Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Slightly off topic: unscented deodorant

I would have posted this in the grooming forum, but my query has more to do with the usage of unscented deodorant as an aid to fragrance.

I have had so much trouble finding an unscented deodorant that works. I sweat quite a bit and I've never found an unscented deodorant that can actually make BO unnoticeable. I've tried Mitchum and Sure with no luck. Sure was OK, worked for about 4 hours but I don't want to have to re-apply so often. Mitchum was terrible, I stunk after like 30 minutes.

I actually (gasp!) bought a women's (unscented) deodorant today at CVS - Secret Platinum - because I've heard it's really, really good.

Degree works really well for me, but the smell is so strong that when I'm sweating a lot it "kicks in" and overpowers my SOTD.

What unscented deodorants work for you, or do you wear a scented one anyway?

Default Re: Slightly off topic: unscented deodorant

I use a deodorant crystal. I can't remember which one I bought, just that I got it at Whole Foods. It works really well for me.

RTbar

old spice makes a red zone deodorant/antiperspirent that is unscented

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsational
    I use a deodorant crystal. I can't remember which one I bought, just that I got it at Whole Foods. It works really well for me.
    I guess you are talking about a deo crystal made out of Ammonium Alum, that's what I use and I am pretty happy with it. It has no scent and works flawless, an application every 12 hours is more than sufficient for me.
    The very strict and highly established German consumer protection magazine ÷ko-Test (eco-test) gave an Ammonium Alum (A.A. is the only ingredient - so I guess the company doesn't matter) crystal stick deo the grade "good".
    Just for reference:
    Of almost 80 tested deodorants in the last year (established national and international branded articles), only 1/4 got the grades "very good" and "good", about 1/3 were declared as "poor" or "unsatisfactory" (6 grades in total, main emphasis of the test were harmful to health or possible allergenic ingredients)

Mitchum gel deodorant/anti-perspirent has been great for me! Lasting over 24 hours, no odor at all, and no whitish substance on my clothes!

Jeff

dr_spine

Ren, I've been using Secret Platinum unscented also. It works pretty well. I guess it's ok that it's a women's deodorant, just keep it a "Secret"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H.
    Mitchum gel deodorant/anti-perspirent has been great for me! Lasting over 24 hours, no odor at all, and no whitish substance on my clothes!

Jeff
    Ditto! It is the best stuff there is!

I've become a convert to the crystal. I sweat a lot and I find that ANY conventional deoderant or antiperspirant leaves a residue on my clothes, whether it is a clear gel, stick or roll-on. The crystal is the only one that doesn't.

I also find it a very effective deoderant, however it is not an antiperspirant at all. This isn't a problem for me since I've never found antiperspirants to noticeably reduce the amount that I sweat.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

From what I've heard Mitchum is probably the strongest thing at there to buy on the market. You see Deodorants contain a chemical called Aluminum Zirconium Glycine. The more of this, the stronger the deodorant. Mitchum contains something around 28% on this stuff. I think that's the strongest thing you can buy on the market today. If that doesn't work then maybe you should seek a doctor in order to get prescription deodorant.

I'm happy this thread came up. I have hyperhydrosis which means I have a terrible problem with sweating. I have very acidic sweat and I even sweat when I'm not active (quite embarassing when I'm just sitting there in an air conditioned classroom). This also attributes to my problem with scents not lasting on my skin. With that being said, I've never found a deodorant/anti-perspirant that worked for me...until I discovered a product called "Certain Dri". It contains Aluminum Chloride which shrinks the pores of your arm pits so you don't perspire there. Since perspiration is what causes BO, you won't have that problem because you eliminate the source. What I find unique about it is that you actually apply it before you go to bed. While you sleep, it gets absorbed into your pores. When you wake up the next morning, you don't have to worry about reapplying even if you take a shower. It stays in your skin. You only apply again before going to sleep that night. It's the only product that's worked for me and I've tried every deodorant on the market. BTW you can find it at most convenience stores such as Walmart, Walgreens, etc. It costs about $5 for a 1.2 oz bottle. I swear by this stuff.
    Note: You have to use it for 2-3 days before seeing results.

I just slap some old spice under my pits and i'm good to go for several days.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I use the Mitcham spray or roll on. The Lab series antiperspirant stick is great, but a lot more expensive. And the Clinique antiperspirant stick works well to.

