Code of Conduct

Default Public service - eBay creed  experiences

It's because of this forum, and what I've read from users here that I've fallen in love with Creed. Having no previous exposure, and little money to burn flagrantly, I turned to eBay to get a sense of what Creed was about. I got some samples, and loved them. Then, I decided to go for some auctions to get a larger size.

I've read the stories here about gray markets, gray markets gone bad, etc.

I was hoping some of you with eBay experiences (and even experiences with other retailers of the discounted stuff) might share your stories. Why? Save the people getting into this awesome fragrance house the hassle of dealing with "Bad" bottles if they are realy budget constrained. I know some will say, you should just get the real thing for retail from a distrubutor. From now on I probably will, but this is for the people who will inevitably go the eBay way if their budget restricts them. This is a public service post for those individuals.

Here are mine thus far:

eBay user 786hoodas - I ordered a lot of 6 1.5mL samples from him to get a sense of what scent might be right for me. Everything was in order, it was shipped well, FAST, and I fell in love with SMW, MI, and Himalaya. I also received Bois du Portugal, Original Vetiver, and Green Irish Tweed. All fragrances were, as far as my nose could tell, fantastic, though some more right for me than others. His decanting source, from his eBay history appears to be creeddirect, who I didnt order from at the time of my below purchases because he didnt have any auctions going for what I wanted. My rating ***** (5 of 5 stars)

eBay user fragrancealley - I received today a 4oz Silver Mountain Water. Non-tester. Packaging appeared authentic, had 3 areas that had parts removed via a small knife. No arabic insert. Pump was not yet primed (it was unused previously). Scent: it smelled rancid, sour. I could tell that the notes I loved so much from the above mentioned samples were there, but they were overpowered by an acidic sour smell. I don't think this is a fake, but rather a bottle that for some reason had gone bad (storage, heat, etc.). After I washed it off with soap (fragrances never completely wash off with soap for me), the good notes were still there, and the rancid note was mor or less gone. I'm thinking... this WAS at one time SMW, but isn't anymore. I am awaiting a reply about return. Was going to submit a feedback rating, to find that just today somone else had posted about their bottle of Spring Flowers as being bad. I emailed the person and he replied that the seller was not responding to his emails for some time, and then finally said that he would take it back with a 20% restocking fee, which was not indicated on the auction which guaranteed moneyback minus shipping. Waiting to hear back. Rating: 0 stars of 5

eBay user perfumeinc: Won an auction this weekend for a 4oz bottle of Millesime Imperial. I will report how this goes.

For those who have done the eBay Creed thing, please post your experiences. It will save people money, guide them towards educated purchases, and help them better consideration whether retail merchants (Neiman Marcus, Parfums Raffy) is worth it afterall (for me, at this point it seems like it might be).

From other posts, I have heard good things about creedirect and parfums raffy. I have heard that dragonfly00 decants are good. I have heard mixed opinions about scentiments and perfumebay (for Creed). For what it is worth, I have also heard that bad bottles can appear at the authorized retailers as well. Additional opinions, experiences to support, refute these would be good.

I don't even care if you disagree with my comments, let us know so people can make more educated choices!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Public service - eBay creed *experiences

I've gotten stuff from 786hoodas before and I've really liked their stuff. It wasn't Creed, though.

I got a great bottle of Original Vetiver from allshewants. Great shipping time & great product. The box had not been tampered w/ or anything.

*Sigh* I'm sorry to break it too you, but I got a bottle of MI from PerfumeInc that wasn't so good. It was pleasant enough...but it seemed to be REALLY flat w/ no silliage, unlike other samples I've MI that I've tried. Luckily, they have a great return policy & they were prompt to issue a refund. HOPEFULLY you'll get a better bottle than the one I got, but if you don't, rest assured that getting a refund through them is really easy.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Default Re: Public service - eBay creed  experiences

Thanks for the reply, CologneJunkie!

I'll hold out hope that what I receive from perfumeinc is good. If not, I will report back. It is from what I've read on this site regarding their returns that prompted me to take a chance on it. (Though, if there was a combined post like this, with your story weighed with others, I might not hav!) The chance I took on fragrancealley was from their resoundingly positive feedback for other colognes/perfumes and the guarantee they provided on the listing (which may or may be false advertising, I havent heard back yet). In retrospect, I probably should have looked for feedback on Creed products specifically.

