Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Etiquette Bleue and Arome 3

Hi everybody,

I've read many opinions on D'Orsay Le Dandy here, but what can I expect from Etiquette Bleue and Arome 3? Any experiences?

Thanks [smiley=smiley.gif]
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Etiquette Bleue and Arome 3

Hi Gerald,

Etiquette Bleue is a throwback to a different era in perfumery. In 1912 Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue heralded a trend of powdery vanilla bases which would later show up in Shalimar, Habanita, etc...but what most people don't know is that in 1908 D'Orsay preceded this trend and was wise enough to marry these basenotes with hesperidic topnotes resulting in "Eau de Bouquet", now known as Etiquette Bleue: Unlike anything else that I can think of in today's market, Etiquette Bleue starts as a fresh citrus but the basenotes surprise with a warm balsam and sandalwod base, grounding the otherwise fleeting orange blossom, bergamot, lemon and petitgrain. It tends to be a little sweet, and is not a powerhouse scent. It is, however, very unique, great for any time of year, and quite easily one of my all-time favorite compositions for it's ability to marry sweeter oriental notes with light hesperides. Smells like: a bit of Mugler cologne in the top, with a hint of vanilla in the base. I always think EB when smelling Boss in Motion (EB is light years better). Check Ebay for this one as prices vary wildly.

Arome 3 - hoping to learn more about this myself!

marlen

[blue]Like all fragrances in the D'Orsay line, *Etiquette Bleue* strikes me as an original formulation, understated and beautifully balanced and blended. It's actually as a citrusy, soft, balsamic chypre, and as such it shares common characteristics with a number of other fragrances in the line (such as *Arome 3 Tradition*, *Chevaillier*, *Tilleul*), which tend to also dry down to a balsamic chypre finish, which is, in a way, the D’Orsay house signature.

*Arome 3* is a Aromatic Fougère that starts of somewhat strongly with a sharp lavender accord but which dries down to probably one of a handful of the most smooth, heavenly musky, and slighty woody lavender accords one is ever likely to find in. In short, it is absolutely exquisite.

scentemental[/blue]

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me how different Arome 3 is from Arome 3 Tradition?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Marlen and Scentemental for your - as always - really helpful expertise!

Sounds very appealing... when I'll detect a good offer on eBay, I'll give those a try!

Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    Can anyone tell me how different Arome 3 is from Arome 3 Tradition?
    [blue]I guess I qualify as "anyone", so I'll give it a try.

IMO *Arome 3 Tradition* differs significantly from *Arome 3* to be considered an entirely different fragrance. Whereas, *Arome 3* is an Aromatic Fougère, *Arome 3 Tradition* is more of an Oriental Fougère with a balsamic chypre base. The lavender on top and throughout the drydown is sharper than it is in *Arome 3* and is blended with citrus with a slight touch of fruitiness (the latter two elements are not present in *Arome 3’s* top notes). The middle notes are spicy floral blend (no spice in *Arome 3*), and the basenotes are vetiver, gaiac wood, amber, and melded with that characteristic D’Orsay balsamic chypre accord. *Arome 3 Tradition* is definitely not musky in the drydown, and overall it has a higher, sharper aromatic pitch than *Arome 3* and is, of course, given the chypre element, more on the powdery side in the drydown. Like all D’Orsay’s it is masterfully blended, and, like all D’Orsays, this one also gives one a sense that it’s a fragrance from a bygone era despite the fact that it was created in 1998. Finally, I just noticed that the pyramid for *Arome 3* in the Basenotes directory is incorrectly listed; it's really the pyramid for *Arome 3 Tradition*.

scentemental[/blue]

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald
    Thanks, Marlen and Scentemental for your - as always - really helpful expertise!

Sounds very appealing... when I'll detect a good offer on eBay, I'll give those a try!

Gerald

[blue]You're more than welcome Gerald.

I'd certainly encourage you to try these two fragrances and as many as you can in the D'Orsay line. They are unique and examples of the highest order of the perfumer's art.

Regards,

scentemental[/blue]