Code of Conduct

Default Chanel No. 5 for men ?

Ever since my girlfriend has been wearing Chanel No. 5, I have been completely captivated by its smell -- it simply smells HEAVENLY on her.

Last weekend while driving back home, my right arm was literally glued to my nose as I tried to sniff the last vestiges of No. 5 out of my shirt, and simultaneously maneuver around the traffic. It was then that I decided I should get one of my own; it was far too risky to drive this way!

Have you guys ever contemplated wearing Chanel No. 5 but decided against it (too feminine perhaps)? What did you do instead? Did you settle down to something which smelled similar just because it had the suffix 'Homme' attached to it?

Yes, yes I know one should wear whatever one feels like; I already have a few pour femme's in my wardrobe and have no qualms about wearing them. But Chanel No. 5, a fragrance which is considered by many to be the epitome of femininity, is a lot harder to get away with.

How many of you guys wear No. 5?

Default Re: Chanel No. 5 for men ?

Sounds good to me.

Funny story of relation to your own:

I've recently found that I love love LOVE Michael Kors for women, yet my girlfriend's mother wears it as well. Needless to say, I can't quite bring myself to ever buy it or wear it for that reason, just far to creepy to me.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Never wore it but it one of my top female fragrances of all time. The fragrance is very light clean and slightly powdery. A female friend of mine wore it once and I fell in love with the fragrance on the spot. If applied lightly, a guy could wear this no problem.

[blue]Godzilla

I've worn it/wear it on occasion. The trick is--and I am going to repeat the exact advice I gave re: wearing *Rive Gauche* for women--as with most women's fragrances, go very, very lightly on application. *Chanel No. 5* has enough sillage and character to be applied very sparingly. I would suggest using a roll-on for application rather than a spray. One quick short swipe of the roll-on at the base of the ear on the neck on each side, another in the hollow below the adams apple, and one on the neck right above the shirt collar ought to do it. Actually, that's probably too much for *Chanel No. 5*. I'd skip the base of the ear swipes and just go with a quick swipe of the roll-on at hollow area at the base of the neck below the adam's apple and one on the neck right above the shirt collar. That should be enough for you to smell this divine fragrance and enough for anyone to get a bare whisper of the fragrance. In fact, many women tend to overdo this very powerful fragrance, which can suck the air of a room in no time if applied too heavily.

scentemental[/blue]

I like this frag alot. But it's too recognisable that it's impossible to wear on myself. The closest thing to this is the discontinued Ho Hang Club.

I contemplated wearing it for a while but I bought a bottle of Coco instead.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I like No.5 too, but can't imagine to wear it myself, it's too powerful and smells better on a girl.
    But have you ever tried Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle? It has some similarities with C No.5, but is more masculine and could be "No.5 for men".

I have read messages on this board before asking the same question you are in regards to Chanel no.5. Its been many many years since i smelled it so the other day i went to macy to try it out. When i smelled it my first reaction was that a man could not possible wear it. I did not try it on my skin though. Also, when men wear "womens's scents" peoples olfactory perceptions of the scent is different than if they were smelling the same scent on a woman. If you are a macho, masculine type of guy I dont think most people would smell your fragrance and think you are wearing a "womens scent".

I am in the same situation as you with another "womens scent" though. I purchased a bottle of Quelqes Fleurs from perfume emporium a few weeks ago. I absolutely love the floral tobacco mix of this scent. But, it also is very heady and is very perfumey smelling so i have not had the courage to wear it to work just yet. I guess i should take my above advice and not worry about it. But i'll wear it to work one day, i promise. [smiley=smiley.gif]

In regards to Chanel no.5 again, though, I think i am going to go and test drive it on my skin and see how it developes. Also, since you bought a bottle of it, wear it, but wear it lightly. Only one or two sprays. I dont thnk you will have any problem whatsoever with only 1 or 2 sprays of it. Part of my problem is that i put to much on, like 8, 9, or 10 sprays so thats probably why i have not wanted to wear Quelqes Fleurs to work yet. With mens scents you can usually get away with applying very heavily, not not with most "womens scents". They are parfums so they are to strong to apply like that.
    Awesomeguy

I also love NO.5 but I can't see myself wearing it.

I went for NO.22 instead. It has similar top- and middlenotes but a deeper, spicier base with a great, dark incense note. And even in EdT strenght, No.22 is extremely powerful.

Rose d'Homme reminds me of Chanel No. 5 slightly, though I think a rose note is all they share. If you like scents on the sweet side, but don't want to be too recognizable, give Rose d'Homme a shot.

Chanel No. 5 surely must be one of the few perfumes in the world that's not only known by name, but instantly recognizable to anyone. Would everyone recognize Polo in a crowd? Or Obsession? I can't think of very many others with the same instantaneous "Hey! You're wearing --- " recognition factor.

I know this is a little off-topic but here goes:
    Can No.19 and Cuir de Russie be worn by men too?

I have the same problem with you. I really want to start wearing a women’s perfume but I am afraid its widely known and recognizable. Mine is Angel. What I do is I usually spray my wrist as I would do if I wanted to try it. Therefore people don’t smell it very easily but I can smell it whenever I want whereas if I applied it behind my ears I would never be able to smell it. But if you are confident you should try it.

The thing is that people don’t judge objectively. I am sure that people who don’t know the smell would never think you are wearing a female fragrance. Only people who recognize it would comment, if they are rude. And that is simply because marketing is so powerful and has made them think that it smells “feminine”. As goes for many perfumes for men. I know women wearing them and at the same time marketing says “a masculine smell for the man who dares” or that kind of *rap!

So my conclusion is choose the smell you like and makes you feel good and ignore the marketing and packaging. Not to mention that there is no “for men” or “for women” written on most of these…

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    I know this is a little off-topic but here goes:
    Can No.19 and Cuir de Russie be worn by men too?

[blue]Take my response above to the question asked originally about *Chanel No. 5* and substitute *Chanel No. 19* or *Cuir de Russie* and you have my answer for your question, an emphatic yes. Again, it's really a matter of how much you apply. With such fragrances, the more subtly they are applied and worn the more easily they can be worn and appreciated by all.

scentemental[/blue]

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    Also, when men wear "womens's scents" *peoples olfactory perceptions of the scent is different than if they were smelling the same scent on a woman.
    Right you are! Out spraying stuff with my brother, he tried on Chance - I was shocked... How much more feminine can it get!? Downright little girly even lol - but as we proceeded out of the store the sillage coming off him was really suprising - didn't smell feminine in the least - In fact, it didn't even smell like Chance really.

I think a lot has to do with concentration when wearing womens scents as well. I've always found in almost every case, the EDP or Parfum concentrations are much easier for a man to carry - just a deeper richer essence with more basenotes - blends better with the skin as well. #5 Parfum, it is NOTHING like the EDT (which I think they've cheapened over the years dispite what they say) and I'd wear the EDP or Parfum anyday - awesome fragrance.