Code of Conduct

Default Most Popular Italian Made Fragrances In Italy

Since I am an Italian-American, I am very interested in what fragrances actually made in Italy are the most popular in Italy.

My favorites are Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme (I wore it twice already, with the regular Bulgari PH bath products, and it is rapidly moving up my list of favorites) and Salvatore Ferragamo Subtil. I also own Versace L'homme and Dolce Gabbana PH. Grigio Perla will soon be my next purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Most Popular Italian Made Fragrances In Italy

I went on vacation to Italy the last two weeks and visited -among many other beautiful cities- Capri (home of Carthusia) and Firenze (home of Lorenzo Villoresi). I noticed that the first one appeared in many niche stores throughout Italy although it's certainly less well known than the latter. Maybe you could try one of their scents (Numero Uno or Uomo are their masculin perfumes) if you can get a hold of it.

In Milano, I asked a shop assistant if they had a special/rare and typically Italian perfume. She returned with... Aqua Di Gio [smiley=embarassed.gif]

I don't know the boys, but I am 35 years old and the fav. of my friends are :
    dolce e gabbana, Fahrenheit , bulgari, and something by armani.
    for niche I think villoresi or creed.
    ciao

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    In Milano, I asked a shop assistant if they had a special/rare and typically Italian perfume. She returned with... Aqua Di Gio *[smiley=embarassed.gif]
    Oh no!

Nothing against Aqua Di Gio, but "special/rare"?? And it's made in France...

Post Thanks / Like

I very much like the whole Etro line. I think they are made in Italy.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    And it's made in France...
    And so is Creed and Christian Dior (Fahrenheit)...

Quote Originally Posted by dino
    I don't know *the boys, but I am 35 years old and the fav. of my friends are :
    dolce e gabbana, Fahrenheit *, bulgari, and something by armani.
    for niche I think villoresi or creed.
    ciao
    sorry for the fragrance made in italy I think dolce e gabbana ,etro,villoresi

I am curoious to try to Villoresi fragrances from what I read here on Basenotes. I have to see where in New York I can sample them.

Post Thanks / Like

Azzaro pour Homme remains as top ten best selling men's cologne in Italy for many years. Not sure about the recent years though...

I am curoious to try to Villoresi fragrances from what I read here on Basenotes. I have to see where in New York I can sample them.
    I want to sample them a lot more too. Have only smelled their musk scent so far, and I think it is marvelous.

Dino is right. I am Italian and living in Rome and the thing is, you don't smell a lot of scents on people on the street. When you do, the Italian ones are gonna be AdG and D&G pour Homme. D&G was extremely popular a couple of years ago.

Aedes de Venustas carries Villoresi (and a lot of other niche / artisanal lines)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzcut
    [quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1126014971/0#7 date=1126020792]I am curoious to try to Villoresi fragrances from what I read here on Basenotes. I have to see where in New York I can sample them.

Aedes de Venustas carries Villoresi (and a lot of other niche / artisanal lines)[/quote]

Thanks! I just looked at their website and I will definitely check out the store.

Post Thanks / Like

The most popular scent in Italy, judging by shelf space, has to be Malizia Uomo - I think it's their equivalent to what Brut is in the US and Australia. And Malizia is a pretty good, long lasting, vetiver scent.

The perfume shops over there had all the standards (e.g. Armani, CK, Dior, Moschino etc) plus heaps of slightly cheaper scents by Sergio Tacchini and Gai Mattioli, and some Luciano Pavarotti ones as well. A few of the latter ones were quite good (I bought Gai Mattioli's "That's Amore&quot, but some I thought pretty average.

Aqua di Portofino was mainly sold in lots of places that also sold niche scents, and it was relatively expensive. Fortunately, I'd gotten mine very cheaply in Australia.
    Renato

Pro Fumum Durante Roma is very interesting perfume-maker. But it`s not so popular selective.
    Somebody who know about its range?
    Fumidus (vetiver and birchtree(or birchtar?)) and Lalba (almond, tobacco, amber) are the only names I know. The first sound very interesting for me...

Also - how all guys could forget Santa Maria Novella range??

Vetiver The Great!!!

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I don't know how popular they are in Italy,but Mazzolari is a damn good line of fragrances out of Milan.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Etro line is probably among the most interesting lines on the whole from an Italian house. Keep in mind though that I have not tried LV.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    [quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1126014971/0#7 date=1126020792]I am curoious to try to Villoresi fragrances from what I read here on Basenotes. I have to see where in New York I can sample them.
    I want to sample them a lot more too. Have only smelled their musk scent so far, and I think it is marvelous.[/quote]

Takashimaya on Fifth.

Takashimaya
    693 Fifth Avenue at 54th Street
    New York, NY 10022
    (212)350-0100

Go to the sixth floor and sample not only their complete line of Villoresi but also Antica Farmacista, Santa Maria Novella and others like Costes, The Different Company etc. WELL worth the visit.

Then saunter up fifth to the Chanel boutique on 57th and go wild. Then onto Barneys where you will have a ball with the guys behind the fragrance counter. Lots of good stuff there. Finally, end up at Caron on Madison to sample the extraits from the very opulent gold and crystal fountains.

Then go home ladened with scent to nurse your empty, wounded wallet.

Griff

Griff

So on my last trip to Italy the most popular scents of choice with the Italian boys were Gai Mattiolo and Bulgari Blue Notte. in fact, Blue Notte was everywhere! I couldn't get away from it.

So I bought some.

Griff
    Griff

I agree with Leo, AdG and D&G are very popular (the same goes for my hometown in Finland). There are a lot of good perfume shops selling niche/artisanal fragrances, but no one I know in Rome has ever set foot in one of them. Even in small towns you can find places selling Lutens and LV's. The sales assistants are usually very happy when I show interest in Etro or SMN and say that it's not often a young guy like me (27) ask for this kind of stuff.

The only Italian niche/artisanal/not designer scent I freguently encounter is Aqua di Parma. Usually on elderly ladies.