Code of Conduct

Default Greenbriar Cologne by Caswell-Massey

What an incredible work of art Greenbriar Cologne turned out to be!

I received it as a gift sample, and it's a one of the best fragrances I have smelled in a while.
    Curiously, I find that it has a lot in common with Chanel Platinum Egoiste, but I like it much better after doing a side-by-side comparison.
    Greenbriar gets much warmer with its green notes than the Platinum Egoiste, and is more inviting.

Here is the description from the back of the box:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Caswell-Massey's Greenbriar honors our heritage as America's original chemists and perfumers in a fragrance whose scent is clean, fresh, and masculine.
    Greenbriar Cologne is an exciting blend of Petitgrain, Mandarin, and Ozone on top, that opens to notes of French lavender, and Russian Sage.
    The drydown is an accord of Patchouli, Cool Musk, and labdanum Absolute.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

This cologne is definitely on my next order.

Default Re: Greenbriar Cologne by Caswell-Massey

Personally, I think it blows.
    The new stuff, anyway. Smells like a Cool Water clone.
    The vintage juice, however -- different story. Got me a bottle for half-price when they "retired" it a few months back.
    I still wonder what the heck's going on at Caswell-Massey. Some big sucko corporation buy them out? First they destroyed Newport, then they destroyed Greenbriar... Hope they don't screw up Tricorn next. Well, part of me hopes they do, so they'll "retire" the existing stock at discount prices!
    So you can see I'm torn.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    The vintage juice, however -- different story. *Got me a bottle for half-price when they "retired" it a few months back. *
    Hey Coleman,

I didn't realize that there was a vintage version of Greenbriar out there. Could you take a peek at the two links below and tell me what the difference between the two is?

http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/c0/42/fa_1_b.JPG
    http://tinyurl.com/arkuf

Thanks.

Well your top link is the original juice, which I think the Basenotes brain says Caswell-Massey came out with in 1984.
    Your bottom link is the newly "reformulated" Greenbriar which just came out earlier this year I believe.
    Original: *grassy, outdoorsy, strong masculine fragrance. *It's got the presence of its time (the 80s) -- for the grownups, not for the kids. *If you know what I mean. *Something of Polo and Azzaro PH both floating around in there. *Good stuff.
    New juice: *Another semi-sweet, fruitish acquaticesque (yeah, those are words!) number for the twenty-something crowd. *Put me strongly in mind of Cool Water. *And that just ain't my thing. *
    As always: *just one man's opinion here, and to each his own and all that!

Well your top link is the original juice, which I think the Basenotes brain says Caswell-Massey came out with in 1984.
    Your bottom link is the newly "reformulated" Greenbriar which just came out earlier this year I believe.
    Original: *grassy, outdoorsy, strong masculine fragrance. *It's got the presence of its time (the 80s) -- for the grownups, not for the kids. *If you know what I mean. *Something of Polo and Azzaro PH both floating around in there. *Good stuff.
    New juice: *Another semi-sweet, fruitish acquaticesque (yeah, those are words!) number for the twenty-something crowd. *Put me strongly in mind of Cool Water. *And that just ain't my thing. *
    As always: *just one man's opinion here, and to each his own and all that!
    Thanks for clariyfing that Coleman. I assume then that you like the original one shown on the top link?
    By the way, I've never tried Cool Water ...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    Thanks for clariyfing that Coleman. I assume then that you like the original one shown on the top link?
    By the way, I've never tried Cool Water ...LOL
    You're welcome! *And yessir, your assumption is correct. *The original is the one for me. *And if you've never tried Cool Water -- in all honesty you probably should. *If you do like the new Greenbriar, you'll probably like Cool Water too. *They do smell similar to me. *And a couple other people here mentioned it, too. *The similarity, I mean. *I think K agreed with me on that point. *

I've found all of the C-M scents to be cheap smelling IMO. I liked the old Greenbriar when I first applied it, but in a few minutes it turned nasty and cheap smelling.
    The only C-M I can stand to wear is Verbena, and even that is far from a favorite.
    A while ago, they changed their shaving creams, and they're no longer very good. Now, they seem bent on destroying what was left of their colognes.
    Rick

Personally, I think it blows.
    The new stuff, anyway. *Smells like a Cool Water clone. *
    The vintage juice, however -- different story. *Got me a bottle for half-price when they "retired" it a few months back. *
    I still wonder what the heck's going on at Caswell-Massey. *Some big sucko corporation buy them out? *First they destroyed Newport, then they destroyed Greenbriar... *Hope they don't screw up Tricorn next. *Well, part of me hopes they do, so they'll "retire" the existing stock at discount prices! *
    So you can see I'm torn.
    Ditto. I had the same exact impression when I tried the new Greenbriar @ Short Hills a couple of months ago. I think I put the card down in disgust and said "Cool Water" in a peremptory manner after I tried it. Rude of me, I know, but I was pissed. (Although I do like Cool Water.)

Vintage Greenbriar is nothing like the new stuff. It is actually, uh, green for one thing and wonderfully herbal. There is a slight amber note in it, and is one of CM's longer lasting frags. Spawn of Antaeus and Gucci Nobile. I got a bottle of the vintage stuff on ebay recently for a rather decent price. I think the juice they have in the 0.15 mini vials is actually the vintage juice from when I talked to the SA (who was actually helpful) at CM.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Well *in the past,thanks a great friend ,i had the opportunity in try some fragances of this house,he sent me a beatiful set in a wonderful box (6 mini-bottles) one bottle are GREENBRIAR,anybody can tell me if the juice of the bottle was NEW O VINTAGE edition? *

thanks in advance
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini
    Well *in the past,thanks a great friend ,i had the opportunity in try some fragances of this house,he sent me a beatiful set in a wonderful box (6 mini-bottles) one bottle are GREENBRIAR,anybody can tell me if the juice of the bottle was NEW O VINTAGE edition? *

thanks in advance
    How long ago did he send you the mini-bottles? I believe the new Greenbriar came along late last year.
    When I talked with a sales associate at a Caswell-Massey store a couple of months ago, she said that the mini had the vintage Greenbriar, so there is a good chance the mini you have is the vintage Greenbriar, not the new one.

The new Greenbriar does smell like Cool Water ... vintage Greenbriar is a totally different scent. It is not a "tweaking" or slight modification of the scent, the old and new are wildly different scents.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Thank you for his explanation Mr K,well now i,m sure that it is Vintage,i smell now and here nothing like Cool Water,is a potent green smell,and for my surprise very refinied,my taste change for the "green fragances".
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Unhappy Re: Greenbriar Cologne by Caswell-Massey

I agree with Mister K - the old and new are wildly different. I'd add that one difference is that the new is boring and, at best, average. Rather cheap smelling I thought after trying it. If CM invested as much in promoting vintage Greenbriar as they obviously did replacing it and expanding the line, I wonder if they would have changed it at all.
    GM