Code of Conduct

Default YOUR FEMININE/MASCULINE ALTER EGO

I'm not sure if there's been a similar thread, but because I think it's very interesting, here it is: among hundreds of perfumes you own and/or love surely there must be at least one feminine/masculine fragrance you would (or already do) wear as your signature fragrance. Mine's COCO MADEMOISELLE. It's your turn now!

A HUGE CORRECTION: I now realize I have been an utter ass not having included the fair sex as well since the topic is applicable both ways. I do apologize, it was quite unintentional. *[smiley=embarassed.gif] So now this topic is open to everyone. SORRY once again.

Blog Entries

Default Re: YOUR FEMININE ALTER EGO

This isn't such a big deal for me being a woman myself, but my fave womens' frags are Miracle, Banana Republic W, & Hugo Deep Red.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    This isn't such a big deal for me being a woman myself, but my fave womens' frags are Miracle, Banana Republic W, & Hugo Deep Red.

Thank you for pointing out what an ass I've been, I apologize. Btw, I love Hugo Deep Red, its my girlfriend's favourite as well. [smiley=smiley.gif]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duxie
    Thank you for pointing out what an ass I've been, I apologize. Btw, I love Hugo Deep Red, its my girlfriend's favourite as well. *[smiley=smiley.gif]
    I didn't think you were being an "ass" at all. Sometimes I feel I need to point out my gender on posts like this just so I don't confuse anyone (and I've gotten many a PM from confused folk!). I'm a woman who greatly prefers fresher/sweeter men's fragrances to most of the womens' scents on the market these days. So, when I posts to topics like this, I feel like I'm posting as "one of the guys" .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Default Re: YOUR FEMININE/MASCULINE ALTER EGO

I have a bunch of feminine scents. Heres the list: black cashmere, kingdom, nu, bandit, eden by cacharel, quelqes fleurs, must de by cartier, romance for women, marc jacobs, island by michael kors.

masculine scents are joop, insense', salvador dali pour homme, candies, obsession, kouros (my current fav) very irresistible, kenzo p'eaur or whatever its called.
    Awesomeguy

No feminine fragrances for me, thanks.

I second that. Feminine fragrances are, for me, going a little too far to the sweetness area (in terms of smell.)

I actually like fresh/airy men's colognes, but people know if it's a masculine cologne, or something else more suited for women.

Just my 2 cents. [smiley=happy.gif]

Oh nice thread. I'm just beginning to pick up on the female ones... Of the few I have, CdG 2 (aite, it is unisex, but still fairly feminine), Bandit and Jo Malone - Tuberose stand out as favorites. I love all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    I'm in 100% agreement.

I never have nor want to wear a woman's fragrance, no matter how great it may smell. I really believe that women's fragrances are made to make a woman feel feminine and to attract the opposite sex - men. *

Please unnderstand that I am NOT IN ANY WAY knocking the people here who wear the opposite gender's fragrances. I know how hobbies like scents become passions since I have many hobbbies that are passions (subways, streetcars, big band music, photography, baseball, hockey etc.)! *I realize that the love of certain scents is what blurs these distinctions for hobbiests. I certainly would not criticize a fragrance hobbiest for doing that!

I love Fragile, Le Feau D'Issey Light, Hanae Mori and Wish by Chopard

I suspect the great classics were all made for a woman. I would wear Je Reviens as my favorite, along with Vent Vert and Miss Dior. I DO wear Balmain by Balmain, and I suggest it as a great cyphré for those who wish to 'cross the line' for the first time. If NU is considered unisex, then Balmain by Balmain is positively butch!

I get radical when it comes to Guerlain. My guess is the great Guerlains are (were?) all either female or unisex (Jicky, Eau du Coq). The male ones play second fiddle. My pick amongst the Guerlains would be Chamade EdP.

Stuff like Instant, Heritage, Habit Rouge and Derby I find to be a tame, closeted, mid-foppish concession. I think of Habit Rouge and I see a man desperately wanting to wear something more eye-catching than his three-piece suit, yet unable to do anything but waiting until it's fox hunting time.

Scent wearing is a bit like role playing, and the 'male' roles suggested by Guerlain are really an utmost, frustratingly bourgeois bore.

No offence! Just IMO [smiley=cool.gif]

Masculine scents? Feminine scents? I envy you. I wish I could tell the difference. I can't. They are all just scents to me and I wear my favorites accordingly. Funny how both my men and women friends cannot seem to tell if what I am wearing on any given day was marketed to or intended for men or women.

