Code of Conduct

Default Atomisers Rampant ?

I have so much enjoyed reading and participating in Basenotes since I first joined and lately I have been musing over what I feel about it.

Basenotes is a Masterclass in fragrance,an Initiatory experience, a Confraternity, a School, a Sounding Board, a Refuge and so much more.

The Grouping here is indeed a very rare one where there is truly room for everyone and respect for each other too.

I love that there are types here so expert in their sensitivity and knowledge of fragrance and so willing to share what they know with others.

This truly deserves recognition.

In the not to distant past, flags were a major part of the communications network. On the field of battle, troops were identified by the Guidion or Standard of the unit.

I am intrigued by the prospect of what the Talented Ones here might come up with as a design for a Basenotes Standard.

I think Basenotes deserves one

Would it be a Gold Shield with Atomisers rampant?

More particularly it might be fun to poll a Motto .

So... a challenge what Banner and Motto do YOU think we should gather under here...?

G

Default Re: Atomisers Rampant ?

Great idea, good question...

Maybe some sort of fragrant tree branches as a border (instead of the usual olive branches), and an atomiser in the middle.

I've no good ideas for a motto...
    I keep coming back to my old "by-line," borrowed from Apocalypse Now, "I love the smell of cologne in the morning! It smells like...victory!"
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

ego plures perfumes , tamen haud aurum

[blue]Our logo should be composed of three letters:[/blue] OCD [smiley=grin.gif]

Guidion, thanks for the fine words about the forum. As a mere member myself I'm very glad to have you here and happy to share thoughts and the board with you. I hope you'll be here for a long time.

About a standard or banner I have to say I like the idea, but it doesn't lend itself to smells does it? Our standard should properly be something we make everyone smell, instead of see, as our legions arive on the field. An incense we throw into buckets of burning coals that we carry, perhaps?

Otherwise, when smells are made into visual images, as in when poop on the sidewalk is drawn in comic books, I love the little squiggling lines that radiate out from the blob to show that it smells. Maybe we can use squiggle lines in a similar way. No poop though.

Post more, Guidion, your thoughts are fun to read and think about.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks Chris. Well we could have a shield with the most preferred flower or Herb leaf on it, a Vetiver root perhaps, with a few other embellishments. Heraldic symbolism is quite structured and there are symbols for everything really.

The Motto can be in any language. We are used to Latin , which I always think sounds appropriate for a motto but since fragrance is quite a lot inspired by France maybe a French Motto might issue from the daring Francophiles.

I had an English one so far;

' Fragrance The World Knows'...no apologies-- its a Motto after all.

G

How about the following motto in french

"sentir, c'est vivre" which translates as "to smell is to live"
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Deux ex machina!

Honi soit qui mal y sent.

--Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

How about "Hey, where did all my money go?"

Explorator Dumpsterorum

My motto suggestion...

Kouros delenda est ! [smiley=tongue.gif]

(j/k i luv it)