Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Blog Entries

Default Re: $5K deep....what did I learn?

Quote Originally Posted by RonF
    1. *D&G PH: *Have it, love it, freekin everyone else is wearing it. *And it's such a unique and identifiable scent that everyone instantly knows its D&GPH, and probably thinks...look at this guy trying to be the D&G guy. * Unfortunate, cause its a great scent, but it's too common now, and reeks of a "poser". *Sorry.
    I have a feeling this is going to by my signature scent for fall. I LOVE this stuff. It actually turns kind of incensy on my skin. Maybe I'll be the D&G GAL! Poser I'm not!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

1. *D&G PH: *Have it, love it, freekin everyone else is wearing it. *And it's such a unique and identifiable scent that everyone instantly knows its D&GPH, and probably thinks...look at this guy trying to be the D&G guy. * Unfortunate, cause its a great scent, but it's too common now, and reeks of a "poser". *Sorry.
    I'm conflicted about D & G PH!

No question that it's a great, well designed frag. I've tried it a couple of times, and it smells quite good on me.

But I hate smelling like everyone else! This is the main reason I like niche scents.

So, do I bite the bullet and buy it because of it's quality? Or do I pass on a great frag because I'm afraid of being a "common poser"?

Regarding D&G: * *In my business I meet with alot of people, and frequently smell D&G PH on guys. And when I do, I am not impressed. *I usually have an unfavorable impression, thinking that it seems so ordinary, and insincere. *I know, that's harsh and judgemental. *But it's not an intentional reaction, just a natrual involuntary feeling. *I think..."oh, he bought a bottle of D&G, not very original...what's this guy trying to be?, sexy?". *Again, I know that's judgemental, but I am being very honest here. *

I often smell scents on other guys which I don't imediately recognize, or I recognize...but they are rare, and get a positive feeling of "oh, whats that? *smells good! *have to ask...". * *It's a whole other reaction. *

I think that D&G is SOOO recognizable, and portrays such a strong image, that it works against itself. * Mind you, I love the scent, but to me, the time when I wear it....is when I am alone with a woman in my home, or bedroom. When I AM trying to be sexy!

That is my experience.

Ron

Glad to see somebody else sees Ralph Lauren's Purple Label as a quality fragrance. I bought it a couple of summers ago and wear it from time to time, and often wonder why it doesn't get some of the credit it deserves.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    Glad to see somebody else sees Ralph Lauren's Purple Label as a quality fragrance. *I bought it a couple of summers ago and wear it from time to time, and often wonder why it doesn't get some of the credit it deserves.

Oh, yeah. * Purple Label is, surprisingly, my secret weapon. *Few people talk about, or even know about it. *Perhaps because it is not sold everywhere. *But I consistently get positive comments on it, from both sexes. *It's one of those fragrences that projects with great sillage, but is not offensive in any way...in fact it's so interesting that it draws people in. * It has a very sophisticated aspect to it. *Screams of "high end", very very masculine, seems to signify power and class. *

I wear both the aftershave splash and the cologne to get excellent lasting effect. *It's one of those you pretty much can't over do, because it's not a sharp frag. *It always seems to project just enough, and people seem to respond well to it always.

As you know, it's in my top 3.

Ron

Ron, out of curiosity, may I inquire as to what you do for a living (you can reply to me via private message, if you prefer)?
    Dave here.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one here who likes Michael for Men. Truly a masculine cologne...

Have fun experimenting Ron, the fun just started.

Quote Originally Posted by dav-here
    Ron, out of curiosity, may I inquire as to what you do for a living (you can reply to me via private message, if you prefer)?

I actually told you in my previous post....I own and run a Mortgage Banking Firm in Southern CA.

Quote Originally Posted by chris21
    I'm just glad I'm not the only one here who likes Michael for Men. Truly a masculine cologne...

Michael for Men is truly outstanding. *This one has a masculine character which is very original. *The tobacco in this smells just wonderful on the skin. *This is one of those rare ones where you cannot fully appreciate it until it is on the skin. *And then, it takes on a different flavor depending on whose skin it's on. *And it develops very dramatically. *It makes me think of entering an old style smoke shop, where you would smell all of the sweet pipe tobacco as soon as you'd walk in the door. *But Michael doesn't just smell like tobacco...it is much more complex than that. *It projects a powerful sillage, but at the same time gives you something different and wonderful close to the skin. *Hard to describe fully, but it is very masculine and very high class. *And it lasts forever...always important.

[quote author=The Bark link=1125556799/30#33 date=1125717001]Glad to see somebody else sees Ralph Lauren's Purple Label as a quality fragrance. *I bought it a couple of summers ago and wear it from time to time, and often wonder why it doesn't get some of the credit it deserves.

