Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Aquatic Scent To Wear In A Tropical Country

MABUHAY!!! [smiley=smiley.gif] That is the proverbial greeting here in the Philippines, which means "long live".

Living in a tropical country like ours, where the weather is hot and sticky, requires a scent that cools and refreshes. That is why aquatic fragrances are very popular here in the Philippines. My question is: What do you consider the best aquatic designer fragrance in the market today, and why? No niche fragrances please as they are very hard to find here in the Philippines.

Default Re: Best Aquatic Scent To Wear In A Tropical Count

dunhill desire blue

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Roberto. Well, the simplest reply is Caroline Herrera's 212 h20. It's good and relatively easy to find due to its recent vintage and popularity.

However The Brits have been fooling around with Bay Rum, West Indian Lime and so forth since the 1700's when they were shooting at pirates in the Caribbean, so I expect you'll hear some excellent recommendations (Trafalgar?) along those lines.

What a good question . . .
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Mabuhay!!! Kabayan!

Well it seems you are quite new here, so I would just like to welcome you to Basenotes. Enjoy your stay here.

If your preference is for the aquatic scents and you are limited to the designer's, then I'd like to recommend Rochas Aquaman. Well, maybe its not the best in the market but i do consider it the most unique smelling aquatic. Of course you have the option to buy the more popular Acqua di Gio or Cool Water but you would be smelling like the majority of men here in the Philippines who are also inclined to wear fresh aquatic scents. So might as well be different and have an individualistic attitude towards wearing scents. Besides Aquaman, I can also recommend you the ones from Kenzo, Kenzo pour Homme and L'eau Par Kenzo. They are not also that widely used here. But recently, I think Polo Blue is becoming a very popular aquatic scent. It smells good and I would also recommend it.

Regards,
    John

Creed Erolfa.....it may not be as 'cool or refreshing' as some, but it has great longevity and comes into it's own when by the sea

Sorry, just noticed 'no niche scents'....but try finding it online....

Post Thanks / Like

I have never lived in a tropical climate, but there is a certain member from Singapour who loves to wear Laguna by Dali. I think he has a good point.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

May I suggest frags that are not particularly aquatic but fresh nevertheless?

YSL Live Jazz
    Cartier Declaration
    any of the Gendarmes (is this considered niche? I heard Rustans carries it)

Let me know if you decide to consider the niche / artisanal houses as I have waaaay more recommendations that fall into that category.

Post Thanks / Like

MacCOOL is right. Try Rochas Aquaman and Kenzo Pour Homme.

I'm also a big fan of Higher by Dior. I think it's a nicer alternative to AdG. Swiss Army is also very fresh and very inexpensive.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Post Thanks / Like

Polo Blue (refreshing cucumber note)
    Dunhill Desire Blue (my favorite aquatic, may be a little too sweet for humid weather though)
    Claiborne Sport (somewhat aquatic but is more soapy)
    Acqua Di Gio (you probably know this one already)

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, Milamber's Laguna... I'm also curious to know how this smells, but unfortunately I can't find it here in the Philippines. I have tested Dali's Le Roy Soleil and I find it very good for hot weather but Laguna Homme is nowhere to be found...

Maybe somebody would be gracious enough to provide me a sample.....

John

Unbound - Halston.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MacCOOL
    Ah yes, Milamber's Laguna... I'm also curious to know how this smells, but unfortunately I can't find it here in the Philippines. I have tested Dali's Le Roy Soleil and I find it very good for hot weather but Laguna Homme is nowhere to be found...

Maybe somebody would be gracious enough to provide me a sample.....

John
    If my geography serves me correct Phillippines is not far away from Singapur. You know who to contact!!!
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Post Thanks / Like

or Jill Sander Sun Sports...good longlivity as well !

Post Thanks / Like

euhhh...I mean SPORT Jill Sander ....

The one's I would have recommended maybe considered too niche with respect to your request. If I were you go for something green like Guerlain's vetiver, you won't regret it.
    Let your nose be your pilot

Kumusta Roberto!

