

I really like the KenzoAir bottle, much more so than the scent. Supposedly, designed by a famous sculptor. Too bad the juice inside is pretty much an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    FOr about as long as this thread has been floating around Basenotes, I have been trying to convince myself that Polo Black isnt absolutely wretched, so I allow myself to buy that bottle. So far, no luck.
    It's wretched.

Do a search through wardrobes, maybe someone can send you an empty bottle.

The favourite of my bottles has to be my 30ml EDP of Miller Harris Terre de Bois. The beautiful faceted cube-shaped stopper is great for dabbing this luxurious scent onto my neck. (TdB is also available as a 100ml EDT spray).

To me, the scent is the most important thing. But a nice bottle is a plus for sure!

Last edited by GenuineImitationLife; 26th July 2006 at 05:44 PM.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    what about getting the tuscany forte bottle instead? better juice than polo black! IMHO

I like it how most of the niche houses keep the same standard bottle style with subtle variations which still look great (especially in the case of Creed)
    -

it all has to do with perceived value......it would make us feel uneasy if we heard about a fragrance that is absolutley stellar and when we get ready to buy it.....it comes in a plain glass spray bottle.....it would tint our view of the fragrance already without even smelling it....if you have the combo of an extraordinary fragrance and an extraordinary bottle to the customer the price matches up with their perceived value of it.......

Smile Re: Bottle sells more than the scent

I go for the juice and not the bottle. "All that glitters is not gold" my friend. A nice bottle is just "icing" on the cake.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Personally, I like buying frags for the bottles as much as I like buying for the scent itself. It's always a plus when I like both!

Recently I picked up a small bottle of Davidoff Echo, not for the juice at all (I'm going to have to try hard to like it), but rather for the simple, yet exquisitely proportioned bottle. From the side, it has a simple rounded rectagular profile, but from the narrow side it has wonderful curves. The way the juice refracts light and distorts the view of what's behind it is quite nice as well. Also, the word "ECHO" reads properly from both sides of the bottle.

Other bottles I love (that are in my collection): Creed MI, Escada Magnetism, M7, Azzaro Visit, A*Men (the black rubber version is so much cooler, in my opinion), and Bvlgari Black. Pi's bottle is wonderful as well.... as are plenty of others.

I can personally assure you that it is true! People buy perfume based on the appeal of the bottle. 2 months ago I posted a fake CK fragrance ad, there are people actually wanting to buy it even though they have yet to smell the juice! I put up a list of bogus fragrance notes and it didn't stop them from wanting the unexisting perfume. Even after I told everyone its a fake, there are still people wanting that bottle!

Fragrance is the fleeting manifestation of our dreams, fantasies, memories, and illusions (am I sounding like Serge Lutens here?) as well as a universal symbol of beauty, style, vanity and sex.

A great fragrance that unleashes or captures emotions deserves an adequate vessel illustrating those bodyless emanations and stimulating them further by its contemplation. Beauty contained by beauty, that is perfection.

While the many beautiful bottles containing mediocre meaningless waters are a reminder of how misleading appearances may be (you make yourself a face when God has given you another...), how much our fragrances are not sincere expressions of identity, but masks, cover-ups, illusions with which we deceive ourselves and others.

And a beautiful scent in an ugly bottle, that is the hidden, the not-so-obvious to be discovered only by a sincere and unwavering heart, the archetypal story of Cinderella or the ugly duckling reminding us not to judge a book by its cover. Alas, all the world's a fragrance bottle!

Herewith concludeth my philosophical musinge for today
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

One of the ugliest bottles IMO:

but one of my "5/5's". I love it but that bottle.........................

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Thumbs down Re: Bottle sells more than the scent

Here's how I think it works...

First, a large cosmetics company decides that they want to produce a fragrance for profit. Then, executives decide exactly what market to target, based on past sales history. Then, they decide what "image" the product will represent, and design a flashy bottle and an ad campaign/marketing strategy. Then, they see which scent combinations seem to be selling well in the current market and design a scent that they simply think will sell the most.

I'm sure you've noticed, that no where do I describe any in-depth appreciation of perfumery or for that matter, any consideration other than money.

This is how dog sh*t scents like kenneth cole reaction, nautica blue, cool water XXX, etc. are born. We're going to have to rely on the niche perfumeries to provide us with quality products that aren't simply created for the sake of profit, or start making them ourselves! This perfectly parallels the music industry, if you ask me. Does Ashley Simpson really deserve to be mass-exposed because of her supposed vocal talent? I don't think so. Joe Simpson, her father (and mass media mogul) realized that he could pimp out his daughters to society for profit. This absolutely disgusts me, but I wish I would have thought of it first!