Oh, yeah. * Purple Label is, surprisingly, my secret weapon. *Few people talk about, or even know about it. *Perhaps because it is not sold everywhere. *But I consistently get positive comments on it, from both sexes. *It's one of those fragrences that projects with great sillage, but is not offensive in any way...in fact it's so interesting that it draws people in. * It has a very sophisticated aspect to it. *Screams of "high end", very very masculine, seems to signify power and class. *

I wear both the aftershave splash and the cologne to get excellent lasting effect. *It's one of those you pretty much can't over do, because it's not a sharp frag. *It always seems to project just enough, and people seem to respond well to it always.

As you, it's in my top 3.

Ron[/quote]

From an earlier post I see you also like Tommy Bahama and the newer Romance (Silver). I find each of these have a few similar, green and spicey notes in them, but wear differently enough from one another to warrant having all three.

I see you have fairly similar tastes as me, so aside from some of the other ones people have suggested here, I would suggest Czech & Speake's Cuba. Of all the tobacco based fragrances, this one is probably my favorite. Not as dense as Vintage Tabarome, more refreshing than New Tabarome, it's only drawback may be longevity, but I find it lasts quite a while on me.

You know, C&S Cuba is high on my list of wants. Where is the best place to get it?

You know, C&S Cuba is high on my list of wants. *Where is the best place to get it?
    Cambridge Chemists is the only place I know of stateside where it can be ordered. Their website, http://www.pharmacyny.com/default.aspx, doesn't list it, but if you find the contact info there, you can place an order via phone (at least it's what I did).

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons why it's not "sold" stateside was due to the similarity of name with Aramis Havana. That could be a rumor, but nonetheless, it is difficult to find.

Regarding D&G: * *In my business I meet with alot of people, and frequently smell D&G PH on guys. And when I do, I am not impressed. *I usually have an unfavorable impression, thinking that it seems so ordinary, and insincere. *I know, that's harsh and judgemental. *But it's not an intentional reaction, just a natrual involuntary feeling. *I think..."oh, he bought a bottle of D&G, not very original...what's this guy trying to be?, sexy?". *Again, I know that's judgemental, but I am being very honest here. *

I often smell scents on other guys which I don't imediately recognize, or I recognize...but they are rare, and get a positive feeling of "oh, whats that? *smells good! *have to ask...". * *It's a whole other reaction. *

I think that D&G is SOOO recognizable, and portrays such a strong image, that it works against itself. * Mind you, I love the scent, but to me, the time when I wear it....is when I am alone with a woman in my home, or bedroom. *When I AM trying to be sexy! *

That is my experience.

Ron
    Although I understand where this attitude is coming from, I think it's an absolute shame that such a wonderful fragrance is victimized by this sort of association. I have no doubt that if D&G PH were the product of some niche house and was judged on its own merits, it would be perceived quite differently.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Although I understand where this attitude is coming from, I think it's an absolute shame that such a wonderful fragrance is victimized by this sort of association. I have no doubt that if D&G PH were the product of some niche house and was judged on its own merits, it would be perceived quite differently.
    In my neck of the woods, in Southern CA, D&G is unfortunately everywhere, and I do mean everywhere! * This to me takes away from the concept of a niche frag...exclusivity for those "in the know". *As I said, I think that D&G has become the source of it's own perception problem, it's like it is sold in every Target and Wallmart accross the USA, and every wannabe is wearing it. *It has become the faux "Niche" stand-in for those who have no idea about fragrance. *

Also, the way it is marketed by D&G is to show the very young, hip, half naked, "sexy" (just look at D&G's recent print ads which show a bunch of young guys with thier shirts off and wearing thier jeans so low as to show their "bush" full on!) so that when you see anyone older than, say, 20 with it on, you can't help but think "what is this guy trying to be?", and think down at it.

However, I do agree, it is a great smelling juice. *So unique, that it is immediately detectable, and there in lies the problem.....

In my neck of the woods, in Southern CA, D&G is unfortunately everywhere, and I do mean everywhere! This to me takes away from the concept of a niche frag...exclusivity for those "in the know". As I said, I think that D&G has become the source of it's own perception problem, it's like it is sold in every Target and Wallmart accross the USA, and every wannabe is wearing it. It has become the faux "Niche" stand in for those who have no idea about fragrance.
    Yes, totally agree. This seems to be the official LA scent, when I was in the area I could hardly walk three feet in clubs and other public places without bumping into someone wearing this scent. It is one thing if you bump into a few people here and there, but quite another if everybody and their brother is wearing this scent. I really enjoyed this scent in the late '90s when it wasn't as ubiquitos as sweat.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Reading your posts brings one scent to my mind: Guerlain Heritage

Well, Ron, I`m glad that we are going the same road and the very same direction towards masculinity...
    I`m sure that I spent a bit more than you to find out my likings vetiver and leather.
    Keep posting to point out most viril frags.
    I can recommend you some more
    vintage Cuir and Revolt of Lancome
    3rd man de Caron
    Yatagan de Caron
    Or Black by Pascal Morabito
    Aoud Cuir d`Arabie
    Parfum d`Habit MPG
    Derby Guerlain (maybe not because it reminds me Poivre Caron by its clove. But anyway Guerlain`s wife insist that Jean Paul wore Derby only anytime)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Hi Ron,

I really enjoy your post...seems like you've described what I've been trying to accomplish since I was FOURTEEN! I was surprised that you've ranked JHL, Michael Kors, and YES! Antaeus, as part of your wardrobe of esteemed frags because those were or are a part of my best frags of all time! Sadly I don't know what happened over the years, but after the creation of Cool Water and AdG, I had seriously lost touch with the deeper, expressive, distinguished frags that I loved when I was younger. Working hard to bring back that "nose" for these type of frags.