Again, this post is not meant for me to gripe and moan about getting bad juice. I knew the risks having read the posts and gambled with the expectation that things might not turn out as they should. My thinking is that a consolidated thread might hone the options available for those still willing to go the eBay route. Save others trouble and frustration and help them find their own scentual nirvana!

So far, this lesson has taught me:
    1) Look for prior feedback for prior CREED offerings as opposed to general feedback on other items
    2) Look for a good return policy just in case things don't go your way
    3) Know that the ingredients are reportedly sensitive to going "bad", and you may end up with such a batch from gray market or by some reports even authorized resellers. Know the chance you are taking.

Blog Entries

I for one think it's a great idea. I don't have the $$$ to spend on a retail bottle of Creed, or even bottles that are slightly discounted from online retailers for that matter. Ebay seemed to be my only option.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

dragonfly00 decants are excellent. Don't hesitate to buy from this seller.

I hate to bring this controversial subject up again, but certain Creeds really do smell different from lot to lot. And I don't think it's any fault on the vendor. There are those here that think this is total nonesense, but I can only speak from my experience.

I've sniffed SMW from several sources (from both online and NM) and each of them smelled different. This ranged from the gamut of a rotten wine smell to an exquisite sparkling scent. MI and BdP also seem to vary, albeit much more subtly.

I know that this is not my imagination nor the power of suggestion from others that share my experience. I was very skeptical at first, which is what prompted me to conduct my little experiment. I even conducted a little blind study with SMW on other people, and the verdict was the same.

I'm not sure if these inherent differences in certain Creeds come from the Millesime harvests or from the lack of QA/QC. My only remedy and suggestion is to be sure you sample from the exact bottle you'll be purchasing.

#

I bought a tester Creed SMW from a seller named myscentshop for $49.99 INCLUDING shipping (now how often is that?) and it was safe to say I got a good bottle, and she shipped quickly. The only thing that put me in a panic was that because this bottle didn't have a cap, some of the juice was released during shipping. It had one of those generic carboard insert thing around it but it didn't really hold it in place. I thought I received a leaky bottle when I opened it, but it wasn't the case, or else my drawer would've reeked of SMW. Looked at the level of the liquid with a light behind it and it was a full bottle (phew!). No complaints here, just lucky I managed to get a bottle with quite a substantial savings, especially shipping!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I have a rancid bottle of SMW but was away for 5 weeks when it arrived, and the return date had expired by the time I got to smelling it.

I'm going to order another bottle via Ebay with a seller of EXTREMELY high feedback and a good return policy. Looking out for Creed-specific feedback is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    I hate to bring this controversial subject up again, but certain Creeds really do smell different from lot to lot. *And I don't think it's any fault on the vendor. *There are those here that think this is total nonesense, but I can only speak from my experience.

I've sniffed SMW from several sources (from both online and NM) and each of them smelled different. *This ranged from the gamut of a rotten wine smell to an exquisite sparkling scent. *MI and BdP also seem to vary, albeit much more subtly.

I know that this is not my imagination nor the power of suggestion from others that share my experience. *I was very skeptical at first, which is what prompted me to conduct my little experiment. *I even conducted a little blind study with SMW on other people, and the verdict was the same.

I'm not sure if these inherent differences in certain Creeds come from the Millesime harvests or from the lack of QA/QC. *My only remedy and suggestion is to be sure you sample from the exact bottle you'll be purchasing. *

#

Yeah, I'll have to agree with Octo on that one. I've also tested SMW in many different ways and when I did they all smelt somewhat different, but there drydowns where all the same. Try testing your SMW again and have it on for about 3 hours. I think it will all come to place then.