You're right, of course. Procter & Gamble doesn't care whether they're producing a toilet cleaner or a fragrance, the profit motive and the underlying marketing mechanisms are the same. In the same way most noses, I would assume, are not artists but engineers who get an order to produce XYZ and deliver. Jean-Claude Ellena may be a genius but he'll produce mass market boredom if he gets paid for it (like some pretty awful UDV frags).
    Of course even Shiseido wouldn't be indulging Lutens, if that weren't turning a hefty profit (financially or at least by immensly increasing the stature and thus value of the brand).
    In the end however, that system does produce some pretty nice perfumes, together with mountains of schlock. I'm no friend of capitalism, but I suspect COMECON did not produce a single significant scent in its heyday ( the food, the clothing, the booze were awful, too - except for Czech beer)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

The "system' does, in fact turn out some wonderful things. I even suppose there is an element of entertainment or self-gratification (that I and many others enjoy) that comes with buying into the marketing of a fragrance or product. But at least I can see that it exists. I like the fact that when I pick up my dunhill cologne and use it, that it makes me think of classy, well-kept brittish gentlemen from "old-fashioned" times and expensive race car parts from the early days. When I used to wear a lot of Abercrombie clothing in high school, I'm sure I was buying into the whole idea of the hometown American Abercrombie image. My girlfriend is way crazy about this sort of thing. She works at Express clothing store and just about all of her clothing is from there. She has an insatiable craving for Coach bags, Prada purses, you know, all the stuff you see on Sex in the City (which btw, I was forced to watch last night) and will be quick to try to justify the $1000 price tag on an otherwise normal, good quality purse.

The TRUTH is, and I hope I'm stating the obvious, is that it's all an illusion. The dunhill smells good to me, but probably only cost $3 to produce, and the coach bags aren't really even that much higher quality than something you could find at wal-mart. We somehow justify spending the money on the IDEA of the product, even more so than the product itself! Combine that with the desire to "fit in" or have commonality with people we consider high-class or somehow superior (ex. celebrities, rich people), and you have the recipe for the marketing strategy for most of the goods we bring into our lives.

Oh well, things cost what they cost, and unless we all start making our own clothing, fragrances, furnature, music, etc. we will have to dance to the twisted little tune of the marketing executives who subliminally control our lives to some extent (some obviously more than others).

People today are generally passive enough to simply select from the options that are presented to them. If you play a song on the radio four billion times, people (society) will become familiarized with it to the extent that they almost have no choice but to like it. I take pride in finding my own options, resources, culture, products, etc. and applying that to my life to help me be more of a unique individual.

I am almost turned-off when I see people with overblown logos on their clothing and accessories. Nothing says "shallow bitch" more to me than a woman wearing chanel sunglasses with huge logos on the sides. Nobody cares that you can afford it; you're playing to an audience that isn't listening. And the only people who actually judge people based on this type of thing are so incredibly shallow that I, for one, can immediately write them off!

Ok, I'm done ranting. But I have a feeling that my audience (basenotes) are also quite keen to this game as well. May we all see through the veil of bullsh*t that is being marketed to us. Don't let media and marketing spoon-feed you your identity.

Perhaps the ultimate example?

http://www.urbanretreat-harrods.co.u...ristian&pg=282

"Limited edition of 10 Imperial Majesty perfume bottles in Baccarat crystal with crown granted by Queen Victoria. Containing 500ml of Clive Christian No. 1, the world's most expensive perfume, set with 5 carat brilliant cut white diamond in a solid gold collar."

For people with more money than sense methinks!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Oh my God, I have to have it!!!

I love this thread.When I first got into fragrances,I had this problem.I would imagine a beautiful bottle sitting on my dresser. It just looks good especially when you have more than the average person. Its good for conversation.Anyway, in the beggining I guess I wasnt sure what I really like in a fragrance,but I was sure of a nice bottle.One day the question popped in my head,"Are you collecting bottles of fragrances?"Now Im no longer tempted by bottles of designer names.It is great to find a great bottle with a great juice inside.Two of my favorites are Pi and Desire.Im sure its not the bottles with these.Recently, I was tempted by Givenchys Very Irresistable.Not a bad scent but not good enough just for the green liquid filled bottle.Quality over quantity.I always thought it would be nice to own 100 bottles.I will not reach this mark anytime soon.Im very discerning.

Curious has a really pretty bottle, and I think the little sprayer thing had a lot to do with it too.
    Looking for Partial or Full Bottles Of:
    Silver Mountain Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Scent of Peace

PM me please.