Griff

Oh and Leo... I love your quote "the faint aroma of performing seals..." Let's see if anyone knows where it comes from (and no Googling!)

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    "the faint aroma of performing seals..." Let's see if anyone knows where it comes from (and no Googling!)
    The song "I Wish I Were In Love Again".

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Masculine scents? Feminine scents? I envy you. I wish I could tell the difference. I can't. They are all just scents to me and I wear my favorites accordingly. Funny how both my men and women friends cannot seem to tell if what I am wearing on any given day was marketed to or intended for men or women.

Griff

Oh and Leo... I love your quote "the faint aroma of performing seals..." Let's see if anyone knows where it comes from (and no Googling!)
    Thanks! MikeFromManhattan (and where else?) spotted it right away!

I know it's way off topic so I will stop with this one but just read these lyrics and weep at the genius of Lorenz Hart (Richard Rodgers wrote the music)

The sleepless nights - the daily fights
    The quick toboggan - when you reach the heights
    I miss the kisses - and I miss the bites
    I wish I were in love again

The broken dates - the endless waits
    The lovely loving - and the hateful hates
    The conversation - with the flying plates

No more pain - no more strain
    Now I'm sane - but I would rather be punched - drunk

The pulled out fur - of cat and cur
    The fine mismating - of a him and her
    I've learned my lesson - but I wish I were
    In love again

The furtive sigh - the blackened eye
    The words: "I love you - 'til the day I day"
    The self deception - that believes the lie

When love congeals - it soon reveals
    The faint aroma - of performing seals
    The double-crossing - of a pair of heals

No, no more care - no, no despair
    Now I'm all there (now) - but I'd rather be punch drunk

Believe me sir - I much prefer
    The classic battle - of a him and her
    I don't like quiet - and I wish I were
    In love again

In the twentieth century there were classic scents created as well as classic lyrics.

Griff
    Griff

I do not choose my fragrances based upon the gender to which they are marketed. I believe that a good deal of "gendering" a fragrance is merely marketing strategy. Confining myself to only "men's" fragrances to be boring and constraining.
    Some of the women's fragrances that I enjoy wearing include Kingdom, Black Cashmere, Lolita Lempicka, Tabac Blonde, and Nu, for example.
    I also enjoy several unusual fragrances that I believe are now discontinued, by Victoire Gobin-Daude. I fine the Biche Dans L'absinthe, Sous le buis, and Nuits au Desert to be extraordinary, and certainly suitable for both men and women. Even her jardins ottomons, which has a bitter sweet note, can be worn by men.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman

The Napalm jokes are probably getting old.... Soon, you'll be shaving with a hacksaw.

There aren't many designer feminine fragrances I'd ever use as a signature, but I was forced to pick, I'd probably lean toward Angel, Shalimar, or Tabac Blond.

I seem to recall Eau Sauvage was originally intended for women...or is that just my imagination??

AZTEC

Shalimar parfum and Tabac Blond parfum are amazing. One problem is that here in the US everything floral is considered feminine. I don't know how it is for you international basenoters. I do know many of the arabic perfumes for men contain rose and other floral notes and no one seems to think it's girly.

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    [quote author=Coleman link=1126302681/0#5 date=1126309044]No feminine fragrances for me, thanks.

The Napalm jokes are probably getting old.... Soon, you'll be shaving with a hacksaw.

There aren't many designer feminine fragrances I'd ever use as a signature, but I was forced to pick, I'd probably lean toward Angel, Shalimar, or Tabac Blond. [/quote]
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    I suspect the great classics were all made for a woman. I would wear Je Reviens as my favorite, along with Vent Vert and Miss Dior. ... and the 'male' roles suggested by Guerlain are really an utmost, frustratingly bourgeois bore.

No offence! Just IMO [smiley=cool.gif]
    Leo, your IMO is my IMO
    Je Reviens Vers Toi Dans La Nuit
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    Shalimar parfum and Tabac Blond parfum are amazing. One problem is that here in the US everything floral is considered feminine. I don't know how it is for you international basenoters. I do know many of the arabic perfumes for men contain rose and other floral notes and no one seems to think it's girly.
    I can only speak for myself and observations made in some EU countries. A general view (not exactly my own) seems to be: Floral notes in perfumes are welcome enrichments of a masculine scent but they should not prevail. But too much of a statement / sillage may give the wearer second looks no matter if it's pure tar or heavenly lilac! Simplicity in style and scents is still considered good taste. But - live and let live!