Octothorpe and Nsamandi-

I agree that based on the makeup of these fragrances that they might vary from batch to batch, and I might even go so far as to say that I expect it. However, there is definitely something wrong with the SMW I received. It has a very bitter, metallic and acerbic top. This would not have passed ANY decent quality control as it is actually unpleasant. To me, to my family, to my friends. Nsamandi suggested that the drydown after 3 hours would be the same. As a matter of fact, it is. It is identical. Well, letting it sit for a bit, and washing it with soap and water leaves an identical side by side comparison at least. I suppose I could spray myself down with it and THEN take a shower, because it would then smell on target, but to go through that certainly isnt what I paid for.

Again, I'm convinced that this WAS good juice at some point in time. Something just happened to it. Whether it is years old, whether it came from storage in the desert for 3 years, I don't know. A lot of these potential reasons/causes are possibly hidden by those 3 spots on the box that are cut out.

I read some things about sticking it in the fridge. Might as well give that a shot as well.

Nevertheless, please continue sharing your eBay buying experiences. I still think this is a good thread for new eBay Creed purchasers.

Quote Originally Posted by nitto
    Octothorpe and Nsamandi-

I agree that based on the makeup of these fragrances that they might vary from batch to batch, and I might even go so far as to say that I expect it. However, there is definitely something wrong with the SMW I received. It has a very bitter, metallic and acerbic top. This would not have passed ANY decent quality control as it is actually unpleasant. To me, to my family, to my friends. *Nsamandi suggested that the drydown after 3 hours would be the same. As a matter of fact, it is. It is identical. *Well, letting it sit for a bit, and washing it with soap and water leaves an identical side by side comparison at least. I suppose I could spray myself down with it and THEN take a shower, because it would then smell on target, but to go through that certainly isnt what I paid for.

Again, I'm convinced that this WAS good juice at some point in time. Something just happened to it. Whether it is years old, whether it came from storage in the desert for 3 years, I don't know. A lot of these potential reasons/causes are possibly hidden by those 3 spots on the box that are cut out.

I read some things about sticking it in the fridge. Might as well give that a shot as well.

Nevertheless, please continue sharing your eBay buying experiences. I still think this is a good thread for new eBay Creed purchasers.
    I might be wrong but this is what I think. Usually decanted samples tend to smell slighty different then the actually juice in the sealed bottle. When making a sample you basically spray into a sample vial from the actual sealed bottle. You see right off the bat the fragrance oil is already exposed to air maybe causing the topnotes to fanish right there already. Your probably now left with a mix of the middle/base notes. Decanted samples aren't always the best because I think they don't show off the whole affect of a certain scent. Maybe that bitter, metallic and acerbic top was worn off throught the process of decanting. I also kind of thought decanting often altered a scent a bit or made the topnotes vanish, but I could be wrong. The sample vial you had basically smells like the basenotes of the bottle you received in the mail. Again I could be wrong but this is what I think.

Wanted to post an update.

Stay away from eBay seller "fragrancealley". He is refusing to honor what he listed as:
    100% Satisfaction Guarantee - If for any reason you are not happy with our product, you may return the item in the same shape your received it for a full money back less shipping. He assures me that its real, that he has reliable suppliers, so on so forth, but wont let me return it because of my dissatisfaction with how this fragrance isn't quite on spot with the sample I have (metallic and acidic topnot)

eBay seller "perfumeinc". I received a bottle of Himalaya from them (made a mistake posting MI earlier). Smells great, new bottle (pump wasnt yet primed). Rather than cut out the date and arabic, they just put a sticker on it. So, you can actually peel it back and see what year it is (my Himalaya was 2002). Was shipped in excellent packing via Priority Mail.

Finally, regarding the fragrancealley SMW I received, with the top notes that seem off and the drydown that is spot on... Since this guy is not letting me return it without a fight, and since I'm afraid after returning it the crook wont refund my money, I'll offer the whole 4oz bottle to anyone who wants it. $25+shipping ($28.50 priority mail). Great opportunity for a great deal for those who think I might be just too picky with the comparison between this and my sample. Just PM me!

The only way I would EVER buy a bottle of Creed is to buy it retail and open it and test it before I ever left the store. More power to you ebayers but I've heard too many horror stories and have actually had bad bottles at retail stores too.

Seems that any online retailer has to be a masochist to deal with Creeds given the prevalence of "bad" bottles.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.