Code of Conduct

Default REVIEW: Armani Prive Ambre Soie

Ambre Soie is one of the 4 fragrances in the Armani Prive collection, Giorgio Armani's attempt to create a set of personal and unique fragrances that no one else would be wearing, “My private collection of fragrances was to be just that: a collection I created to give as a gift to my close friends.” click London Times

Ambre Soie (French for "Amber Silk&quot is composed of amber, patchouli, cinnamon, clove and ginger. A simple scent, really, warm and spicey, with a sweet edge, Ambre Soie reminds me of Zuko Senko or Japanese Body Incense (click Zuko). The opening is rich and spicey - all of the notes announce their presence together - but there is little development from this point. This is a dry, resinous fragrance that stays close to the skin as would fit its name though the composition itself does nothing to conjure images of silk. Overall, I'm reminded of Guerlain's Heritage - if Guerlain created a Heritage light and charged 4 times the current price, this would be it. The scent does last well on my skin, still there like an echo after 6 hours and this is one of the first amber-based scents that I don't find overly-cloying or overpowering. The addition of the spices conjures images of a dry Saharan landscape, and Indian market or a Japanese temple depending on your mind's associations.

Now, I've read that price was no limit and that supposedly natural essences were blended with synthetic ones in an attempt to capture perfectly the smells of Northern Africa that so enchanted Armani. For fans of scents like Dyptique's L'Eau Trois or Comme des Garcons' Eau de Parfum, this scent will be warmly recieved. This is nothing like L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme or MPG's Ambre Precieux - both sweet, full-bodied, powdery ambers. For those who find these types of ambers too much, Armani Ambre Soie will also be a welcome surprise.

Armani Ambre Soie is available at Armani boutiques around the world, $185 US or 120 Pounds Sterling.

Default Re: REVIEW: Armani Prive Ambre Soie

I sampled this and although it is ok, it did not capture me. Of that line, I liked the jade the best.

[blue]An excellent, concise, and thorougly informative review Marlen. Many thanks.

scentemental[/blue]

[red]P.S. I wonder how many of Mr. Armani's close friends feel now "everyone" will be wearing his "private" fragrances?[/red]

Well, I thnk the bottle are kind of cheap. For that price, I did not expect the cheap design of the bottle. So, I don't feel that the bottle will feel special among my collection and the juice inside is mediocrity at it's finest.