Code of Conduct

Thread: Strong Cologne

Default Strong Cologne

Hi. I am brand new to this site. I have loved scents for years. I am wondering what makes some colognes strong and lasting and some weak and quick to fade? What are some colognes that are known for their staying power?

Default Re: Strong Cologne

Eau de Cologne, Cologne, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Parfum, Parfum...

All these terms are relative, I've had an Eau de Cologne last all day, and an Eau de Toilette last 30 minutes! It all depends on fragrance composition and how much of the concentree the parfumeur decides to put in it.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

[blue]Actually, strength depends upon a lot more than just concentration of the fragrance oils. It depends also very much upon the nature of the ingredients used. For example, citrus based oils have a very high evaporation rate. Their molecules break down very quickly, within a minute or two actually. On the other hand, essential oils traditional used as fixatives last longer and even function to carry the other more volatile oils through the fragrance longer as well. They're are made up of denser, more complex molecules that take more time to break down. Examples of such fixative oils with strength and tenacity would be patchouli, sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, oak, ambergris etc. I've read that the scent of natural civet if sprayed on something in full strength can still be detected up to forty years later. Obviously skunk spray would qualify along the same lines. It's definitely not just a matter of concentration; it's also a matter of the types of essential oils or aroma-chemicals used and the nature of their molecular structure and molecular properties.

scentemental[/blue]

Thanks! I really enjoy this board.

Steven