Liz Claiborne for Men (not Sport) the one in the box with stripes. Ma sarap! Otherwise, you'll be in league with the 'high rollers' wearing Polo Blue or if it's available, CKone Summer.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

hey mga pinoy how much ba ang?
    Polo blue?
    dunhill desire blue?

may creed silver mountain water ba sa pinas? how much?

hope anyone could help me...
    ang mahal ng lanvin l'homme 3900 pesos ang 100 ml

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the tropics too and have been enjoying wearing Estee Lauder's Beyond Paradise for men. It is very fresh, green, and wet. In fact is is the first aquatic scent that I have used that actually smells "wet". It is hard to describe but it really does! I use the shower gel and deo as well as the scent itself and there is no problem in it lasting all day. It also gets alot of compliments from the people around me so I give it two thumbs up. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Beyond Paradise by Lauder. This scent feels like you are standing so close to a waterfall, that you can feel the mist head to toe. It also feels that way.

LOL, hey Loungeboy, Great review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docjason
    hey mga pinoy how much ba ang?
    Polo blue?
    dunhill desire blue?

may creed silver mountain water ba sa pinas? how much?

hope anyone could help me...
    ang mahal ng lanvin l'homme 3900 pesos ang 100 ml
    Hi Doc Jason,

Polo Blue sells for around Php4200 at malls and Dunhill Desire Blue at around Php3500.

There is Silver Mountain Water sold here in Manila but it in the gray market. Please refer to my reply to your posts about members here from the Philippines.

And yes, Lanvin L'Homme is also quite expensive, I recently bought a 100ml bottle of it but, you know what... I got it for only Php 1,100. You just have to look at the right places... There are bargains all around...

Regards,
    John

pls tell me where to get lanvin lhomme for 1100

maccool san ka ba buy fragrances? sa g1 or robinsons? san mo na buy lanvin?

Post Thanks / Like

pls tell me where to get lanvin lhomme for 1100
    Try to go to bidshot.com. It's a Philippine bidding website. You'll find lots of bargains in there. You have to register of course.

Regards,
    John

can you give me the contact number of the one who sold you the lanvin at bidshot or the username atleast

Post Thanks / Like

can you give me the contact number of the one who sold you the lanvin at bidshot or the username atleast
    Her bidshot name is "Jinggoy" but i doubt it if she still has bottle of Lanvin. She said some friend just asked her to sell it for her. So I think she only had one bottle of Lanvin L'Homme and I already bought it. I guesss I was just lucky.

But i saw a bottle of Desire Blue in bidshot at PhP 2,200. Its cheaper by more than PhP 1,000 from those sold in malls. Maybe you can even haggle the price. Good Luck!

John

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was wrong. *Not one Anglophile in the whole forum.

* * * * * * * * Pity. *

I expected interesting suggestions based on the Caribbean scents the Brits developed over centuries.

I know, *no niche scents. *Guess that takes care of T and Hill, *Geo f. Turner (farewell Trafalgar) *and so forth. *Say, *how about West Idian Bay Co. *which has really cheap . . . er I mean inexpensive offerings along the lines of Bay Rum, W. Indian Limes, etc.

See the thing is, *I've lived in the type of tropical climate described and I think that Acqua di Gio would be a slow sour burn on the skin, *ditto for AdG turned fey (Beyond Paradise) and some of *the other recs posted. *Kenzo, *would be, *not so much gone, as destroyed in 30 seconds. Azarro Chrome would last a bit longer. *Dunhill Blue would be vaporised.

Allright, *my recs:

1. CH'S 212 H20----Said that already

2. LAGUNA BY *S. DALI --As suggested, *allow me to second the motion. *It's * placid, cool and, *unlike Aquaman , unbizarre and *far longer lasting.

3. QUASAR by JESUS del POSO--I know, I can't claim it's unbizarre, but it's good and original.

4. ICEBERG TWICE by ICBERG-- Not an acqua but who cares, watch the temperature drop!

5. *DEL MAR (BALDESSARINI) by HUGO BOSS--Best thing HB ever came up with. Placid and cool again, plus very stylish.

Say, have you given any thought to Comptoir Sud Pacific's tropical line? *Are we nched, or is it available at home?

