Code of Conduct

Default What happened to my Coriolan???

When I recently bought Coriolan I wasn’t sure what to expect. I had previously tested it and it must have been a bad bottle as it seemed quite “off”. It was very peppery and quite nasty. After that testing, I read here that many people seemed to dislike this fragrance and they described it as being similar to what I tested. Recently, I began a Guerlain journey and being that Coriolan can be had for excellent prices on the net, I gave it another shot. To my surprise, it is an amazing chypre. When I received it a few weeks ago, the top notes seemed so fresh, just like standing under a lemon tree. I used it again this morning and it was quite different. That same “peppery” accord was there and it was not as fresh. It’s certainly not as “off” as the first bottle I tested and this pepperiness did subside and it dropped into it’s familiar top/mid notes and now it is as pleasant as ever and it’s usual self. Is this fragrance that fickle/volatile? Surely it hasn’t gone bad in a few weeks but what happened to that initial, beautiful citric blast? Was it a figment of my imagination?

Default Re: What happened to my Coriolan???

Hi evogel
    I bought a bottle about a month ago and cannot yet bring myself to wear it! I am not sure why.

Perhaps the difficult and over-designed bottle is off-putting? Perhaps the fact that it is a splash (are they all?) also worries me - how much to apply? But most of all I am not sure if I like it for the reasons you have stated. I do not detect any lemons but a rather unapproachable peppery fragrance. For once the good de Charlus seems to me at least to have slipped up (see Directory).

Trot

Quote Originally Posted by Trotsky
    Perhaps the fact that it is a splash (are they all?)
    Huh? Mine wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    [quote author=Trotsky link=1126615884/0#1 date=1126620453]Perhaps the fact that it is a splash (are they all?)
    Huh? Mine wasn't.[/quote]
    As with one or two Guerlains I have there is a small diagram on the box to show how to open the bottle. Basically you 'flip' the top up to reveal a small opening about the size of that on a Trumper bottle. At first I thought 'sh*t I have broken it' but the box simply says 'Eau de Toilette PH' and no ref to vaporisateur. So a splash for sure!

Trot

Mine is a spray under the flip top. I haven't worn it a lot so I can't comment on its variability.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Yup! Coriolan's really fickle- at least on me!
    I first tried this one winter and was suprised at how quickly the lemon tree leaf and juniper notes faded, leaving heavy sweet red flowers on a sort of Heritage base. It works a lot better on warm moist summer skin. And as far as I can tell, Coriolan HATES fabric. If I spray it on my chest, the residue on my shirt turns really acrid and nasty. [smiley=shocked.gif]
    You'll just have to experiment with application techniques: chest, neck, crooks of elbows, wrists, clean skin, moisturised skin, even "au naturale" skin (pH might be an issue) [smiley=huh.gif]
    I'd start by prepping the neck area with a bit of moisturiser, then try to avoid your collar when you spray.
    If all else fails, the closest scent to Coriolan is probably Cerruti 1881 (original) and, for me, it works well - anywhere, anytime [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

G

Thanks for the replies guys. My bottle is indeed a spray with the flip top. Bottle is hard to hold on to when I spray.
    Gavinchy, I agree that it hates fabric. My shirt got weird today but after work a change of shirt kind of revived the scent. I missed that lemon tree leaf this morning. I wonder if that's why it is discontinued? I would suppose that many tried it out and got this nasty, funktified accord that was not really supposed to be built in to the scent.
    I hope the next time I wear it, it reverts back to it's old self. Trot you gotta give it the old college try. I know you like Nino Cerruti and this one is a great chypre too...when it's on. [smiley=grin.gif]

Eric

I've owned a 50mL spritzer bottle of Coriolan, and the fragrance remained well-preserved through the years. Never had any problems with it, and sadly, that bottle is empty now.

I was happy to learn that my brother got a 100mL (splash) for very little money in a cheap drugstore; of course I had to try it. But for some reason the opening notes don't smell as good to me as my old bottle once did: it is as if the citrussy opening faded a bit, just like Eric said. I've never had that problem with my own bottle, but I fully understand what Eric says. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, too. Weird.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Wearing it today for the first time. It does have similarities with both 1881 PH and Nino Cerruti PH. At this stage I prefer both the Cerrutis. I did not detect the fresh opening, just a rather sour note as described by many of you. However I do have a general problem with Guerlains - one day I will love one the next time I won't - so I shall persevere.

Trot

Neither fresh nor pleasant, I understand why they discontinued this one. I got one of those cheap closeouts a couple years ago and sat on it. Everytime I tried it I almost gagged. Cheap looking bottle too.

Quote Originally Posted by scenthound
    Neither fresh nor pleasant, I understand why they discontinued this one. I got one of those cheap closeouts a couple years ago and sat on it. Everytime I tried it I almost gagged. Cheap looking bottle too.
    Its now 1700 and have been wearing it for eight hours with a light top up after lunch. Its not really unpleasant to me but neither does it inspire me. It seems somewhat 'linear' in its development and I certainly agree about the bottle.
    Trot

Footnote: Now this is very odd! My wife insists on taking no interest in what she considers a suspect hobby for a man, namely my fragrance addiction. However, perhaps three times in the last year she has complimented me on a new scent. It happened tonight at dinner. She asked what is that warm and 'snuggly' scent you are wearing?! It was of course Coriolan!

The other two occasions? SSD II day last year I was wearing Vetiver Guerlain on holiday in Norfolk. The other time was last summer in Belfast when I had just applied my new Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune purchased at the airport on the way. So its Guerlain! And yet she has no Guerlain in her own (large-ish) wardrobe. Strange?

Trot