Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Am I a Snob?

Default Re: Am I a Snob?

Check out www.chavscum.co.uk for many examples. I think it is mainly the plaid pattern that is the big criminal though, this can be found in cheap knock offs and outlet Burberry sporty (caps, sweatshirts etc) stuff. The catwalk line by Christopher Bailey is a whole different ball game though, well tailored, excentric british couture. Great an ultra expensive. Sorry for going off topic a bit...

MMM

The new Buberry Brit, great fragrance though it is, does have the plaid trademark pattern in overdrive, so sadly is also fast becoming the ultimate chav accesory. Not that I have anything against them using quality fragrances, or will it stop me using it either, but it just means I must hide the bottle every time I get visitors or put up with childish sniggering and comments..(maybe I should change my freinds...lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes
    To give an example, a few years ago, pubs and bars would display signs on the door saying 'No Football Colours', to try and keep undesirables out. This has recently been added to with 'No BUrberry'.
    Hahaha, that's brilliant. Like "no shirts, no shoes, no service", only with designer clothing.

Which reminds me of a hilarious but only mildy related incident: On a school trip to the southern end of North Carolina, we stayed in a very nice fairly expensive hotel that had a similar sign. However, instead of "no shoes no service", or even "No Burberry", the sign read "No Concealed Weapons."

Right. Because weapons in plain sight are completely acceptable. [smiley=grin.gif]

~Silk

Just had to post this example:
    http://www.chavscum.co.uk/4images/de...6e0fde478a8287

Ok, I'll quit now.
    /m

ah bless...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo

My freind you misread it. I love the Burberry fragrances. Those quotes are not from me but from U.K Internet boards, and display the very low image Burberry has in U.K. Sorry whilst it was once a great brand, *here it DOES now in the popular mind at least, equal low life. It's become synonymous with the very lowest section of society, hooligans, teenage delinquents and the urban underclass. How do they afford it? *Who knows, perhaps they buy cheap knock offs or they simply steal it. But that's the image it has either way. I have been criticised for wearing Burberry scents because of it's negative image 9which to me IS snobbery!) and certainly many clubs and nightclubs here would not allow anyone wearing burberry to enter. Sad but true.
    Thanks for the clarification. Interesting. I used to spend quite a bit of time in the UK although its been almost 5 years. I don't recall the associations then that you are saying but...what you are saying sound very muck like the Hilfiger (and even Vuitton) brand here. I know a few designers for Hilfiger and the co is in deep trouble. They have some very wonderful high end items in their "H" line but they can't get past the associations with the underclass that the brand engenders...esp the jeans line. I like the Tommy scent btw...but the brand is forever stuck below water.

Excellent parallel, actually. The nearby mall where I live is quite upscale (boutiques, NM, the like) and anything Tommy is shunned. Yet you go just five more miles to a different mall and Tommy is still huge. The difference is the demographic, which is drastically different between the two sites. The "fashionable mall" has alot of rich kids, bored out of their minds as well as people that just love fashion (and want to spend money accordingly), and a small dash of more mature people still wanting to enjoy the good clothes. The other "ghetto mall" has a much more blue collar population, where Robinson May and Macy's are considered the highest fashion and is inhabited by middle class, college students, and the gangbangers.

Amongst many of the "fashionable" (which is questionable in and of itself) Tommy now has connotations of being low quality, mainly from the large stint in the 90s when the hip-hop community suddenly embraced his work. It would seem Burberry has the same "criminal" connotations over in the UK now, which is sad in some ways but is rightly deserved. It's similar to French Connection, both make some good things but it is weighed down by the horrible crap that goes along with it (though FC made a slightly worse move when turning to FCUK).

Luckily none of my friends care about anything fashionable, be it clothes or fragrances, so my Burberry Brit is still safe. However, I'm sure that if I bought Tommy Hilfiger's Tommy...
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Ballardbeau, I think the verdict on the snob issue is clear--you're not one. I'd just like to chime in with a plug for a scent from one of your "don't own any" designers:

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Awesome. Thanks Steve, I'll try it.

It's funny you should mention that one because several months ago I bought a bottle of it on ebay. When it arrived I noticed it was a woman's frag instead of a man's and returned it. I really didn't give it a chance, which I should have. There are men's and women's versions, right?

I've heard good things about this one.

Your not a snob but, with 230 fragrances, your just a colonge whore kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Awesome. Thanks Steve, I'll try it.

It's funny you should mention that one because several months ago I bought a bottle of it on ebay. When it arrived I noticed it was a woman's frag instead of a man's and returned it. I really didn't give it a chance, which I should have. There are men's and women's versions, right?

I've heard good things about this one.
    No, the women's version is the only one. However, this is one women's fragrance that is not only wearable by men, but arguably much more suited for men. Don't let the women's label put you off--Black Cashmere is mas macho than 99% of the "men's" scents out there.

--Steve

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

[smiley=rolleyes.gif] Very true! But do try to get hold of the discontinued Donna Karan Chaos also, similar to BC but added suede and more balanced - a masterpiece. Oddly enough also marketed toward women...

MMM

yes, you are a snob. [smiley=wink.gif]
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

No, you're not a snob. Everyone else is just an anti-snob snob.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

You don't even bother trying it because of the brand or it's associations=SNOB.

You try it and like it, but don't buy it or wear it because of the brand or its associations=SNOB.

You try it and don't like it so you don't buy it or wear it=NOT A SNOB.

Discuss.

--Steve

Snob is in the eyes of the beholder. Like fragrances, it's not set in stone ... it's an opinion.

Anyway Ballard, I'm really curious that in your 30 plus years of fragrance collecting, if you'ver ever tried DK Fuel. Maybe it's the snob in me ... but I find it impossible for anyone not to LOVE this one (although I'm sure some don't), because it's been my holy grail ever since it's release. I know it's getting harder and harder to find now ... and I just recently paid over $130 for a 2.5 bottle because I can't bear the thought of ever being without it. It's not as hard to find (or should I say impossible) as the Aramis Portos (Yeti) you've been seeking, but I think if you've never tried it, you're doing yourself a great disservice. It's silly, but I'm almost glad they did discontinue it because the chances of anyone else wearing it the same time I do are very slim.

Hey, ya know what ...

I'M a snob! [smiley=lolk.gif]

Wow! Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't tried it but I've read some good things about it here and I'll be on the lookout.