When I think of Leather and Tobacco, I instantly thought "Yeah, he's got refined taste." I think the most refined in my wardrobe right now is Chanel L'Egoiste (original). Not sure if you've tried this before, but I dug this scent since 1990 when it first came out. Now this doesn't have leather but it seems to smell like it has sweet tobacco, in fact it seems to smell like tobacco as its primary heart note. There's a choice of Cologne (Concentree) or EdT. I prefer the former because some of these spices are overly insistent with the EdT. The cologne lasts forever on the skin too. It starts off sharp and spicy, then a bit powdery, and then rounds out to those "tobacco" notes that make me sniff deep, just total refinement and obvious class, IMO!!!

Please, give it a try if you haven't already, no regrets for me for this one.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Ron, I agree with most of your fragrance reviews, but one sticks out like a sore thumb.

FOLLIA DI AQUARAMA?! My God, man, this stuff is just overpriced Acqua di Gio! A coworker got suckered into buying a bottle by the SA at Nordstrom some months ago. He and I both agreed that it smells like a million other "fresh, aquatic" scents, and wasn't remotely worth the $80+ asking price. "Folly" indeed. Why the hell would anyone buy a bottle of men's cologne from an Italian motorboat company?!
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    Ron, I agree with most of your fragrance reviews, but one sticks out like a sore thumb.

FOLLIA DI AQUARAMA?!
    Well, as I said when I started this thread...what I smell may not be what you smell. *Sure we can all pick out certain obvious notes, but there are details which we may percieve differently. * It's like the color red...we can both say it's red...but am i seeing what you are seeing?

I like this frag very much. *It smells very unique to me, not at all like ADG. *As i described, it has a Dry Gin Martini quality that is very masculine and prominent. * I think this sets FDA apart. * Not "Fresh Aquatic" at all, to me.....

[quote author=Scentsei link=1125556799/45#48 date=1126022437]Ron, I agree with most of your fragrance reviews, but one sticks out like a sore thumb.

FOLLIA DI AQUARAMA?!
    Well, as I said when I started this thread...what I smell may not be what you smell. *Sure we can all pick out certain obvious notes, but there are details which we may percieve differently. * It's like the color red...we can both say it's red...but am i seeing what you are seeing?

I like this frag very much. *It smells very unique to me, not at all like ADG. *As i described, it has a Dry Gin Martini quality that is very masculine and prominent. * I think this sets FDA apart. * Not "Fresh Aquatic" at all, to me.....[/quote]

It also lasts quite a while, so the price is somewhat justifiable considering it's an edp. I think when I first purchased it a year ago yesterday, I likened it to AdG, but a classier version in a big brother sort of way.

bespoke, bespoke, bespoke........have a fragrance created for you. very expensive though, 20k at Roja Dove in londons harrods.
    DSH will do it for $375 :

http://www.dshperfumes.com/custom_eo.asp?page=18
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

And I have a feeling I'm going to be at least *$5000 deep *from trying out *just a few of the scents recommended here, esp the tobacco ones.

Ron: You made yourself quite clear:

" Still looking for THE one. *Welcome any recommends for Leather, Tobacco, Masculine, Strong, Smooth, Powerful, High end, WOW, type scents. *"

I hope you'll enjoy the following:

1. Dunhill for Men (Rustic box) vintage *'34.
    2. Joseph Abdoud.
    3. Francesco Smalto.
    4. Jacomo de Jacomo. (already mentioned, allow me to second)
    5. Minotaure.
    6. Mont Blanc Individuel.

One redeeming feature about our vice, it's expensive but at least it's not fattening. *

Cheers.

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    One redeeming feature about our vice, it's expensive but at least it's not fattening.
    Yeah, thank God!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Dave here.

I wonder how much $$$$$ the OP has spent by now...

hey Ron I totally suggest Noir Epices, Dry and Spicy with Rose just like 88

im 25 and about 2.5 K into the journey thus far its been about 5 years

Wow, you have revived an ancient post, samplermike.

Ron, you should check out Serge Lutens for sure. Take a trip to Paris, see what you can find

i have two words for you.

Nasomatto Duro.

you will thank me later.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Lightbulb Re: $5K deep....what did I learn?

If you haven't already, maybe try mixing Vintage Tabarome, Bois Du Portugal, and maybe a little Kors and Tuscany to the mix ?

edit: I'm a perfectionist as well, and mixing my favorites worked.....well.....almost...still looking for real perfection.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 1st February 2008 at 08:16 AM.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Wow - awesome post! This one belongs in the hall of fame, which I will be proposing shortly!