The other alternative is to use any antiperspirant that works. Have a shower, apply it, go to bed. Their effects usually last for 24 hours, but their scent would have long gone by the time you woke up.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I'm happy this thread came up. I have hyperhydrosis which means I have a terrible problem with sweating. I have very acidic sweat and I even sweat when I'm not active (quite embarassing when I'm just sitting there in an air conditioned classroom). This also attributes to my problem with scents not lasting on my skin. With that being said, I've never found a deodorant/anti-perspirant that worked for me...until I discovered a product called "Certain Dri". It contains Aluminum Chloride which shrinks the pores of your arm pits so you don't perspire there. Since perspiration is what causes BO, you won't have that problem because you eliminate the source. What I find unique about it is that you actually apply it before you go to bed. While you sleep, it gets absorbed into your pores. When you wake up the next morning, you don't have to worry about reapplying even if you take a shower. It stays in your skin. You only apply again before going to sleep that night. It's the only product that's worked for me and I've tried every deodorant on the market. BTW you can find it at most convenience stores such as Walmart, Walgreens, etc. It costs about $5 for a 1.2 oz bottle. I swear by this stuff.
    Note: You have to use it for 2-3 days before seeing results.
    funny you brought Certain Dri up.

I use it too! I, unfortunately, haven't had the best reuslts with it. I'd say it eliminated about 60% of my sweat. I never have problems with pit stains anymore (thank god!), BUT - I'm still "moist" pretty much all day.

Maybe I should give another try to the crystal. I have the crystal in rollon form and it worked fairly well, but not fantastic. Maybe I should just give in and do reapplication every few hours. How embarassing, though...

I used to wear Mitchum and various others over the years but the best so far which I have been using for the last year and the half is Right Guard Unperfumed for Women.....leaves no stains . white marks at all!!!!!!!!!

If you concerned about the chemicals in antiperspirant deo and just want an unperfumed deo, may I suggest King of Shaves.

Try American Crew Sport. Super dry!

Antiperspirants are not healthy because of hte aluminum content! *

The crystal also has aluminum.

I've just found the following 2 products do an amazing job,

Kiss My Face Active Enzyme. Buy it a Whole Foods. It has enzymes that nuetralize odors.

Earth Sciences Liken Deodorant. The extract from a lichen plant prevents the growth of odor causing bacteria.

Both these products easily last all day.

Avoid anything with aluminum. This includes ALL anti-perspirants.

I third (fourth?) the Mitchum recommendations. I've used it for years, and every time I've switched I've been disappointed. I sweat like a maniac, and this is the only brand that consistently keeps me smell-free.

I used to be worried about aluminum, but I recently read a study (forgot where) that concluded the aluminum in OTC anti-perspirants is essentially harmless. Right now my only complaint is clothing residue, which even the Mitchum unscented clear gel hasn't eliminated totally.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Why not combine an unscented deo with your SOTD. I've found that this works best if you spray each underarm

with 1 or 2 shots of fragrance before you apply the deodorant. The alcohol and the essential oils in the fragrance

destroys much of the odor causing bacteria that developes throughout the course of the day.

Note : it does tend to sting a little the first couple of times you try it but after about a week that should subside

disclaimer: If discoloration or rash developes discontinue use and please consult your physician [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    I third (fourth?) the Mitchum recommendations. I've used it for years, and every time I've switched I've been disappointed. I sweat like a maniac, and this is the only brand that consistently keeps me smell-free.

I used to be worried about aluminum, but I recently read a study (forgot where) that concluded the aluminum in OTC anti-perspirants is essentially harmless. Right now my only complaint is clothing residue, which even the Mitchum unscented clear gel hasn't eliminated totally.

I also only use Mitchum. Like Scentsei, everytime I've tried to switch to something else, I'll always go back to Mitchum.

Regards,
    Steve

Yes not easy if you are not matching your edt or it is not available you have got the problem of not wanting to CLASH with your scent

yes Clinique is not bad and unfortunatly spending a little more sometimes gives you more protection but not a general rule

good luck for you search

laurent
    Invisible Power

Another vote for unscented Mitchum gel here!

I also use Certain Dri 3 times a week. *I don't think i have a sweating problem but any sweat is too much sweat as far as i'm concerned. <Edit> Should mention I live in South Florida - 98F and 105% humidity....ugh.