Good Luck.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best Aquatic Scent To Wear In A Tropical Country

I like Aqua de Bulgari pour homme but another 'tropical country' scent I adore is Creed's Virgin Island Water! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    Creed Erolfa.....it may not be as 'cool or refreshing' as some, but it has great longevity and comes into it's own when by the sea
    ding ding ding......we got a winner.......that scent will make you walk on water..
    --------------------------------------
    yes....if you want to go outside the typical aqualine but i believe absolutely perfect for the tropical climate....

Gendarme 20.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 29th December 2007 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I live in New Orleans which can be quite tropical and muggy. I have found Givenchy's "Blue Label" to be really wonderful. Some on this forum have even inferred, ....so why spring for "Erolfa" when you can have " Blue Label"?

I hate them these days, however the ones I still enjoy:

L'Eau D'Issey
    L'Eau Par Kenzo
    Bvlgari Aqua
    CK Truth
    Mugler Cologne

Creed Millesme Imperial like Aqua di Gio
    J.I del Pozo Quasar
    Rochas Aquaman spicy and light,
    212 Carolina Herrera

Aqva by Bulgari
    =)

Bvlgari Aqva
    212 men Carolina Herrera ( it's not an aquatic scent, but it smells fresh )
    Azzaro Chrome ( fresh, good longevity )
    Guess Men ( fruity and fresh )

Quote Originally Posted by MacCOOL View Post
    Hi Doc Jason,

Polo Blue sells for around Php4200 at malls and Dunhill Desire Blue at around Php3500.

There is Silver Mountain Water sold here in Manila but it in the gray market. Please refer to my reply to your posts about members here from the Philippines.

And yes, Lanvin L'Homme is also quite expensive, I recently bought a 100ml bottle of it but, you know what... I got it for only Php 1,100. You just have to look at the right places... There are bargains all around...

Regards,
    John
    If you can find it, Lanvin Oxygene Homme, is IMHO by far the best aquatic fragrance, and very long lasting in my experience.

Erolfa or Carthusia Uomo

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromusk View Post
    If you can find it, Lanvin Oxygene Homme, is IMHO by far the best aquatic fragrance, and very long lasting in my experience.
    hi nitromusk. do you really think Oxygene is an aquatic? as i recall it is very musky (and, as my dad so perfectly put it, a bit "ripe" :-)

however it certainly is long-lasting.

things that i have worn in very hot weather successfully (keeping in mind of course that longevity goes down quite sharply the hotter the weather... so i tend to be more budget-oriented when i'm in the tropics since i need to spray on more!):

- kenzo pour homme (the eau fraiche or fresh variants are more aquatic than the original, but last a bit less long)
    - l'eau par kenzo (absolutely the perfect scent for hot climes, but good luck getting it to last...)
    - paul smith "story" (a sour dry vetiver... perfect for the tropics)
    - l'eau d'issey (not that common outside europe and the US; you will definitely stand out)
    - YSL pour homme (an oldie but a classic; potent citrus blast!)
    - swiss army (good and, as s/o else has pointed out, cheap)
    - halston unbound
    - paris hilton "just me" (ADG clone with an extra dash of watermelon)
    - michael jordan 23 (a budget cologne that you can find cheap in the US but is also available online; very pleasant unpretentious ADG-ish juice but with a slighly more bitter edge)
    - kouros cologne sport (the most "fresh" and dry of the kouroses.... note however that the original wears extremely well in warm weather too!)

and my all-time favorite for HOT sweaty days...

JOOP!!!

(just kidding. eeek.)

which creed fragrances are considered aquatics? also, what are usually in aquatics? lime?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve tried a lot of aquatics, because I find them quite wearable in the spring/summer season.

Here`s my choice:
    - Bvlgari AQVA or newest edition of that fragrance - AQVA Marine;
    - RL Polo Blue;
    - Davidoff Cool Water & it`s summer editions.
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

Post Thanks / Like

some of the jaguar releases,
    azzaro-chrome,
    davidoff-echo,
    herrera -aqua,

Post Thanks / Like

Aqua Motu!!! by csp. cant beat that. This is what you are looking for.

or sandflowers by montale.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?