Code of Conduct

Default Reccomendation on URBAN-PREPPY Scent

well as i embark on my senior year of high school, it's time for an early treat before the holiday season ( [smiley=cheesy.gif]that's when the fragrance fun really begins!!) ...i've been changing my style of dress lately, a more urban preppy type thing as I become more involved in local and state politics. so it's time to buy a cologne that best exemplifies a young, fresh, urban, sophisticated, preppy aura. many of those terms might be a little contradictory, but then again perhaps the scent i'm looking for should qualify on multiple levels.

all recommendations and advice will be helpful and seriously considered...and thanx for taking the time

Default Re: Reccomendation on URBAN-PREPPY Scent

Get Unforgivable when P Diddy releases the fragrance, and for the meantime, get something that he personally wears....Creed Millesime Imperial.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Yep. Millesime Imperial. I'm wearing it right now! Perhaps look into Original Vetiver if you want a Creed.

Also: Lanvin L'Homme, Gendarme, Dolce and Gabbana By Man, John Varvatos.

Echo by Davidoff is pretty urban. It's also one dimensional, but very urban.

If you want to make a statement and making a transition from college slacker to business professional then I suggest Kouros. Wearing this will show that you are a confident individual who can't be easily swayed from your values.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Get Unforgivable when P Diddy releases the fragrance, and for the meantime, get something that he personally wears....Creed Millesime Imperial.
    I haven't done much research on Unforgivable, but I don't find Creed MI very urban; in fact, I find it almost classical in the way its blended. SMW would be a much more urban Creed to try.

And why are are we focusing on P. Diddy??!??

FYI: the "P" has been officially dropped from Mr. Sean Combs' entertainment persona, hence I also now go by "diddy49" instead of "pdiddy49".

regarding the focus on diddy, i have no idea, and can you guys think of any designer colognes that might resemble what i'm looking for.

claiborne sport smells good for urban preppy/yuppie types

I'm not sure what every different person means by "urban," but I think MI is very urban in a midtown Manhattan kind of way. *My ideas would be:

Niche: *MI (very high on the sophistication and understatement scale, in my opinion, and unmistakable)

Designer-Quasi-Niche: *CDG 3, CDG Jaisalmer

Designer: *Eau Sauvage

Affordable: *Agua Lavanda
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Well, how about Lacoste Original?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    I'm not sure what every different person means by "urban," but I think MI is very urban in a midtown Manhattan kind of way. My ideas would be:

Niche: MI (very high on the sophistication and understatement scale, in my opinion, and unmistakable)

Designer-Quasi-Niche: CDG 3, CDG Jaisalmer

Designer: Eau Sauvage

Affordable: Agua Lavanda

I think ‘urban’ may be subjective in this case, but I use the default “Characteristic of the city or city life” definition.

Now, I know it’s subjective, but I generally don’t find sparkling citrus to be conducive of city life. I can see how some one would find MI urban, but I find the composition of MI to be a bit too dramatic and luxurious to remind me of an ‘urban chic’ environment. Creed Silver Mountain Water is much more urban in my opinion; the currant and transparent wood in SMW gives it a more mannered and humorless personality, like a city, but then again, everyone’s idea of urban is different. I’ve only been to Manhattan once.

I will STRONGLY disagree about Eau Sauvage being urban. Eau Sauvage is an herbal citrus that is reminiscent of the country side. It’s also so classical. I don’t want to say that classic fragrances can’t be urban, because I don’t feel that’s true; Tabac Blond, for example is incredibly urban, but I feel Eau Sauvage was never progressive enough to be classified as urban.

I still stand by Echo being a very urban scent. Here is the marketing brief:

“The new men’s scent from Davidoff expresses the intensity of urban life. While staying true to the brand’s restrained elegance, Echo nevertheless confirms the trend for fragrances composed from virtual notes, meant to translate the scents of the city.”

I’d also add that a lot of Bond No. 9 fragrances lean toward the urban side. Wall Street, for example has a lot of the traits you mentioned. If you are looking to stick with designer fragrances, I’d recommend giving a lot of Cartier fragrances a try. Most of Cartier’s fragrances have a very urban and chic nature to them. Must, while being a well made oriental, has a very clean and minimalist personality. You must try all Cartier fragrances.

I think 'urban' and what I envision is Givenchy pour Homme. For a number of reasons, starting from the bottle design and ending with the fragrance itself.

Bulgari Black has always come across as extremely urban to me. Give that one a try.

MMM

Wow - this is exactly what I considered Paco Rabanne PH in the late 1970's and 1980's!

From my wardrobe, I say Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme and Boucheron Pour Homme (urban professional class in a bottle).

Oopps, duplicate post - please ignore!

I don't know Echo but I wouldn't want to put too much stock in anyone's marketing materials, especially ones that evoke moods without saying anything concrete. *If you buy the marketing, I guess pretty much every Bond No. 9 is "urban."

For many people the concepts of "preppy" and "urban" probably pull in opposite directions, with the former representing an ethic of tradition and restraint and the latter a spirit of adventure in embracing "the intensity of urban life," "the scents of the city" or whatever. *An archetypal preppy would never be a fragrance collector or think he needed different scents for different moods, events or seasons. *Such a person would be unaffected by "urban" influences and would continue wearing whatever he wore in school. *So to get "urban preppy" I kind of have to use my imagination a bit. *I'll admit I put ES in there exactly because citrus is so classic, and because no other clothes designer's fragrance came to mind as remotely preppy (perhaps there's something from J. Press I don't know about). *But of course citrus scents can be very appropriate and very welcome in the big city precisely because they are brisk and fresh and you have no lime groves in the city. *SMW would be another good choice--I find it and MI are really very similar.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

I could recommend Creed fragrances all day as I love them. However, it sounds like you need to check out Kenneth Cole Reaction! It the freshest, cheaper fragrance that I own with a great drydown!

All of these would be great for you.

212 men by Carolina Herrera
    A&F Fierce
    Hollister Drift
    Polo Blue
    Chic by Carolina Herrera

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!! The #1 rule in fragrance.