I also would like to add a bit of a rant here. What happened to clear solids??!! I know there are a few still available but when the gels came out some time ago, clear solids almost disappeared. My favorite was Ban. Very difficult to find now even online. And contrary to what they all proclaim ("goes on clear!&quot, I have yet to find a solid stick that doesn't leave a white mess. What's with the gels?! I think its a marketing scam. My gel (Mitchum) seems to disappear much faster than the same-size-container clear solids ever did. Plus, part of the point is to stop wetness. Yet, with a gel, I have to wait to put my shirt on while my COLD, WET underarms dry.

GRRR

sorry

thx for listening

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    Another vote for unscented Mitchum gel here!

I also use Certin Dri 3 times a week. *I don't think i have a sweating problem but any sweat is too much sweat as far as i'm concerned.

I also would like to add a bit of a rant here. What happened to clear solids??!! I know there are a few still available but when the gels came out some time ago, clear solids almost disappeared. My favorite was Ban. Very difficult to find now even online. And contrary to what they all proclaim ("goes on clear!&quot, I have yet to find a solid stick that doesn't leave a white mess. What's with the gels?! I think its a marketing scam. My gel (Mitchum) seems to disappear much faster than the same-size-container clear solids ever did. Plus, part of the point is to stop wetness. Yet, with a gel, I have to wait to put my shirt on while my COLD, WET underarms dry.

GRRR

sorry

thx for listening
    Let me add to the rant...Mitchum Hydro Solid was the best thing since sliced bread...now you can't find it!...

Regards,
    Steve

I may have to check out Certain Dri. Alas, since it's so frigging hot in Miami, I may have to use it all over my body. [smiley=wink.gif]
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    I used to be worried about aluminum, but I recently read a study (forgot where) that concluded the aluminum in OTC anti-perspirants is essentially harmless.

Even if aluminum is harmless, it still works by preventing you from sweating. Sweating is a neccessary function for several reasons.

So why use a chemical that may be unhealthful in and of itself, and, at the least, causes the cessation of a natural, neccessary bodily function. Especially when there are products available that do a phenominal job without aluminum.

Add my subscription to the Mitchum fanclub. I use the unscented gel. (Which my fiancee says "has that great smell." When I pointed out that it was unscented and that she was on drugs, she said she didn't care, it had a great scent. Okay....)

SJAS1962- Just yesterday I saw the hydrostick at CVS, so it is still out there...
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

This is an 'off the wall suggestion' yet meant quite sincerely. I used to sweat a lot and was often on the look out for the perfect product Antiperspirant/Deodorant wise when, quite by mistake, I solved my sweating problem for good.

I gave up smoking.

Since then it has to be hotter than hell or I have to be completely overstressed to even manage to perspire a drop.

We're all dfferent but since I 'solved' my 'Problem' I have heard of others who notice the same phenomenon.

I advise the Non Smoking Perspirers to leave well alone though-The nicotine addiction is too high a price to pay for a risky potential solution to perspiration.

I use the unscented deodorant from Clinique; it's from the same line as M-lotion.

The only problem I have with this stick is that when I use too much, I get white, bubblegum-like chunks on my skin and clothes. But apart from that, it does what it's supposed to do: keep your armpits dry and unscented!

Quote Originally Posted by phersurf
    [quote author=Scentsei link=1126469122/15#18 date=1126546159]I used to be worried about aluminum, but I recently read a study (forgot where) that concluded the aluminum in OTC anti-perspirants is essentially harmless.

Even if aluminum is harmless, it still works by preventing you from sweating. Sweating is a neccessary function for several reasons.

So why use a chemical that may be unhealthful in and of itself, and, at the least, causes the cessation of a natural, neccessary bodily function. Especially when there are products available that do a phenominal job without aluminum.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong--I'm not a fan of anything that antagonizes my body's natural functions (except maybe recreational drugs and alcohol ). However, I'm willing to compromise a little, and walking around Miami dripping in sweat is, frankly, unattractive. When the felt temperature (heat + humidity) runs north of 100 degrees, deodorant alone is all but useless.

Regarding the smoking recommendation--I'm seriously considering that. My best friend--also a smoker--sweats almost as much as I do. We both need to quit a.s.a.p.