Luca Turin, has broader knowledge on the subject and he has written his Columns 'Lui Pour Elle' & 'Elle Pour Louis' originally for a German language readership. Get inspired!
    http://lucaturin.typepad.com/perfume.../06/index.html
    (3/4 down the page)

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by aztec
    I seem to recall Eau Sauvage was originally intended for women...or is that just my imagination??

AZTEC
    Jasmine lurks within this scent, its especially evident in the Extreme, and this is a floral generally associated with feminine fragrances, but no cause for alarm because the scent is generally a green citrus scent. I'm not surprised if this was originally a feminine scent either.

All I can say is that I have no problem with florals, and I would like to see more florals paired up with sweet and pungent spice in masculine fragrances.

And I don't know what the deal is, I was at the Rue Cambon Chanel boutique, and a SA explained to me that for people who purchase Chanel No. 5, 1 out of every 5 people are men purchasing this scent for themselves...big surprise? Not really, ever since it's creation in the 1920's. But it's an abstract fragrance, there is no focus on a singular floral throughout, but it's got a whole bunch of it in there.

Besides Coco, and Mlle, I'm stoked on Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles for it's androgynous and abstract properties...I pushed the Gardenia to my friend purchasing something special for his wife, and I kept the Cuir and Bois for myself! Hehe! [smiley=evil.gif]

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    And I don't know what the deal is, I was at the Rue Cambon Chanel boutique, and a SA explained to me that for people who purchase Chanel No. 5, 1 out of every 5 people are men purchasing this scent for themselves...big surprise? Not really, ever since it's creation in the 1920's. ....
    [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]Surprise indeed: 1 out of every 10 would have fit my own cliché better! How did the agent arrive at this knowledge?

I have no idea...took her word for it. *She was probably just pulling numbers out of her head from experience. *Who knows, perhaps she meant that 1 out of 5 men purchased No. 5, either for themselves or for loved ones. *Not like I was about to challenge her and demand sales stats! *Hehe.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Leo, *your IMO is my IMO
    Je Reviens Vers Toi Dans La Nuit
    Neat![smiley=cool.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    [quote author=Coleman link=1126302681/0#5 date=1126309044]No feminine fragrances for me, thanks.

There aren't many designer feminine fragrances I'd ever use as a signature, but I was forced to pick, I'd probably lean toward Angel, Shalimar, or Tabac Blond. [/quote]

I had a feeling you'd be calling! LOL!
    Hey joke about me until the sun goes down, it's all good my friend. Don't bother me none!
    [smiley=beer.gif]

Black Cashmere is in a category by itself of the female fragrances that I've tried (the number of which is admittedly limited). Because it smells so masculine to my nose, I have no sense of "crossing over" or having to "pull it off".

Some other female scents that I've tried and like:
    Nu
    Estee Lauder Knowing
    Bulgari Blu
    Dior Pure Poison
    Chanel No. 19

--Steve

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    Black Cashmere is...
    ..a girls Alter Ego :exclamation

Thank you for your other recommendations, some of which I have not heard before. I always thought, there was only one Blu! Beyond Paradise also had me confused as does Aigner with more than one leather frag for both counters. I just read there is a Miracle for girls that might suit me, as the men's version fails to perform as expected.

Which marketer thinks for the poor guy who does not read fancy magazines nor visits basenotes ever?

This is too good not be quoted here:

"Memoire d'Homme is a pedestrian and unremarkable scent, so we'll say no more about it ... No, what I really wanted to talk to you about is Nina Ricci's L'Air du Temps. Many years ago I remember being instantly captivated when I first sampled L'Air du Temps in a store. 'Unfortunately, Monsieur le Baron,' said the assistant with a smirk, 'this is a scent for women.' Being young and impressionable at the time concerning such arbitrary social conventions, I blushed, and left it on the shelf. Latterly, however, I have renewed my acquaintance with this remarkable fragrance and reaffirmed my first impressions. A sweet heart of carnation surrounded by a clean, fresh breath of joy. Masculine? Feminine? I would rather call it Angelic."
    by de Charlus , 2004/06/11.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122116.html